Old 10-23-2013, 09:56 AM   #1

Arctic Package

Hi Folks, I purchased a 2013 3170DS (Used) which does not have an Artic Package. Can some one explain what that actually is? I was told by the dealer that I did not need it. I will be using the Sunseeker year round in the New Jersey area. Was not intending on winterizing since I will not really know when I will be traveling. Belong to a Canine Crisis Therapy Team. Any recommendations will be greatfully accepted.
Thanks

Old 10-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
Average Joe

It's heat pads for the black and gray tanks.

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:01 AM   #3

The dealer explained that the tanks are enclosed and heated so I should not need the blankets. Is this true and if so why would they sell the package. Can the blankets be placed on the tanks after manufacture?
Thanks
Old 10-23-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
Average Joe

The basement is heated only when running the furnace. Not sure how costly it would be adding the pads.

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
Denver, CO

Heat pads will not protect your whole water system from freezing and experience significant damage. You will need to keep and assure that your camper does not fall below 32 deg at any time, and that takes running the furnace or providing supplemental heat to the units including the water lines and tanks.

It takes a lot of heat to do this, and you have to make sure the heat is circulated throughout the unit.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #6

Thank you

What if I drain the tanks so they are empty and try to keep the RV at 40 degrees. Do you think that would work?
Old 10-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #7

Your 1st post said you (Did-Not) want to Winterize,but wanted to use (Year Round). BAD idea! Totally winterize your WATER and Drain systems! You can now (Eat & Sleep) in your unit without the worry! Youroo!!
Old 10-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #8

Emptying the HW heater and fresh water tank, blowing out all the lines including outside shower, and putting antifreeze in the pea traps and toilets when <32 is expected would be what I would do. Would be easy to leave at a moments notice and still be easy to make ready upon your arrival IMO.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:59 AM   #9

Usually it's maybe a minimal amount of extra insulation, heated tanks which don't do anything for the fresh water system and the all important "Arctic Package" sticker by the front door. In reality it isn't much more than a way to charge more. It might afford an 5 or 10 degrees before you freeze up..Big deal...
Old 10-23-2013, 11:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013leprechaun319dsf View Post
Emptying the HW heater and fresh water tank, blowing out all the lines including outside shower, and putting antifreeze in the pea traps and toilets when <32 is expected would be what I would do. Would be easy to leave at a moments notice and still be easy to make ready upon your arrival IMO.
How would he make it (ready upon arrival) if his NEW location is (Below 32deg.F)also? Youroo!!