Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2019, 09:08 PM   #21

I added "snow tires" to help avoid slippage...

But...I also "cheat" a little when using them. I built a lift bar that spans both axles.

This way, I can just pull up to a camp site and park it.

I put the lift bar under the low side axles, and lift until level, without having to move the camper at all....no trial and error.

Rich

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:05 AM   #22

Anderson levelers

Make sure you have at least 3 1/2" between tires. I went w/ what Anderson said 2 3/4". Had to use the chop saw to shorten the longer part and grind down the edge. Even then, we have gotten them wedged on soft ground and had to drive over them. Overall I like them as it is quicker. Also make sure no one is standing behind the wheels when you drive off or on-SLOWLY!
Side bar-The Anderson drive on ramp is excellent, and makes changing a flat a 10 minute deal. It also prevents problems for trailers that have the Dexter rubber hub axel set-up. EX-no spring hangers.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:04 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollscanardly View Post

But...I also "cheat" a little when using them. I built a lift bar that spans both axles.

I put the lift bar under the low side axles, and lift until level, without having to move the camper at all....no trial and error.

Rich

Neat idea.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:53 AM   #24

We have the Andersen levelers. We love them. They make leveling the camper a breeze
Old 02-18-2019, 12:06 PM   #25

the rest of the story (post #15)

yep, I've got the Andersen, its easy to use, and we use it, ... BUT .... not as often as we did before, ... I use a two ft. level on the back bumper to know how much side-to-side level is out, (8' wide trailer + 2' level + 1/4" blocks = 1" out of level), ... I've always used this method, KNOWING HOW MUCH always makes leveling easier and faster, no matter what product you use to accomplish the raising, no guessing, no trial and error, ... at first I stacked plastic blocks to the needed height, ... then got the Andersen, certainly different but KNOWING always helps, ... I played with the Andersen at home until I knew how much forward movement raised 1", or 2" or 3", ect, ... then at the cg, once I know how out-of-level the site is, I lay a yard stick down at the drivers door, eyeball a spot and move forward the distance to achieve that height, then chock the wheels, ... easy for sure, BUT, not as easy as just driving onto a board or two to get level, ... at the two cgs that we go to most often, we've found no sites that are more than 2" off, ... so when the level tells me how much, I lay either one or two boards at each tire, drive on and am finished, ... IMO, that is much easier than even the Andersen, no chocks to set or to remove when leaving, I just drive off the boards, pick them up and leave, ... I still carry the Andersen, just don't use it for 1" or 2" leveling, its too easy to use the boards, but I don't want to carry a truck load of wood for higher heights, ... KNOWING HOW MUCH is a huge help to any leveling method you use, ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0767.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	315.5 KB
ID:	197056   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0764.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	493.9 KB
ID:	197057   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1082.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	438.5 KB
ID:	197058  

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:37 PM   #26

Quote:

Rich
Slick idea, but I've always been told to not lift by the axles.
pilotpip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:37 PM   #27

I have Anderson levelers, love them. Cut 1/2” off each due to tight fitting between wheels. Suggest making 45 degree cuts and do both so they will be even.
Next thing I want to do is install one of those level units that transmit to your cellphone I will know when to stop without someone having to watch a level.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:14 PM   #28

I just bought a set of the Beech Lane levelers. They look to be the same quality as the Andersens, if not better... advertised not to break like "other brands ". About $10 cheaper than the Andersens as well.

Have not used them yet. And, no anti slip on them.
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:35 PM   #29

I Love myAnderson levelers. Much quicker and more accurite than the leggos. Our 2304KS has a short wheel base. I shortened oneof the levelers using my band saw and my belt sander. I removed material from the tip and rounded the bottom of the heel quite a bit. A little trial and error in my driveway until I had the perfect fit. From the image of the Beech lane, I'm not sure that you will be able to round the heel of it enough to fit?
Denny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 05:44 AM   #30

I bought the Anderson kit and like it the only thing I will say is that if the ground is soft then you will need something underneath them, like a thin piece of plywood but make sure you have the wheels on there putting the Anderson’s down if you have tight axles. I actually had a few place I went that I would put down 2x12 under both sides as I knew it was always soft. Other than that I love the kit
Junior11478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:30 AM   #31

Box of assorted 2x10...2x12 and 1x10. Had them since 2007. Cost....Free.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 07:12 AM   #32
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

I use a set of Andersen levelers and my wheels are close. Just trim one down per the instructions to fit.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:09 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
Looking at these for use with a levelmate pro. My father in law uses this set up. He pulls up where he wants his trailer, looks at the level mate, backs up and places the Andersens, and drives up on them until the phone shows level. So easy a caveman can do it.

