Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2016, 10:39 AM   #1

Are there any good Forest River/Coachmen dealers

This is my time to vent, sorry. I think that I have made a mistake in the purchase of our new Coachman 215 RBK. I had to purchase this unit 5 1/2 hours north of my location (on one of Idahos goat trails), they were the closest dealer for this unit. I have spoken to a number of Forest River/Coachman dealers here in the valley and asked them if they would perform any necessary warranty work for me. I am a realist and this is not my first rodeo, I know something will come up. They all seems to feel the same way, they would reluctantly work on my unit. But they would put me on the back burner. In other words if a customer of theirs comes in and they are working my my unit, they will move on to them and back to me later even if I have an appointment. Which is making me wonder if I made a mistake with this purchase. To be honest if there was a way to back out of my deal (they are all ready adding my upgrades) with the vendor in northern Idaho I would probably do it.

What scares me if I am on the road and have an issue that needs to be resolved what is going to happen. We are planing on taking this unit on the 2400 mile trip the first of May.

When I contacted Forest River they responded:
"Yes you can take your coach to any Coachmen or Forest River dealer regardless of what they sell at that location. You may want to check with a few of the area dealers to make sure they will work on your coach though.
Some dealers regardless of who the manufacturer is will not work on anything they do not sell. Please steer away from these dealers as they are in the business of Sales and not Customer Service." It seems as if they know there is a issue but do not want to deal with it.

Any thoughts from the RV Community. How would you handle this? I am getting the same comments everywhere.

Bob k
Love to communicate via the airwaves
WT7E (Ham Radio)
BobandAnitaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:52 AM   #2

I was also told that. It didn't happen though. When I had to have warranty work done, they treated me the same as any other customer. They did mention at least a gazillion times that I didn't buy it there but no negative action was taken against me.

Run Free Sweet Riley 2009-2015

Visit our blog for more information and details!
www.kels4g.com
Kels4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:52 AM   #3

You'll have this "problem" no matter what brand you buy.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:07 AM   #4
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
You'll have this "problem" no matter what brand you buy.
I have heard this on just about every brand at one point or another. There are some decent dealers out there, but they seem to be the exception rather than the rule. I have had issues with some CW's and others have been fine. I have dealt with one dealer that was great to me, even though I hadn't purchased there. Other people have had crappy service from the same dealer and they did purchase there. I would do my due diligence, a thorough PDI and make sure EVERYTHING major is fixed prior to leaving the selling dealer. If there are any major issues I would walk away.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:49 AM   #5
2012 Solera

I bought "locally" from "the best local dealer". Found I was best served by an independent local RV repair shop. Independent repair place makes their living from repairs - not from sales. Dealer (in my experience) sees service as an "expense to be minimized " and sees sales as their business. When under warranty, got pre-approval from FR, paid independent myself, reimbursed by FR.
For chassis issues, I go to a Sprinter or Mercedes service center (dealer). No issues getting chassis service "on the road".
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:03 PM   #6

Find you a good indepedant service shop. Your unit probably won't break down in your driveway anyhow. If you have a issue,let your service guy do the work. If you are handy,try calling Coachman and have the ship you the pieces.
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:52 PM   #7

If your unit breaks down on the rod, you aren't going to take it to your "selling dealer" anyway. We've bought all 3 of our units from a very good FR dealer just outside of St. Louis. When we did have a problem, on the road, a dealer in Ottumwa, Iowa, whom I'd never heard of, recognized that we were travelling through from outside the state. I called him at 4:30 p.m. He said it was too late to do anything that evening (I was already in a campground 45 minutes from him) but if I could get there early the next day, he would see what he could do. Arrived at his shop at 8:00 a.m., had the problem resolved, and was on our way before 10:00 a.m. So, to answer your question, yep, there are some very good dealers out there.

Kudos to Bowling Motors and RV in Ottumwa, Iowa. Customer service above and beyond.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:55 PM   #8

We just purchased a Coachmen and spent a week in it. So far so good and I really like. Depending on what you have done - signed paperwork put money down. You might be able to back out but may lose some money. If you are really that concerned then it is best to get out. But if you are nervous go with your instinct. You probably did a lot of research before deciding on it.

You never know what will happen but do a good inspection prior. Good Luck.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:19 PM   #9

Its all about "greasing their palm", since there is no real regulation for RVs like there are on vehicles its all about how to get your RV in the dealership to be worked on. It is the old adage of money talks bul#$%^t walks. The service manager is the one who sets the schedule, he is the one who decides when, where and why.

