Old 05-20-2015, 03:39 PM   #41

Try looking at the video's from longlonghoneymoon.com I found it very informative. For backing up tt.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:54 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger60 View Post
We purchased our first TT in January. Got it out of storage in April and first thing took it to a empty parking lot for my husband to practice backing up. We set saw horses on each side of a parking space and I was the one trying to help him back in. I had no idea where to stand, what to tell him as far as directing him, etc. We just purchased walkie-talkies so he can hear me but I have no idea what directions to give him. When we were practicing, he had me stand on the door side of the camper but if I stand on one side of the unit, how am I going to see how things are going on the other side of the camper? We need help soon because our first camping trip is coming up next week. Would love any tips we can get on how to do it right.
Stand on the door side, that is his blind side. He can see the driver's side with his mirror and by turning his head.

Basically I just need my husband or son to tell me if I'm going to hit something, and tell me when I'm good and can stop backing in. Other than that I do these things that help me back in with little trouble:

1)Get towing mirrors that allow you to see where your trailer tires touch the pavement (AT LEAST on the drivers side, on passenger side if able).

2)Pull well past the site you are backing into. Dont be tempted to stay real close to one side or the other on the pavement. Just normally drive past the site until your trailer tires are a few feet past the entrance to the spot. You'll need those few feet to begin executing a turn in reverse.

3)Put your hand on the BOTTOM of the steering wheel and turn it in the direction you want the trailer to go. If my hand is on the bottom of the steering wheel and I turn it toward my drivers side door, the trailer will move toward my left. FYI sites on the left side of the road are a bit easier to back into as a beginner than those on the right because the driver's "good side" is the side that can be seen when angled to back in.

4)I watch my trailer tires, and keep them following the pavement as I back in. If my trailer tires are following closely the pavement on my side, it's unlikely i'm about to hit something on the other side, but still I have a spotter to be sure a tree didn't jump up and move when I began backing in.

5)Spotter says whoa with voice and a hand signal I can see in my mirrors when I should stop backing. Their job is to make sure my power and water connections are in reach of the sources, and my slide will clear any obstacles.

Sometimes my husband gets a wild hair and starts to tell me "more left, more right" etc. To that I wonder "who's left? what? huh? Am I gonna hit something? It's confusing. If he points in one direction I'll comply and steer the trailer in that direction, but other than that, my job is "back in without hitting anything where our power, water, slide, and awning will all work within reason". I don't care if I'm a little crooked on the site. This is often fixed when I pull forward onto leveling blocks anyway. I simply need my spotter to yell STOP if I"m gonna hit something. That's pretty much it.

It will take a few trips to get the feel of when the trailer begins to react to changes at the steering wheel. Each trailer is different. it might begin turning in 2 feet, or 4, or 8. Once you know how much space you need for the trailer to obey steering input, it gets much easier.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:57 PM   #43
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by losttogether View Post
Few people, besides me, admit this publicly, but watching folks back into their spots is a form of entertainment!
It certainly is.

There have been many weekends that I've sat out on my deck with a cold beverage watching the weekenders backing into their sites thinking to myself how glad I am that I don't have to deal with it anymore.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:02 PM   #44
Somewhat right of center

The wife and I use speaker phone to communicate. She knows where to stand even when I can't see her. She's checking high and low and relaying it to me......plus I get out a few times just to see how I'm doing, especially if it's a tight spot.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:05 PM   #45

One thing we had to fix...silence. I had to tell her several times to say...looks good or keep coming etc... Silence is my killer until you hear NO that's not right and start over.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:41 PM   #46
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

I back and park by myself. I find a) use the mirrors (adjusted as you turn and go to show the ground and tires) for about 90%. b)Then physically get out and look and make your own determination. c) I do this maybe 2 times and it's spot on. I've backed our TT onto 2x8's from a 90 degree angle the first time within 4 inches of our deck without having to readjust.
No matter how good our communication relationship is, I find it better to see for myself.

Nothing replaces practice, practice, and practice except experience, experience, experience.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:41 PM   #47

Trailer Backing Hand Signals

Attached RV hand backing signals are a great way of communicating.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV Trailer Hand Signals for Backing.pdf (225.5 KB, 55 views)
Old 05-20-2015, 04:56 PM   #48
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendodom View Post
Attached RV hand backing signals are a great way of communicating.
#EXCELLENT reference!
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:08 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxcamper View Post
I back and park by myself. I find a) use the mirrors (adjusted as you turn and go to show the ground and tires) for about 90%. b)Then physically get out and look and make your own determination. c) I do this maybe 2 times and it's spot on. I've backed our TT onto 2x8's from a 90 degree angle the first time within 4 inches of our deck without having to readjust.
No matter how good our communication relationship is, I find it better to see for myself.

Nothing replaces practice, practice, and practice except experience, experience, experience.
^^This. Nothing but practice will will gain you a feel for backing up. Granted I used to drive truck, but when I show up by myself and some well meaning camper offers to help "guide me in" I always decline. It is good to have a second set of eyes to make sure you dont hit anything but the maneuvering should be up to the driver. I usually get out and check a couple times to see for myself. When I see a wife, guiding her husband back into the site when the husband is not skilled it usually ends up in a fight. Campsites are easy. You need skills for parking lots, gas stations, etc... You should not be out on the road if you are not confident in your abilities.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:38 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

I'm retired military and it was quite comical trying to teach my very civilian wife military backup hand signals!!

I just have her stand on the side that I cannot see, way back near the end of the trailer, and she calls me on the iPhone and I have mine on speaker so it's on the truck speakers. (So if I'm backing to the right, the passenger side, she'll stand on the left side and keep me from hitting stuff.)

But even with our method, I find myself getting out of the truck quite a lot because I usually hear..."STOP...come and look"

6-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote