Old 05-20-2015, 01:47 PM   #31

That's a medical condition you have. Selective listening.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:56 PM   #32

Lots of good advise here. One thing I try to do when possible if I can is to back in on the drivers side so you can see better. I try to avoid blindside backing even though I do not have any trouble I like being able to see. Take your time and remember GOAL, never hurts to take a minutes to look to be sure.

Camp as often as we can
Steven379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:56 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
When she screams you know you've gone far enough?
I haven't gone far enough until she stops screaming!

I saw something the other day that said:

Husbands are great for wives to tell secrets to. They never tell anyone because they weren't listening in the first place.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:57 PM   #34

I concur with watching YouTube videos. I did and it was really helpful for me and my wife to know how to better communicate and what to look for. Remember, the trailer's wheels are the fulcrum where you need to turn so when the wheels reach the turning point, that's where you inform him left or right and how hard.

Here's a good video I recommend: - this one is just one person doing it himself but great tips!

Here's one with couples:
Follow my blog: americanbluestreak.com
donhillphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:58 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
That's a medical condition you have. Selective listening.
I know... I know... I was diagnosed several years back and given a prescription that really seems to have help... metaearplugsoxin.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:00 PM   #36

I would invest in a rear view camera that takes a lot of the guess work out of the backing and your husband can see everything better. You just need to let him know if he is getting close to anything and when he has made his make for set up.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:01 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
Husbands are great for wives to tell secrets to. They never tell anyone because they weren't listening in the first place.
Now that'sa goodin right there!!
Old 05-20-2015, 02:16 PM   #38
Grumpy Old Curmudgeon

First go slow. If in doubt stop and you and driver talk. There is no substitute for practice practice practice. Over a period of time you will work out what side is best for your team. I like my wife to stand where i can see her. If i am confused I stop and get out and talk it over with her. She does a great job. But it has taken both of us working and having lots of patience with each other to get where we are at.
Marauderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 03:12 PM   #39

Drivers side is the easiest backing...go slow! No need to hurry. I personally can't do the hand on the bottom thing...it messes me up more than hand on top lol. I always walk the site with DW first and we figure out where we want the trailer. That's pretty much where she stands...and since we walked it down I have an idea what's on the passenger side. But I still stop and have her check that side to be sure. We use cell phones at night or yell in the daylight. Definitely don't be afraid to use your outside voice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-20-2015, 03:16 PM   #40

Relax!

DH and I call each other on our cell phones and put them on speaker. Whoever is driving sets the phone on the dashboard or their lap. It allows for hands-free, open communication.The person outside gives directions on which way the back end of the camper needs to swing, as well as how far. A typical command would be "the back of the camper needs to move 5 feet toward the river." And there's the occasional, "Pull out and start all over again!" LOL
Few people, besides me, admit this publicly, but watching folks back into their spots is a form of entertainment! It's also a chance to glean some tips.
We've all been there and can relate to whatever trouble you're having. If you go about it with the right attitude (you're not going to get it right your first time out, or almost any other time for that matter) you'll be fine. Also, it's less stressful to start all over than to gee-haw back and forth ten times.
Relax and enjoy the foibles of backing in as part of the whole camping experience.