Old 05-20-2015, 01:00 PM   #21

Yup, as you can tell everyone does this a little differently to accomplish the same thing: parking the TT, not running over anything , and still on speaking terms after you stop. Yes, I get out and look at the site to get an overall feeling of what to do, what to avoid, and we discuss these items. So for us, we have walkie-talkies and the wife does the directing while I back up. She stands on the side of the TT where she can see if it is going where it is supposed to go or if it is in danger of striking something. Early on we established the "standard" responses that we both understood. As most campsites require backing in which requires turning, we use "turn more" or "turn less" along with "straighten up", "keep coming" and the old standby "STOP!" Directing someone to turn left or right will depend on who's left and right you are talking about - confusing. There are times when I have backed most of the way into the site and the DW will tell me to come look to see if this is where I want to be or just to discuss a particular point.
The point is to not yell, use the radios. Once you start raising your voices it becomes difficult to tell if you are just communicating or becoming irritated. Take your time, this is NOT a timed event. Camping is FUN! And indeed, practice will make this easier every time.

D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:01 PM   #22

From drivers perspective - set you mirrors so you can see the trailer wheels. the trailer goes where the wheels go - if the left wheel is hte inside on a turn and near the edge of the spot then the other wheel, you can't see, is 8' away and certainly near nothing it can hit.

to go back straight watch the mirrors and sides of trailer - hand on TOP of the steering wheel - move the wheel to the side you see the trailer side in the mirror.

If can see the tires you can 'draw' a line where you want them to go and using the mirrors and above technique put the tires, and therefore the trailer, exactly where you want it.

I would like help at times, but I've pulled trailers alone a lot and have had to figure out how to do this without help, or with only a 10 year old and barking dog for help.

Learning the mirror thing and hand on top had made a world of difference.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:08 PM   #23

I had something like this installed on our TT. http://www.amazon.com/KTH-4CH-Wirele...cameras+for+rv

Had one camera installed as rear view, one looking down each side, and one used on the hitch for ease of hookup. Since it's wireless, I didn't have to hassle with any cables between the TT and the tow vehicle.

It's a bit of money, but it's cheaper than the insurance deductible. Rear view camera was too far back to be picked up in the tow, so I used some RG-6 coax, and remotely located the rear camera's antenna on the front of the TT. Worked fantastic!
Old 05-20-2015, 01:13 PM   #24

My advice is to TAKE YOUR TIME AND KEEP YOUR COOL! If you have to change direction, pull forward or start over - do it and don't worry about who's watching or waiting. Most everyone has been there at one time or another. If you start yelling at your spouse, be prepared to sleep in the truck!
Old 05-20-2015, 01:17 PM   #25

As a brand newbie myself (so far have only driven it home and backed in once).

Cell phones rather than walkie talkies...she talks, I listen (on speaker), there is no talking over each other that way.

I have to back into my driveway blind side and honestly I didn't even look for her. I watched the trailer while she talked. I am sure it was a fluke but we got it in the narrow drive in one shot. We have marked the side of the drive with a reflector so we know exactly where the trailer tires will need to be inside of from now on. I watched the blind side, she watched the drivers side.
As was mentioned if there is any doubt what the director is telling the driver, Get Out And Look!
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 Diesel
Bowhnter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:21 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhnter View Post
As a brand newbie myself (so far have only driven it home and backed in once).

Cell phones rather than walkie talkies...she talks, I listen (on speaker), there is no talking over each other that way.

I have to back into my driveway blind side and honestly I didn't even look for her. I watched the trailer while she talked. I am sure it was a fluke but we got it in the narrow drive in one shot. We have marked the side of the drive with a reflector so we know exactly where the trailer tires will need to be inside of from now on. I watched the blind side, she watched the drivers side.
As was mentioned if there is any doubt what the director is telling the driver, Get Out And Look!
This scares me on two issues:
1. Relying on technology that can fail. Dropped call or garbled voice and what then?
2. Never back up if you cannot see your ground guide. If the next thing you hear is UUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH, you have gone too far.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:26 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
My wife stands behind and points which direction the rear of the trailer needs to go. I keep her in sight in the moirror. If she isn't in sight, I stop. She will switch sides occasionally and when she does I stop until she is in my sight in the other mirror.
When she screams you know you've gone far enough?

Backing as a single is a little more entailed, but doable. Borrow a neighbors lawn chair and place at the rear corner about a foot further back than where you intend to stop. Back quickly in a single smooth motion. When you hear a 'crunch'... brake quickly, pull forward a foot and you're done!

That extra foot helps to dislodge your neighbors chair from under your tire.

Most importantly, don't forget to promptly take the chair remains and wedge it under the rear tire of your neighbors rig.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:38 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
This scares me on two issues:
1. Relying on technology that can fail. Dropped call or garbled voice and what then?
2. Never back up if you cannot see your ground guide. If the next thing you hear is UUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH, you have gone too far.
I guess I should say that she talked constantly, so I always had assurance of where I was.

Point taken on the visual though, I will make sure I can see the director.
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 Diesel
Bowhnter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:39 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhnter View Post
I guess I should say that she talked constantly,

Don't they all?
Old 05-20-2015, 01:44 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
Don't they all?
Dunno.. does She?? Haven't listened to word she's said in ages.