Old 04-14-2016, 01:33 PM   #1
Anyone use recycled asphalt before?

I have a Shamrock 233s on order thats due to come off the assembly line next week. Im hoping to take delivery of it sometime next month, but as of now I still dont have anywhere to park it.

This weekend Im stating work on a cantilever gate to go into the vinyl privacy fence out back, so I can lay down a parking pad. I was on BMC Aggregates web site the other day and came across recycled asphalt. Ive never heard of it so I researched it a little bit and Im fairly sure this is the stuff I want to lay on my driveway, and probably the parking pad I have to put out back. Its cheap enough. $12.50/ton plus $85 to deliver up to 16 tons. Its supposed to pack down fairly solid and not wash out? Anyone ever use it before? Have good luck with it? Id rather not spend the money to pave the driveway as most of it is technically on the easment between my property and the city, and the city can tear it up any time they like.

The problem with the driveway is mud. Its always been gravel, and every year I blow half of it up into the front lawn with the snow blower. A couple years ago we had to excavate part of the driveway to replace the poo pipe from the house to the city connection in the street and its been way worse since then. I did lay new gravel down over that section we dug up but ive since blowed most of it into the front lawn with the snow blower. Whats left is mostly dirt, unless its wet out then its all mud. Would the recycled asphalt help with that?

There is a parking pad in the back already, more or less. My dad and grandpa put it down about 30 yrs ago. I bought the house from my grandparent estate. They just framed it out with 6X6 timbers and filled it in with gravel to park an RV on. At the time, my grandparents had just retired, and were snowbirds. The pad is now covered in about 3" of topsoil, mostly from grass clippings and leaves decomposing over the years. I plan to replace the rotten timbers with pressure treated lumber, and remove as much of that topsoil as I can with a skid loader to get back down to the gravel before laying the recycled ashpalt over it. Anyone know how thick id need to lay it over an existing gravel driveway, and parking pad? Im trying to figure out how much id need.

Finster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:54 PM   #2
For best results, also plan on rolling it on a hot day for best adhesion between the tar left in the asphalt. Any mud will cause a problem, so the thicker the better. At least 6in. ontop of the subbase.

Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:00 PM   #3
No first hand experience, but I have been considering this for my driveway. Around here, the material is getting harder to find because they are re-using the old asphalt on a lot of the new paving jobs.

If you google "asphalt millings driveway" or something similar you'll find some information from people who have done it & how much they used. Seems like a good option.

Congrats on the new Shamrock as well!

2005 F-150 FX4
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:01 PM   #4
Don't know about recycled asphalt but if I were you I'd use the crushed gravel that has the cement dust in it. Of course this was common 20 years back East and I have no idea if it's still being used in this modern age. We used it to make a driveway but you have to spread it fast! Once it gets packed and wet, you will need a pick and a shovel to move it. Good luck finding a solution!
Bud Ezekiel H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:04 PM   #5
We used recycled asphalt on part of our driveway, but it was not rolled. Eventually it broke up into gravel-like pieces. Under our trailer we put down some concrete pavers (probably 2 to 4 inch thick) where the wheels go. We have spread pine straw everywhere else, which helps keep down the dust. They work well. We don't want the expense of paving the area. We do have a tarp-type set up, so it is covered from rain.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:06 PM   #6
I use it all the time and for the price it is worth it.
2016 Flagstaff 23lb
Toddupton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:10 PM   #7
I checked, and the recycled asphalt is readily available here. For the last 20 years or so, Waterloo has been using asphalt almost exclusively because it's cheaper, but more recently theyve been tearing up a lot of the asphalt in favor of concrete. I planned to rent a 1, or 2 ton vibrating roller to pack it as best I can.
Finster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:11 PM   #8
I used it for a parking pad for my 27 ft camper. I can't say enough about how happy I am with it. I put it down a couple of years ago in December. I never got around to rolling it just drove my truck over it a few times. It is Rock hard and no weeds ever grow in it. I had a slight incline so some spots were 10-12 inches thick. I would call around to different contractors in you area. I got a 10 wheeler load for free.
JPS0929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:07 PM   #9

The county installed a culvert for my drive and covered it with the millings. They packed down and hold well, but they do not stick together. I've been pleased.
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:33 PM   #10
Yes, I used it for my pad. Had 17"s put down of crushed asphalt, did it a few inches at a time and compacted it. I needed that much to make it level. I followed up with 4 inches of 57 limestone. So far so good. Been parking on it for the last 4 years.

2016 Forester 3171DS Class C Motorhome
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport - Toad
1993 Mustang 5.0 Notch 5-speed
Chewie is offline   Reply With Quote