Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2016, 01:33 PM   #1

Anyone use recycled asphalt before?

I have a Shamrock 233s on order thats due to come off the assembly line next week. Im hoping to take delivery of it sometime next month, but as of now I still dont have anywhere to park it.

This weekend Im stating work on a cantilever gate to go into the vinyl privacy fence out back, so I can lay down a parking pad. I was on BMC Aggregates web site the other day and came across recycled asphalt. Ive never heard of it so I researched it a little bit and Im fairly sure this is the stuff I want to lay on my driveway, and probably the parking pad I have to put out back. Its cheap enough. $12.50/ton plus $85 to deliver up to 16 tons. Its supposed to pack down fairly solid and not wash out? Anyone ever use it before? Have good luck with it? Id rather not spend the money to pave the driveway as most of it is technically on the easment between my property and the city, and the city can tear it up any time they like.

The problem with the driveway is mud. Its always been gravel, and every year I blow half of it up into the front lawn with the snow blower. A couple years ago we had to excavate part of the driveway to replace the poo pipe from the house to the city connection in the street and its been way worse since then. I did lay new gravel down over that section we dug up but ive since blowed most of it into the front lawn with the snow blower. Whats left is mostly dirt, unless its wet out then its all mud. Would the recycled asphalt help with that?

There is a parking pad in the back already, more or less. My dad and grandpa put it down about 30 yrs ago. I bought the house from my grandparent estate. They just framed it out with 6X6 timbers and filled it in with gravel to park an RV on. At the time, my grandparents had just retired, and were snowbirds. The pad is now covered in about 3" of topsoil, mostly from grass clippings and leaves decomposing over the years. I plan to replace the rotten timbers with pressure treated lumber, and remove as much of that topsoil as I can with a skid loader to get back down to the gravel before laying the recycled ashpalt over it. Anyone know how thick id need to lay it over an existing gravel driveway, and parking pad? Im trying to figure out how much id need.
Finster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:54 PM   #2

For best results, also plan on rolling it on a hot day for best adhesion between the tar left in the asphalt. Any mud will cause a problem, so the thicker the better. At least 6in. ontop of the subbase.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:00 PM   #3

No first hand experience, but I have been considering this for my driveway. Around here, the material is getting harder to find because they are re-using the old asphalt on a lot of the new paving jobs.

If you google "asphalt millings driveway" or something similar you'll find some information from people who have done it & how much they used. Seems like a good option.

Congrats on the new Shamrock as well!

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:01 PM   #4

Don't know about recycled asphalt but if I were you I'd use the crushed gravel that has the cement dust in it. Of course this was common 20 years back East and I have no idea if it's still being used in this modern age. We used it to make a driveway but you have to spread it fast! Once it gets packed and wet, you will need a pick and a shovel to move it. Good luck finding a solution!
Bud Ezekiel H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:04 PM   #5

We used recycled asphalt on part of our driveway, but it was not rolled. Eventually it broke up into gravel-like pieces. Under our trailer we put down some concrete pavers (probably 2 to 4 inch thick) where the wheels go. We have spread pine straw everywhere else, which helps keep down the dust. They work well. We don't want the expense of paving the area. We do have a tarp-type set up, so it is covered from rain.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:06 PM   #6

I use it all the time and for the price it is worth it.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:10 PM   #7

I checked, and the recycled asphalt is readily available here. For the last 20 years or so, Waterloo has been using asphalt almost exclusively because it's cheaper, but more recently theyve been tearing up a lot of the asphalt in favor of concrete. I planned to rent a 1, or 2 ton vibrating roller to pack it as best I can.
Finster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:11 PM   #8

I used it for a parking pad for my 27 ft camper. I can't say enough about how happy I am with it. I put it down a couple of years ago in December. I never got around to rolling it just drove my truck over it a few times. It is Rock hard and no weeds ever grow in it. I had a slight incline so some spots were 10-12 inches thick. I would call around to different contractors in you area. I got a 10 wheeler load for free.
JPS0929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:07 PM   #9

drive

The county installed a culvert for my drive and covered it with the millings. They packed down and hold well, but they do not stick together. I've been pleased.
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:33 PM   #10

