Old 03-12-2016, 09:20 AM   #31
Traveling Two

Every unit is different. We are in our second Forrest River trailer and have had some minor issues. Your dealership and dealership shop/warranty department are the real key.

Old 03-12-2016, 01:32 PM   #32

Be aware that these forums are patronized by people who have problems or are otherwise dissatisfied.

As for me, it has been helpful in telling such things as where to find the hidden switch on the water.

As to quality. Bought the R.Pod 179 a year ago from Dufour's RV where salesman Jack Daust was great. No bs, just good solid info & suggestions. Put 9,000 + miles on the unit without a single problem or complaint. Have talked with service mgr, Dave Welch, several times for help & instructions & he has been very accommodating & pleasant.

So, bottom line is Forest River's quality and service can be relied upon.

Old 03-12-2016, 01:41 PM   #33

you always hear about the bad before good , when all things are good nobody speaks up
Old 03-12-2016, 02:20 PM   #34

[QUOTE=Wheels Down;1127189]A profound question I know, but looking through the many different forums and discussions on these pages, I am getting cold feet about the purchase of a new (my first) Forest River Surveyor 291 BHSS.
I realize the purpose of these forums is to share ideas and opinions, but I am having a hard time finding positive feedback on most of the FR products and service performance.
And yes I also understand it would not matter who the manufacture. Any of the such sites devoted to product discussion are going to be filled with negatives.
So far as a"newbie" I have identified a PDI inspection list, a list of extra equipment needed and some tips for security of the trailer while in storage (not on my property).
But the real question is, do I really want to do this at all?

I purchased one new trailer in 1997. It was with the express intent of finding out whether my wife and I would enjoy camping and not having to deal with "issues". We did like camping and have been ever since.

But ever since we have only purchased "used". My philosophy is that if it is only three or four years old, then it's likely to have had whatever initial issues fixed. Also, unless it was owned by senior who are snowbirds or people that have lived in it, it's hardly a "used" trailer. I've found a lot of folks camp perhaps six or seven times the first year, then maybe five times or so the second year and it even trails off further after that.

In the interim, the depreciation has sucked the life out of many of those owners. One often can't pay it down fast enough to keep up with the depreciation.

I've owned two Forest River products and they were/are both Cardinals, which at the time was the top of the line unit made. Both had some issues.

Having said that, our current trailer is a 31 foot fifth wheel. New it was about $62k in 2006. I found it on Craigslist for $25k on a short sale. It was three years old at the time.

We are currently looking for a more upscale and slightly larger unit that is about three years old. I the sense of trying to find a suitable unit, I've found that I just need to be patient. It may take six or seven or more months but something will likely just drop into our lap. And I didn't mind driving 1,000 miles to pick up the current trailer at the price they wanted for it.

One person already mentioned how it's more likely that people will post with a complaint than to praise a product. I agree with that 100% so I think you ought to take that into serious consideration.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:34 PM   #35

Response

Some good responses already. We picked up our brand new 34 QS-wnet on a 1500 mile trip. Found some nagging things but nothing major. Brought to a FR dealer and was able to leave there for several weeks. They did seem to get through everything. There were some communication issues between the FR dealer and FR as I had to intervene on a few occasions but in the end FR held up to their . For now all appears well. But just like a boat, an RV has lots of stuff that can go wrong and between now and then it will. Count on it!
Old 03-12-2016, 02:41 PM   #36

Quality of Unit

I purchased a Rockwood 11 months ago , only had 1 minor problem that I repaired myself . We took the unit from the northeast to florida and was gone about a month and camped in it nearly every weekend last summer and fall and have enjoyed it very much. Many of the complaints you see on the forums are due to things other than manufacturing.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:43 PM   #37

I agree a lot of posters are coming to complain. I have also read some horror stories. If you are not able or unwilling to tinker your risk of issues probably increases. If you have realistic expectations and do your research you may be just fine. I have read of folks leaving their rigs at the dealer for months waiting for service on what sometimes sound like cosmetic or nonessential issues that could have waited till later after their vacations. We are pleased with our FR - never been back to the dealer but DH is a tradesman and can fix most everything. Most manufacturers build from a lot of the same components anyway I believe. I agree that the search is daunting. Good luck!
Old 03-12-2016, 02:57 PM   #38

Are Forest River products junk?

I think, as with any company that is mass producing, the problems that I have had have not been the quality of the materials, but with quality assurance of the work performed. All my problems would have been spotted before it left the line if someone would have simply checked it. I know that Forest River stands behind their product when a problem does crop up, so I have no reservations recommending them when a friend asks.

That said, from what I have read in these forums, a lot of the problems are at the dealer level, that ends up going back on FR. I myself, have a great dealer, J and J Camper, in East Moline, Illinois. They have went out of their way, to make my 33CK right, as well as FR. They are not my closest dealer, but it will always be where I do business.

So IMHO, no, FR products are not junk.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:39 PM   #39

My first TT was back in 1966. We took our honeymoon with a slide-in camper. Our first born can't remember sleeping in a bassinet in our first Class A. DW and I have had other slide-ins, and a Class C we had for 10 years. So we have some experience.

Last year DW, after some years away from camping, suggested we see the country rather than snow bird between two residences. We looked at a Class A Airstream, several Class B and Cs, all used. On returning from viewing the Class A, we stopped at a dealer and looked new-very nice but 10x more that we paid for our first Class C purchased new at the Chicago RV Show.

Two Class Cs fit the criteria. Hours were spent going from one to the other. From our experience, we went over virtually everything for fit and finish and the layout of both. The dealer answered our questions and explained what was new to us. We were given a really good price and we now own a Sunseeker 2500TS.

Buyers remorse? No way. Our first trip was back to our honeymoon spot. Time had changed the area, and maybe DW and I had "snow on our roofs" but it had not changed our love of camping.

Yes, we were unhappy because bare metal was left unprotected. A few can of undercoat fixed our concerns. Note, exposed bare metal is not unique to FR. We have personalized it with upgrades, but that's a part of making it home. Thus far, we have had no problems requiring dealer service. We are well satisfied with out Forest River Sunseeker.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:46 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Down View Post
A profound question I know, but looking through the many different forums and discussions on these pages, I am getting cold feet about the purchase of a new (my first) Forest River Surveyor 291 BHSS.
I realize the purpose of these forums is to share ideas and opinions, but I am having a hard time finding positive feedback on most of the FR products and service performance.
And yes I also understand it would not matter who the manufacture. Any of the such sites devoted to product discussion are going to be filled with negatives.
So far as a"newbie" I have identified a PDI inspection list, a list of extra equipment needed and some tips for security of the trailer while in storage (not on my property).
But the real question is, do I really want to do this at all?

A note: I plan to tow the above mentioned TT with a new Ford 150 EB with 11,400 lb. tow capacity. Anybody got a problem with that?
If so, speak up please. I am all ears for doing this right the first time and do appreciate any input that will avoid heartburn on the road.
Thanks,
RMc
I'm on my 2nd FR Surveyor and I have nothing but good things to say about Forest River. They stand by their products as far as I'm concerned. Also both were towed by Ford F150's one with the 5.4 V8 and since that truck I have had two ecoboost trucks that pull far better than the 5.4 ever dreamed of. I always get the max tow package when I order a new truck.

Tags
forest river