Only issue I see: His jayco has a much wider spacing between the axles than my 2509S. I've read the andersens have an issue with tight wheels. The camcos caught my eye because they are smaller, and cost a lot less. I still plan on carrying some wood for soft ground or really unlevel sites.
We have used both extensively over the last year. We started with the Anderson, which worked fairly well. If you have a tandem axle trailer it is sometimes difficult to get one between the wheels. But the problem is one of them cracked in half. They are very rigid and smooth on the bottom. There was a small rock on the asphalt and the rock provided a pressure point when we drove on it. So that’s a concern with these. We then went to the camco. I like the fact that they are honeycomb construction so should no break. But the problem with these is they are short. So the issue we have had with these is that they slide because it’s such a steep ramp to go up when used on concrete. So bottom line is they both work, but both have issues that you have to deal with.
dkreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:32 AM   #34

This style is so easy to use. We bought the Camco ones because they fit between the tires without needing a trim, but they’re definitely a cheaper knock off. I don’t think they’re going to last.

The Beech Lane looks like a high quality product. We’ll go with that or Anderson next.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:08 PM   #35

Quote:

I put the lift bar under the low side axles, and lift until level, without having to move the camper at all....no trial and error
Rich

HOLY MACKREL, THAT'S A LOT OF WORK! And it defeats the purpose of the drive on, all you need is square blocks of wood but getting under the trailer and jacking it up every time is way more work than its worth IMHO
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:37 PM   #36
jvg

Anderson levels

Been using them for a few years. I followed instructions and cut a few inches off one level to fit between tires. Easy to do with hacksaw. I camp alone and they work great to get level watching front level from seat without adding and adjusting flat levels. I have a trailer about your size and weight. Just like any level, if ground is wet and soft there will be some sinking.
Jim G
jvg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:45 PM   #37

"I applied step friction tape on the TOP surface, ... I tap the leveler into the wedge area of the tire and the ground with a rubber mallet, then with the rubber tire gripping the rough surface of the tape, it doesn't allow the leveler to slide away"
"another idea we use with our Andersens is pull cords for DW to remove the chocks"

fella10 - I love your idea about the grip tape on top and the rope pull for your anderson levelers. I have the anderson levelers and love them but have noticed that they can slip on some surfaces and I'm leery about putting my hand in there to pull them out. I'm going to steal your idea and that's going to be my first mod once my tt gets out of storage. thanks for the photos also.

Chevy Express 3500 van
Palomino Solaire 251RBSS
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:35 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincia View Post
fella10 - I love your idea about the grip tape on top and the rope pull for your anderson levelers. I have the anderson levelers and love them but have noticed that they can slip on some surfaces and I'm leery about putting my hand in there to pull them out. I'm going to steal your idea and that's going to be my first mod once my tt gets out of storage. thanks for the photos also.

cincia, ... that's a very nice compliment, thank you ...

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:28 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
Andersen Levelers have real competition now from Beech Lane

https://www.amazon.com/Beech-Lane-Ca...9RJSFSHNYJQYQE

I have the Beech Lane ones and really like them. They have the grip tape but not the mats. I emailed them to see if I could buy the mats. They did not have them for sale individually but instead sent me out a brand new set with mats! I was shocked and happy. Needless to say I highly recommend Beech Lane. They levelers are great and CS was outstanding!
Old 08-08-2020, 07:21 PM   #40

Shortening Andersen Leveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra 2014 View Post
Make sure you have at least 3 1/2" between tires. I went w/ what Anderson said 2 3/4". Had to use the chop saw to shorten the longer part and grind down the edge. Even then, we have gotten them wedged on soft ground and had to drive over them. Overall I like them as it is quicker. Also make sure no one is standing behind the wheels when you drive off or on-SLOWLY!
Side bar-The Anderson drive on ramp is excellent, and makes changing a flat a 10 minute deal. It also prevents problems for trailers that have the Dexter rubber hub axel set-up. EX-no spring hangers.
How much did you have to cut off of the leveler? Did you cut both, or just one?
2012 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
2021 Ford F-250 Super Duty
OscarsMom2 is offline   Reply With Quote