Dealerships know that they make money on selling the rv not working on warranty work. The guy who needs work done and is out of warranty and has to pay for the work is getting serviced before you. Its all about the money. It is like that anywhere you go. Do not get me wrong there are the exceptional few, but, as stated above they are far and few between.
The best thing you can do is get your tools together and learn to do it yourself. With that think of the satisfaction you will get knowing you did it yourself. One last note take pictures before during and after so you can keep track of it all.
AJAbbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:36 PM   #10

I purchased my Grey Wolf 25RR in Indiana and live in Milwaukee and went to I-94 RV in Kenosha where I was pretty much told to go %#@& myself because I hadn't bought from them.
I'm a lifelong camper, but first time RV'er.
However, I did go to Burlington RV which ended up closer to my house and they couldn't have been nicer, and from now on each and every purchase, upgrade or warranty work will be down at their shop.
Burlington RV is hands above all the rest in the area, so yes there are some bad apples out there, but keep looking and you'll find people to help you that love this lifestyle as much as we do.
Not everyone has their head in a black tank
Old 03-28-2016, 04:10 PM   #11
Site Team

Remember that the RV Industry doesn't work like the Auto Industry.
Manufacturers can't force dealers to work on units they didn't sell.
That's why they have disclaimers in their brochures/paperwork advising to buy local.

You always have the independent shop reimbursement option. Just get pre approval from FR.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:41 PM   #12

I have gone to independent shops for work on the road, they have put off other work to take a traveler because you will move on if they dont. keep in touch with your coachman/ FR rep and the component mfg giving trouble. get a component serial # list from your dealer/FR before your travels. Safe travels.
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:57 PM   #13

What I have been told is do not bring your unit for warranty service because they would not work on it.. I will try to find a service center that will help. I must have created a stir. The Coachman folks called this afternoon to tell me that any Forest River dealer will help me even after I explained to gal that the dealers are telling me to drop dead.
BobandAnitaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:02 PM   #14

My experience with FR dealers has been at best horrible. I have never seen another group so reched as they are.

You best solution is assume they will never help in any way and that it is all up to you.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:02 PM   #15

I bought our motor home from the closest Forest River Dealer and found out they had a terrible service department. I have found that there are several dealers that range from 1 hour to 1 and one half hour away that give excellent service. I would rather drive the longer distance rather than travelling 15 minutes to the Forest River Dealer where I bought the motor home from. I also have found that both of these dealers that are further away don't care whether or not I bought the motor home from them or not. Hopefully, you will find the same.
Bubbamace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:10 PM   #16

Wouldn't it be nice for the consumer to just take it in somewhere, get it fixed, pay for it.......and then send all the paperwork to Forest River and say "This is what it cost me because Joe's Trailers down the road from me wouldn't do warranty work; and I didn't buy it there because he's exorbitant in pricing. Please reimburse me."

I know that isn't how it's going to work. I know I'm dreaming......but it would fix the problem.

And there is a ton of discussion on here about warranty work. My question would be, if you can't get Joe's Local Trailer Dealer to work on your unit for warranty, where will you take it 5 years from now when you need something repaired and you're out of warranty?????? All fixes are not warranty fixes, surely.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:17 PM   #17

There are a number of dealers who are good at selling units. Have found few dealers who provide much service after the sale. Delays, deceptions and disappointment seem to be the rule. Please identify both the good and bad dealers in these public forums so consumers and members of the RV community can hopefully choose the best dealer possible. I've had reasonably good responses from FR warrantee people but nothing but trouble and disappointment from my dealer, Fun Town. Good luck.
Rollingdunder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:39 PM   #18

GoodDealers???

I bought mine locally thinking like most that it would help with service. I couldn't have been more wrong!!! Had the unit for a couple of months and seem to be at the end of the line for a minor repair that I missed on the walk through. Hope others are doing better.
DocRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:59 PM   #19

Please identify dealers that have been good or have you have a legitimate grip with. It is one of the few ways we consumers can make a statement.
Rollingdunder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:00 PM   #20

I just dropped off my Coachman Clipper 17FQ today for warranty service at Crestview RV in Georgetown, TX.

I bought it from them earlier this month. Three minor issues: The head of the mattress gets wet when it rains (I suspect the front window seal is leaking), the hot water heater pressure relief valve leaks when up to temp, and the black water valve leaks.

I'll see how it goes.
Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen, dealer, forest river