Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2016, 08:13 PM   #1

Anyone stayed at destination West rv resort in destin fl

Hi I was wondering if anyone has stayed at the destin FL rv park. We jaut made reservations for June. We cancelled are Myrtle Beach because of the water issue first time to destin what good is there to do with families.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:06 PM   #2

I have not stayed at that RV resort, but would recommend any of the State Parks in the area. You are a short drive from Pensacola NAS, where the Naval Aviation museum is located. Excellent...I have been there 3 times. In the same area is a couple of old Forts and a light house. You are also in the middle of some of the best beaches there are. If you happen to be retired/active military there are numerous military bases in the area.

I am sure there you will be able to find all sorts of things to keep your family busy for a week.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:10 PM   #3

Okay excellent thank you I actually am I retired Marine so I will defiantly have to check them out thank you yes I've heard lots of good things about the state parks. Really glad to hear the beaches are awesome there
Old 03-08-2016, 09:41 PM   #4

What water issue? We are going to Myrtle Beach in June. Thanks

2013 Sierra 346 RET
2010 Ford 350 6.4 l CC SRW
Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
ksignoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:50 PM   #5

Friends have stayed at Destin West RV Park and we have driven through checking it out while staying at Camping on the Gulf, just east of Destin. It's a nice, newer RV Resort.

As already stated, the gulf beaches in this part of Florida are amazing. Destin has quite a bit to do for families. From the historic things mentioned like the forts, NAS and state parks (Topsail Hill is great, but hard to get a summer reservation) to typical tourist things like mini golf, go carts, shopping, the harbor area with shops, fishing charters, jet ski rentals, dolphin cruises and para sailing. Plenty to keep a family busy for a long time.

Destin West RV is actually closer to Ft Walton Beach and Okaloosa Island. A few miles away from the crowds of Destin proper. Destin West also isn't on the beach, but north of the main highway backing up to the inner coastal waterway. Very nice, newer RV 'Resort'. It isn't State Park camping. We were through a few years ago, it was still fairly new and had a nice parking lot sort of feel. It does have some grass behind and next to most sites. Pics on the web still show it lacking many trees.

Has great ratings on the web.

j

2016 nights camped: 40
2017 nights camped: 16
2017 nights reserved: 30
VizJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:16 PM   #6

We stayed at Destin West in March '15 again in August '15. It is a very nice park. It is affiliated with the resort across the (busy) street. You have access to the beach at the resort. The fishing pier is an easy walk and multiple restaurants. The RV park can get loud. In August, the park was extremely hot but Florida in August to be expected.
2007 Ford Escape Toad-5 spd manual
Blue Ox Alpha tow bar/Blue Ox Patriot brake
BamaGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:18 AM   #7

We were told that in Myrtle Beach they have a not safe to swim and its been like that since Oct. We were told there very extreme amounts of bacteria in the water. It also said it has always been high there but not near as high as it is now you can look it up on Google. Report came out a couple days ago there also letting you swim there just saying it's not safe last year my son got a horrible rash on his face after being in the ocean. That was one sign they said and also could cause you to get sick and when we got home my daughter got sick. We're just playing it safe.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:21 AM   #8

Okay I have alot of good things about the campground. There was no way I could get into the state park booking so late. I heard it was very nice and awesome Beach there. And the hotel that it is with the pool and all that looks extremely nice. I'm hoping my new camper with the heat will keep up with the two a/c last year in MB we burnt up in July with are old camper
Old 03-09-2016, 07:06 AM   #9
Broke and happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex.mcintosh40 View Post
Okay I have alot of good things about the campground. There was no way I could get into the state park booking so late. I heard it was very nice and awesome Beach there. And the hotel that it is with the pool and all that looks extremely nice. I'm hoping my new camper with the heat will keep up with the two a/c last year in MB we burnt up in July with are old camper

Like everyone says, its nice.
The resort across is Ramada, nice big tropical pool, and the beach access is the RV campground privilege. Pulling out is problem, allot of traffic. You lucky to get a spot, the beach state parks you have to book almost a year in advance. Oh don;t let your truck wheel get off pavement parking the rig. You will sink in the sand. Don't ask me how I know.
bobfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:15 AM   #10

Lol ha yes duallys definitely dont do good in sand or even mud only thing bad about that lol. Glad to hear good reviews besides the busy road
Old 03-09-2016, 08:30 AM   #11

We stayed there the first week of November for 5 nights. Was very clean, well kept. We did not find noise a problem and traffic is what it is in every beach area during high seasons. All the amenities have been covered. You will enjoy.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:03 AM   #12

The beaches in Destin are picture book and the water is clear. The Air Force Armaments museum in Ft. Walton Beach is something to see. I lived in Niceville across the bay so we didn't experience the campgrounds in the area. Go and enjoy the area.
martinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Okay excellent thank you I actually am I retired Marine so I will defiantly have to check them out thank you yes I've heard lots of good things about the state parks. Really glad to hear the beaches are awesome there

Check out Destin Army Recreation area. They have a nice, but tight, campground. Rates are about $21 a night compared to about $100 a night where you are staying.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
C. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:15 PM   #14

I read the same report and have friends in the area. It is true. The report implied that as the weather warms and the bacteria increase the beaches will likely be closed. However, the areas north and south of Myrtle do not have the same problems. You might just want to relocate within the area. Nothing is worth the health risk.
Celkalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:18 PM   #15

I love the park, my favorite spots are on the end by the pool and fronting the bay, I believe spots 28 and 29.The pool at the Ramada and all the local access is great. I highly recommend renting a pontoon boat for the family and going to crab island, there are 100's of boats, clear water about waste deep, my kids and grandkids love it
crousr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:41 PM   #16

Thank you everyone I really appreciate it alot yes we own a boat personally just don't want to tow that there and drive both trucks all the way there my wife defiantly said about renting one and going there wishing we could go in August to the poker run to. We have spot 29.can't wait been alot of places in Florida just never destin and my step kids have never been to Florida so will be something new for them. We just really didn't want to risk it at all with the way they were talking about it want to relax and enjoy not have that in the back of are minds worrying about the kids being in the ocean.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:41 PM   #17

Crousr01 do you remember how much it was to rent a pontoon for the day.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:03 PM   #18

Smile Destin Fl

Check out Camp Gulf RV park in Destin Fl. We just booked for August, You actually park your RV on the beach, So cool can't wait to go. Reviews were excellent a little pricey, but your on the beach and sand at your door.

Destin Florida RV Park Camp Gulf
justpassinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Thank you everyone I really appreciate it alot yes we own a boat personally just don't want to tow that there and drive both trucks all the way there my wife defiantly said about renting one and going there wishing we could go in August to the poker run to. We have spot 29.can't wait been alot of places in Florida just never destin and my step kids have never been to Florida so will be something new for them. We just really didn't want to risk it at all with the way they were talking about it want to relax and enjoy not have that in the back of are minds worrying about the kids being in the ocean.

The Army recreation area has boats to rent as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
C. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:25 PM   #20

Okay I will check that out defiantly probably little cheaper there.
We looked at camp gulf first but we couldn't get a site for July and we wanted to stay right on the beach like that then we read with dogs you can't and we have three Dachshunds that go everywhere with us lol.