Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2015, 11:29 AM   #1

Anyone use/recommend the Anderson Rapid Jack?

I've never been able to get a straight answer from the manufacturer on the best place to put the jack on my Tracer 3150 BHD in the event I need to change a flat tire.
"never under the axle", "always under the trailer frame closes to the axles" are the two most consistent responses.

Wondering if anyone out there has any experience with using the Anderson Rapid Jack? (see pic)

My concern would be while it's surely easier to back the good tire up onto something like this to raise the bad tire for repair, at the same time my concern is putting all the weight of the trailer on one tire where the axles are only rated to 2000lbs each, on a trailer that weighs 7000lbs dry.

1 Ol' Lady
3 Girls
1 Boy
JCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:34 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Don't think it would harm anything as long as you don't leave it there over 10-15 minutes. Not any different than driving up a curb, etc. Would break the lugs loose and have the spare ready to go on to minimize the time.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:49 PM   #3

Thanks OC, I agree in the need to be quick. I plan on using the jacks to raise a wheel also in order to pump the grease through when the time comes. I have the Dexter EZ lube hubs and need to spin the wheel while greasing.
1 Ol' Lady
3 Girls
1 Boy
Old 03-20-2015, 01:03 PM   #4

It is almost the exact same design at the Andersen Camper Leveler. I have used mine quite a bit and have sold about 24 of these so far. Very heavy duty and if they can hold up to leveling the camper for a week they should be fine for a tire change.
jlwardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:46 PM   #5

Do you have the wide spaced ez tow axle setup? If so, will that under one tire lift the other one off the ground? I tried one of the trailer aid ramps on my Lacrosse and it would not raise it enough.
Scott619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:59 PM   #6

Yes I do have the wide axle, and was concerned about that problem too. I have 17" between the two edges of the tires. I had thought that I could pull up on the jack from between the two and possibly get enough hight, but haven't tried it yet.
1 Ol' Lady
3 Girls
1 Boy
Old 03-23-2015, 05:47 PM   #7

JCamper, like I said, it did not work for me. Probably want to try before you buy! I have read the same warnings about not jacking under the axle and I understand that you don't want to dent or crease the axle tube, but that is how I jack mine up. I made a cap for my bottle jack out of a 3" spring perch with a collar that goes over the piston of the jack. I fit a block of wood into the center of the perch so I spread the pressure over a wider area and cause no damage to the axle. Also the semi circular spring perch keeps the axle from slipping off the jack. If you are not watching, most tire shops just swing a floor jack under the axle and start pumping. I think most of the warnings are warranty based.
Sorry for the long post.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:15 PM   #8

After a blowout, I replaced all 4 tires and the tire shop used a floor jack under the axle close to the hubs, no issue. I asked about jacking on the frame, and he said he's been in the business for years and never had a problem, just don't jack in the middle of the axle. When I had my blowout, I used a wood wedge about 24" long, and just pulled the unit up on it to raise the blown tire. I had the tire changed in about 20 mins.

2011 Flagstaff 8526RLWS 5th Wheel
2011 Ford F250 4X4 Crewcab Superduty 6.7L Diesel
B&W 3300 Hitch for Ford 5th Wheel Prep package
Windywest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:36 PM   #9

WindyWest, do you have closely spaced axles? If so I'm sure that one of the trailer aid type of ramps would work great. But like you said, stay as close to the wheel as possible when using a jack.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:31 AM   #10

Yes, my tires are spaced close, so one of ramp aids would work. As I mentioned, I just use a 8 inch wood wedge one of my fence building friends gave me, works great.

2011 Flagstaff 8526RLWS 5th Wheel
2011 Ford F250 4X4 Crewcab Superduty 6.7L Diesel
B&W 3300 Hitch for Ford 5th Wheel Prep package
Windywest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:55 AM   #11

I used some scrap 2" x 8" and made them step up about 5 1/4 " last piece s 2"x 8" x 8" connected all together with carriage bolts that are a bit longer than needed so they bite into the ground and it does't slide that way.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:57 AM   #12
Broken Toe

While I know that everyone says don't jack the axle, I have zero qualms about putting a jack on an axle directly under the spring mounts (leaf spring axles, naturally).

I have done it for years and haven't bent one yet.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0224 View Post
I used some scrap 2" x 8" and made them step up about 5 1/4 " last piece s 2"x 8" x 8" connected all together with carriage bolts that are a bit longer than needed so they bite into the ground and it does't slide that way.
That's a good idea! I wish my trailer would do that, it would make things a lot easier.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Don't think it would harm anything as long as you don't leave it there over 10-15 minutes. Not any different than driving up a curb, etc. Would break the lugs loose and have the spare ready to go on to minimize the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCamper View Post
Thanks OC, I agree in the need to be quick. I plan on using the jacks to raise a wheel also in order to pump the grease through when the time comes. I have the Dexter EZ lube hubs and need to spin the wheel while greasing.
So...I decided to get a answer from the Horses mouth so to speak

I sent this email:

We were having a discussion in our RV club about the Rapid Jack. The
question came up on how long you could safely leave an axel jacked up?

The thought here is, you have a flat and no spare and it might take
several hours to get the tire repaired.

Would it cause any damage to the axels by leaving the rapid jack in place
for this length of time?

Thanks for any info you can reply!

And Andersen replied:

Thank you for contacting us in regards to our Rapid Jack and the use of it for an extended period of time. As you know the trailer is designed to be supported by all the axles or the frame of the RV to prevent any damage. The safe answer is to not leave the trailer suspended and supported by just the Rapid Jack for a long time as it can damage the suspension of the axles to have all the weight transferred for a long time to one axle. It would be very difficult to understand how a few hours could do any damage and the main reason is that the trailer would be the static weight of the trailer and not the abusive pulsating it gets while towing and hitting every bump in the road.

I wish I was able to give you a better black and white answer but unfortunately each axle manufacturer would probably have a different opinion also.

Good luck and let me know if I can assist in any way.

Thanks,

Dave
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
While I know that everyone says don't jack the axle, I have zero qualms about putting a jack on an axle directly under the spring mounts (leaf spring axles, naturally).

I have done it for years and haven't bent one yet.

Tim
Mine has the torsion axle and your not suppose to put a jack under the axle.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:40 AM   #16
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0224 View Post
Mine has the torsion axle and your not suppose to put a jack under the axle.
As does my Roo. Look, at some place, the axle tube is attached to the frame. At that point, IMHO its ok to jack PROVIDED you use a spreader block or saddle so you don't kink the tube. The axle is designed to accept the weight of the trailer at that point.

What you cannot do is just throw your floor jack under the middle of the axle and pump away. You will wind up with a lot more camber in your wheels that you would have thought possible. Manufacturers always scream DON'T JACK UNDER AN AXLE, because someone will surely screw up their axles, and then expect warranty replacement.

I'm not stating that it's always the best choice. but if you understand where the loads are applied, and don't kink or dent the axle tube, you can jack under any axle.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote