Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #1

anyone with a 2010+ Dodge Megacab? looking for input on cab clearance with 5er

i am looking at stepping up to a 3/4 ton diesel pickup. im torn between dodge and ford......but i like dodge's price and warranty better.

when looking a dodges, i am only considering the 2010+ body style. i was wondering what kind of cab clearance one can expect to have with a megacab? im either going with a crew cab long box or a megacab, which obviously has a smaller bed....

i know different 5ers have different clearance, but how is turning radius effected by the extra long cab and short box? what are your experiences? for reference, i have a 2006 cherokee 5th wheel

2012 Dodge 2500 - deleted and tuned by H&S performance
Bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #2

Cool 2012 Dodge Ram 3500

Even though I have an ultralite fiver (Rockwood 8243S) that I was towing with a 2009 Dode Ram 1500, I treated myself to the crew cab for the diesel engine and jake brake. I bought it with the 6.5 foot bed and have had no problems with clearance yet. I do have a sliding Reese 5-wheel hitch but have not had a reason to use it so far! Hope this helps!
aircombatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Looks like you're looking at a short box so you'll need a slider or Reese Revolution pin box for safety sake.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #4

A mega cab, since it is s short box will have exactly the same clearance concerns as a regular cab short bed truck. Short bed is short bed.
BTW if you are going to get a Mega Cab, do yourself a big favor and quit looking at the 2500 series. Go to the 3500 series. The 3/4 ton megas are notorious for really low payload capacities. At least a 1 ton will give you a fighting chance.

Of course there is always another option with a Mega cab. Do a long box conversion on it! Have a friend in SLC area that did that. He loves the truck.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5er