Old 03-20-2015, 02:16 PM   #1
Anyone upgrade their Murphy Bed Mattress?

I have seen tons of posts of upgraded mattresses but no one said anything about doing it on their murphy bed. I tired to put a memory foam topper on it. It works great for sleeping but does not work for putting up the murphy bed. I can't strap it down. It always slides down to the floor and then prevents the bed from folding down. I tried adding other straps to no avail......

jlwardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:31 PM   #2
Canadian Member
Have you tried a fitted sheet for a thicker mattress and put the foam topper under the fitted sheet?

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:36 PM   #3
Yes , that is what we do but the topper is so heave the sheet can't hold it at all. Even extra straps did not hold the weight. The Murphy bed already has two straps that hold all the normal bedding down. The topper is just too heavy and slinks down to the floor when bed is vertical.
jlwardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:38 PM   #4
Mod free 5er
Might try gluing some 1" wide Velcro the complete width to and the mattress.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:41 PM   #5
If you have a Verlo mattress franchise near you, they can make any mattress you desire! Any shape, any size, any combination of construction and cushioning, completely customized to exactly what you need and good pricing for unparalleled quality. They'll even do one free comfort adjustment if they didn't nail it the first time! We had them even make a folding mattress for our former hybrid! Have a brand new Verlo custom queen for the Heritage Glen!
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:33 PM   #6
This doesn't answer your question but I'm just wondering where are your straps connected? Mine are attached to the top of the wood platform that the mattress is on both at the head and foot of the bed. In my configuration the foot of the bed is raised, so there is no way the topper could slide to the floor because it's going to run into the straps first. My topper is 2" and is also pretty heavy but it doesn't slide at all.
2015 Rockwood Mini Lite 1901
2013 Toyota Tacoma w/tow pkg
Terrib972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:04 PM   #7
We upgraded our murphy bed mattress to a full memory foam mattress. It is awesome. I believe hubby ordered through Amazon and it came with 2 memory foam pillows as well. You couldn't ask for a better nights sleep.
SandyMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:38 AM   #8
If you upgrade, make sure it is "murphy bed friendly". If you don't, the experts tell me the mattress, especially foam will settle toward the bottom of the mattress when is in the vertical position. Apparently the more expensive foam mattresses will not. Whoda known?????

flugelboneman is offline   Reply With Quote

bed, upgrade