Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2015, 07:41 AM   #61

One really important thing is, with all that looking behind you, remember to pay attention to where the TV front wheels are. Dents in fenders from unaccomodating trees can suck.
Find the speed that is right, open all your windows, worse comes to worse call the CG office for help.
Last year had the CG owner directing; done in one shot, and he ws in his golf cart and gone in a minute.
Always remember, learning under stress only works sometimes. Prsctice as relaxed as you can be.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:33 AM   #62

Amen on watching your front fenders! Our first storage area was VERY tight getting backed in and they had some very nice, very strong, bollards (pipe in the ground for protection) at the corners of a building that was right across from our parking area. The big issue was they are not tall enough for me to see over the hood and fenders of the truck so very possible to cave in the fender accidentally. Hence we decided that the DW would walk around with the radio to watch my clearance at front, as well as assist at the back. She is good about continously talking and telling me how I am doing (that is another thread altogether!) If I am not hearing her often, telling me it is looking good "keep coming", or some other directions, I begin to worry the radio isn't working. BTW we have never had a radio issue. We can pretty much back into anything now, not quickly, but we can get there and still be on speaking terms.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:16 AM   #63
Site Team

Basic backup tool is to put hand at bottom position of steering wheel. (6:00 position) rear of trailer will go the direction you push the steering wheel.
Parking.... Stop and walk around spot first. Look for low limbs, water faucets, elected post etc. Then plan where you want to go. Have a spotter watching your face in the side view mirror to warn of any hazards while you back. If you cab not see your spotter in the mirror STOP until they come back into view.
Practice in large empty lot will help.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:23 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSY DD693 View Post
This is a great site and we really enjoy our informative evening email readings from all of you. God Bless our troops, past and present, fly Old Glory and have a safe and enjoyable Memorial Day!
Off topic... but curiosity is killing me. Where do you haul your swing set during travel? Does it break down much?
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:44 PM   #65

When backing up place your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel, turn steering right and tail of trailer will go right. Turn steering wheel left tail of trailer will go left.
kuhntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:56 PM   #66

Apparently, the 2016 F150 is going to have this:
2016 Ford F-150 adds trailer backup-assist feature

By the time it comes out, maybe you will be able to use your iPhone and just tilt it left and right This should make for some REALLY bad backing adventures and a load of laughs at the campground.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 04:02 PM   #67

Congrats on the new TT!
I agree on the bottom of the steering wheel comments, and the Youtube videos.
I used to really sweat backing up. It took me about 10 trips to get 100% confidence. If you have children or pets, I recommend getting them away from the process - they'll only add to the frustration (take them for a walk during the process, or tell them to keep quiet, etc.). Like others have mentioned, we've all been through it, so there's no shame in taking multiple passes to back into a spot. Try to be patient when he's backing up and ignore any snarky comments he may make while backing up - it used to be the most stressful part of my earlier trips. Before you know it, it'll be routine.

2 Kids
sequoiaguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 04:09 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
Apparently, the 2016 F150 is going to have this:
2016 Ford F-150 adds trailer backup-assist feature

By the time it comes out, maybe you will be able to use your iPhone and just tilt it left and right This should make for some REALLY bad backing adventures and a load of laughs at the campground.

All that tech and it is still sideways to the world...good thing I comes with an off switch.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:50 PM   #69

It may already been mentioned somewhere in this 4 page post, but taking the trailer brakes off helps. I have a 36 foot fifth wheel and that is the first step before I back. You can run the electric brake back to zero and the trailer seems to roll easier. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
C. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:32 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSgt (Ret) Charlie Brown View Post
It may already been mentioned somewhere in this 4 page post, but taking the trailer brakes off helps. I have a 36 foot fifth wheel and that is the first step before I back. You can run the electric brake back to zero and the trailer seems to roll easier. Just my 2 cents.
I am really confused about this. My TT brakes don't apply unless the TV vehicle brakes are being applied and the electronic unit senses that braking action through a pendulum or electronic sensor that measures the forces changing. If the TT brakes are applying during backing maneuvers, I am thinking you are backing up way too fast!
es'plain it to me Lucy... cuz I don't get it.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:44 PM   #71

as soon as we pull in the campground, I send my wife to the store for ice. by the time she gets back, with walkies in hand, I'm putting the awnings up, camp chairs out, and got the camp fire started!
peterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:09 AM   #72

After a couple of failed attempts with bad guidance. I put DW behind the wheel and I have her the same crappy guidance she gave me. She figured out how frustrating it is to see a finger twitching from 35' away in a mirror. Now she is a parking queen. Clear and precise direction every time.

Funny story about cell phones. Camping neighbor comes over to help us back in. Says to me "typical woman, your wife is on the phone not helping you a bit, I'll help you". I had to tell him that she was on phone with me via Bluetooth in TV and heard what you just said. Next thing heard is the DW calling him an ass! What a way to meet the neighbors.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:22 AM   #73
Mod free 5er

Use the hand signals railroaders use, right arm in an L, if it is waving forward the driver goes forward, if the hand is going in a circle, come back, if both arms are waving down and crossing - stop. Point with left hand, trailer rear to go left, point with right hand, trailer rear to go right. Spotter must stand where driver can see. As others have said, if you can't see the drivers lh mirror, he can't see you and should stop and not move.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:30 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Use the hand signals railroaders use, right arm in an L, if it is waving forward the driver goes forward, if the hand is going in a circle, come back, if both arms are waving down and crossing - stop. Point with left hand, trailer rear to go left, point with right hand, trailer rear to go right. Spotter must stand where driver can see. As others have said, if you can't see the drivers lh mirror, he can't see you and should stop and not move.
If one hand extended with a single digit pointing skyward, abandon back in spot and get a pull through.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:53 AM   #75

When all else fails keep going til it sounds expensive then you will know you, you hit the spot!

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:16 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
If one hand extended with a single digit pointing skyward, abandon back in spot and get a pull through.
That's funny! Our first trip years ago took 45 minutes to drive to campground. Took 45 minutes to back into site. We'd picked a very large site, but map did not show the 50 trees scattered around.

I thought we had our signals squared away, but where I thought left and right sides on a camper were absolutes, turns out from W they are just relative terms depending where you are standing. When she called out, "looking good now just bring her around" I shut off engine. At the time we'd been married over 35 years and I'd never heard her say "bring her around" once so had no idea what she meant.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 12:45 PM   #77
Site Team

I remove my anti-sway bar first. Adjust the mirrors down to see TT wheels. I keep one hand on the 6 clock position with the other hand off the steering wheel. Back up very slowly while watching how the TT is responding & make slight adjustments as needed. Especially being a solo RVer I do use the GOAL method too.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:09 PM   #78

I couldn't have said it as well, Semperfi24. I use a camera with audio. I keep my wife in view and I can clearly hear her screams. :-)
V-Lite Fun is offline   Reply With Quote