Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2013, 11:43 PM   #1

Arctic Package

Lots of discussion on this option but no manuals. I am interested in a link or .pdf to information on this option. I purchased my EVO trailer 2 days ago, but disappointed in the lack of documentation and/or technical information on this popular and misunderstood option. Any help out there?
zippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:33 AM   #2

I doubt that you're going to find what you are looking for. As you no doubt already know, this option includes:
  • Insulated & Enclosed Tanks
  • 12V Heat Strips
  • Radiant Foil Insulation
  • (Roof, Floor & Slide-Out Roof)
  • Double Insulation Roofs & Floors
You should find switches in your control panel to turn on the tank "heat strips" for when you know it's going to be below freezing. Other than that, I suggest you search here on FRF and ask questions about the parts you don't find answers to or don't understand.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
Site Team

i seriously doubt that there's any such documentation out there.
FR, like most RV manufacturers, only provides a generic, non-model/RV type specific owners manual.
sometimes you'll find a sheet or two, included for somethings specific to your model.
i would contact a EVO rep at FR and ask for any documents for that package.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:32 AM   #4

Thanks for your reply! Yes, the dealer told me these things. He basically said there is no documentation and it is just a part of the trailer. I am a little OCD about understanding how things work, and are intended to work, so I can operate it with confidence that it will work correctly. Also, if something goes wrong I know how to deal with it and why it went wrong. I am not hard on things, so they tend to last well beyond their life expectency. To this end, I lean toward over analyzation of these things.

Beyond all of this, I am trying to understand why Forest River offered such a useful add-on for my trailer and failed to put even a footnote about it in my manual. The comments I have read on this site and the internet have all been positive, except for the lack of documentation. I read one post where the owner of a similarly equipped trailer had a manual for this option, but offered no real insight beyond what you have offered here. I had hoped someone knew where to find a manual, diagram or any manufacturer information that gives me the confidence I am looking for.

With the lack of it, I will likely only be able to follow your suggestion and continue searching and ask questions. I am pretty good at figuring out most things anyway. It just doesn't leave a warm fuzzy feeling about Forest River on this though. That said, I will attempt to put together what I can find and assemble, something like an operators manual for myself and my wife, who is far worse than I on this OCD stuff.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #5
Site Team

you need to know that the worthless owners manual is the RV Industry standard, not just a Forest River standard.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:32 PM   #6
Graduate Member

search through the link above labeled "library". That will be everything that is out there that you'd want, and much of it specific to your rig.

But we have the arctic pack too - the only thing to know is that if you turn the rocker switch 'on', then the heating pads come on at 45 degrees and don't shut off until 60 (but you'll just turn off the rocker switch way before that)
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #7

Anyone know how much wattage the "tank heaters" draw with the Arctic package? While boondocking this past weekend, I went to turn it on and to my surprise it required me to turn on the generator (i.e. wouldn't run directly of house batteries).
grega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #8
Graduate Member

7 is what I just read in another recent thread on arctic packages.
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #9

7? That should hardly require the generator. Hmmm. The next question would be how to swap it to use either/or (i.e. like the lights).
grega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #10
Anacortesians

Zippin:

I have the manufacturer data sheet on the Arctic Pack system on my Georgetown. I've assumed it's what Forest River calls an "ARTIC PAK" on the switch-plate. To a Brit like me, an "artic" is an 18-wheeler truck, a shortened version of the formal "articulated lorry".

I'll make PDF copies later today and send them as an attachment to a PM (if that works). Alternatively, you could send a PM to me with an e-mail address and I'll send them that way.

I thought the system was so poorly conceived, I've disconnected it. The heating elements, with built-in non-adjustable thermostats, switch on when the tank temperature drops below 40F and doesn't switch off again until it reaches 60F. There don't seem to be any safeguards against them switching on accidentally when the tank is empty. The ones on my MH (4 in total) each draw 7 amps at 12 Volts DC. I don't see draining 28 amps from the house batteries to heat sewage to 60 degrees. or risking a burn through of the base of an empty tank.

When I first heard about the system, I expected it to be more like residential freeze protection systems, heating from 34 to about 38 degrees.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #11

There is no problem with having the tank heaters on for empty tanks (verified with tank makers and heat-strip makers).

The heat strips are low energy for what they have to do. If you have them come on at 33 degrees F, they won't be able to "keep up" with the heat loss. For this reason, they have to come on early to store some heat in the tank liquid before it gets close to the freezing point. (I have no explanation as to why they don't turn off again at 45 instead of 60--sounds wrong to me as well.)
Old 10-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #12
Anacortesians

Zippin:

I scanned the three page data sheet on the Arctic Pack I have, made by an company called "Ultra-heat".

I will send it on shortly as an attachment to a PM.

If the Forum would like it for a library item, please send a PM and I'll send it
Old 10-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #13

Frank, I think "Arctic Pack" normally refers to a set of things done to an RV (enclosed underbelly, ducted heating, and tank/valve heaters for instance). Is the thing you are referring to just the tank heaters?

Anyone can upload files into the Library. If you think it's "worthy", upload it and the moderators will take a look.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #14
Anacortesians

Barry:

The Forest River data data document (with an FR header) on the system is titled "Arctic Pac" (without the "k") and is specifically descriptive of 12Vdc heaters that are stuck to the outside of the tanks.

I've sent Zippin an e-mail, asking him for a return address that I can use to send the copies.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #15
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Artic Pack FR Document.PDF

Here's the document FR sent me about the Artic Pak. I would think they are all pretty similar in design.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #16
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrip View Post
7 is what I just read in another recent thread on arctic packages.
Per pad... multiply times number of tanks and it starts to go up fast .
Old 10-13-2013, 12:04 AM   #17

Thank you for the documents and information. I have read a number of posts and the documentation sent and posted. Thank you all for your input! Forest River and likely other manufacturers only hurt themselves leaving so much open to interpretation. I read some who believe the system is for winter storage and others worried using it at all is a problem. I visited the manufacturers website and watched their video owners manual, that quite frankly would be more valuable in print. I have to believe that the manufacturers are worried of legal issues or have already had them, but how many are using their RV regularly in sub-freezing weather? I have used my motor home and old trailer a couple of times and plan on taking this new one out this week, for a week. I have not had this package previously and wont use it this week, but where I live, I will be using it quite a bit after the first of the year. This is a great feature and will make my early trips that much better. Knowing how to use it properly and what maintennce is required gives me both confidence in my new trailer and what this package has to offer.

On a different note, I converted all of my cabin lights to LED, as I have done on my other RV's. This time, however, the light is not enough. Anyone use a more efficient fixture or lamp that puts out enough light with such low power consumption?

I like this Forum! Thanks Again.