Yes, I used it for my pad. Had 17"s put down of crushed asphalt, did it a few inches at a time and compacted it. I needed that much to make it level. I followed up with 4 inches of 57 limestone. So far so good. Been parking on it for the last 4 years.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:34 PM   #11

I work for a city service department, we call them grindings. They come from when an asphalt road is ground out and replaced. This is the waste material left over. We use them all the time for access roads, trails ect. There is no usable tar residue left so the grindings are more like black gravel varying in size from peas to soft ball pancakes. This material can be compressed to form a tight, hard surface. We do not roll or vibrate, just drive trucks over it. A tamper would work good to lock it together.
411 limestone is best but more expensive. Grape size stone down to dust. Locks in real nice and is gray instead of black.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:38 PM   #12

Love my millings driveway. Paid $125 for a tandem truck. 18tons I believe
Old 04-15-2016, 07:36 AM   #13

On a hot sunny day out a LIGHT spray of diesel and it will help seal up if you are packing or rolling it. In the muddy areas I would put rock or gravel. The road is only good as the foundation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:51 AM   #14

Recycled asphalt is just Millings.

It will no longer bond together because you would need liquid AC to have it stick together again.

In areas that are softer, you might want to look into getting a load of recycled concrete delivered first. (Crushed Concrete) Unlike millings still has SOME of the properties from the cement powder in them and will harden up nicely once moisture hits it. You will want to compact the concrete, and then the millings on top of it.

I worked for a pavement consultant (IE Inspector) on parking lot rehabilitation for 7 years. Crushed concrete was my favorite stuff to order if we had a soft spot to stiffen up. In fact, depending how thick and how far you need to go, it might be worth your while to put down crushed concrete over your whole area (about 6-8 inches) and then top it with 4-6" of millings. The millings otherwise will just pound into the mud and you'll need to top it off again in a few years. If you put a solid base down, you won't need to touch the millings with the exception of pot holes for years to come.

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finster View Post
I checked, and the recycled asphalt is readily available here. For the last 20 years or so, Waterloo has been using asphalt almost exclusively because it's cheaper, but more recently theyve been tearing up a lot of the asphalt in favor of concrete. I planned to rent a 1, or 2 ton vibrating roller to pack it as best I can.
Go to a rental place and rent a vibra-pack it will pack easy to run. It has a gas engine with a plate about 2 x 2 foot plate.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:37 PM   #16
7 Year Class A RV'er

Having more than 40 years in construction management prior to retirement, I can tell you there are no issues with recycled asphalt. Actually, there's no difference in recycled and new. The secret, though, is in the preparation of the sub grade below the asphalt and the base course (gravel layer under the asphalt). The soils in your area Dan wreak havoc if you gave clay, but as a general rule, here's what I would say you want to do.

1. Remove any muddy areas and refill with dry soil.

2. Rent a small tamper or roller and roll/tamp the area thoroughly.

3. Using your RV, drive through the area to be paved and have someone watch the wheels. If you have a soft spot, the soil will "pump", in other words it will push upward as the wheel sinks. Those areas, if any, need to be dug out and replaced with dry, compacted soil. This process is called proof rolling.

4. You want a crushed stone base course on top of the soil and below the asphalt. For typical RV loading, I would say about 4" of 3/4" stone would do but 6" would be better. The quarry will most likely have what they call "crusher run". This is a crushed stone that gas a lot of fines in it from the crushing process and makes fantastic base. When it goes down, you need to wet it down and run a roller over it until compacted, then let it set for a couple of days before the asphalt goes down. Get it smooth and level as it will set up very similar yo concrete due to the fines. You want the base to extends at least 6" past the edge of the planned asphalt, then taper down to the bottom of its thickness.

5. Now put down the asphalt; they should roll it when they put it down. Spray the stone base with a prime coat of oil prior to paving.

This may be more than you want to do yourself, but I would think you could hire someone to do all the work for about $4.00 to $4.50 per sqft. If you want it to truly last, this is the way to go. Also, if you want to save some money, the crusher run will make a permanent surface for you and can be paved later. Good luck!

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:18 PM   #17

My driveway is over 500 ft long ,when I built my house 11 years ago I used a dozer to cut the topsoil out and then laid down a felt matting toped with 2-4 inch limestone and after all the lumber ,dump ,cement trucks were down topped with asphalt grindings and have done anything since till this year I will top with more, a felt or plastic mesh keeps the stone from pushing in the mud its well worth the cost and I have driven my semi on it every day and in the spring I get no pumping action when the ground if wet and soft
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:21 PM   #18
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
Having more than 40 years in construction management prior to retirement, I can tell you there are no issues with recycled asphalt. Actually, there's no difference in recycled and new. The secret, though, is in the preparation of the sub grade below the asphalt and the base course (gravel layer under the asphalt). The soils in your area Dan wreak havoc if you gave clay, but as a general rule, here's what I would say you want to do.

1. Remove any muddy areas and refill with dry soil.

2. Rent a small tamper or roller and roll/tamp the area thoroughly.

3. Using your RV, drive through the area to be paved and have someone watch the wheels. If you have a soft spot, the soil will "pump", in other words it will push upward as the wheel sinks. Those areas, if any, need to be dug out and replaced with dry, compacted soil. This process is called proof rolling.

4. You want a crushed stone base course on top of the soil and below the asphalt. For typical RV loading, I would say about 4" of 3/4" stone would do but 6" would be better. The quarry will most likely have what they call "crusher run". This is a crushed stone that gas a lot of fines in it from the crushing process and makes fantastic base. When it goes down, you need to wet it down and run a roller over it until compacted, then let it set for a couple of days before the asphalt goes down. Get it smooth and level as it will set up very similar yo concrete due to the fines. You want the base to extends at least 6" past the edge of the planned asphalt, then taper down to the bottom of its thickness.

5. Now put down the asphalt; they should roll it when they put it down. Spray the stone base with a prime coat of oil prior to paving.

This may be more than you want to do yourself, but I would think you could hire someone to do all the work for about $4.00 to $4.50 per sqft. If you want it to truly last, this is the way to go. Also, if you want to save some money, the crusher run will make a permanent surface for you and can be paved later. Good luck!
I agree with this except that recycled asphalt likely would be more like granular material than new hot mix asphalt. As asphalt ages the asphalt cement oxidizes and becomes brittle. Since we apply a lot a salt on our roads in the winter that may make a difference. Up here we don't allow more than 30% recycled asphalt in new mixes. I'm not a fan of recycled concrete because we tend to get a lot of crap (rebar, wood, etc.) in it - poor quality control from local suppliers. And it doesn't drain well. Good virgin crushed granular is still relatively cheap here.

If you have a very soft subgrade, you can use a geotextile fabric to bridge the spongy soil. If it's just the odd spot that's soft, it would be cheaper to dig it out and replace it with better earth fill.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:54 PM   #19

RAP is Recycled Asphalt Pavement. It is combination of aggregate and asphalt (tar is a carcinogen and hasn’t been used for general road construction in fifty plus years). RAP is regularly used in new asphalt pavement construction because of the existing 4 to 6% asphalt content by weight. The RAP works well as a base material. Place in three inch lifts if rolling with your truck, you can place thicker if using a roller. The advice given earlier to place at least 6 inches is good. Doesn’t sound like you have a subgrade moisture problem so additional aggregate (gravel) base is probably not needed. Add a little water to aid compaction. Most RAP will be delivered moist, so dust shouldn’t be a problem. If it is, a little water misting will keep down the dust and aid compaction. You are trying for the moist look, not so wet your dog and kids want to play in it. Compaction on a warm 70+ °F, sunny day works better than on a cool cloudy day. The good news is that if placed on a cold day, the RAP can be further compacted by rerolling on a warm day. Roll until it stops moving. If looking to make decorative footprints around your RAP parking pad spray first with a petroleum product like diesel. The diesel will dissolve the asphalt in the RAP making the parking pad into a giant ink pad. Anyone walking across will track footprints where ever they go, even into your nice clean trailer. A little water or a little diesel during compaction, the choice is yours.

Have Fun,

The Rock Doc
DebbieHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:03 PM   #20

Crushed Limestone, Only way I would use asphalt is if I was going to cover it with turf or paint it.

Tags
led