Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2017, 07:37 PM   #1

Are there any good FR trailers

I'm going next week to do my walk through on a new 2017 mini lite 2304 and thought i would look on this site for some pointers on the walk through. And all i have been reading is problems FR are having with there campers like holding tanks falling out, water leaks,cracked walls and on and on .Is there any good FR campers out there i do like the floor plan and the storage This my first camper , just don't know now after reading all the problems what i got my self into. Please tell me there our some happy FR mini lite campers out there
gpminiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:47 PM   #2

We are very happy! We have a 2017 30HDS Hyper Lite, just finished a week of camping with zero issues, or problems. Everything functions perfectly. This is our second FR, as our first was a Wildwood, and it was trouble free also.
We have 3 more extended trips booked out, and we know they will be great!
Dodge Ram 2500 HD Cummins
2018 Ultra Limited
HyperCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:00 PM   #3

As long as you have a fairly decent mechanical aptitude, you'll be ok. Here's where my fresh water tank is right now. It's not even a year old.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5790.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	133085  
rat4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:05 PM   #4

ive owned a kz a keystone and 3 forest river products in the last 7 years. I have nothing bad to say about forest river yet. two where purchased new, one was used.

If someone loves their unit and never has a problem you are never going to hear about it. One person has an issue and they tell 100 other people.

I just took delivery on my new 5th wheel and could not be more exited. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:06 PM   #5

Most folks don't post when everything is going great, Keep in mind the number of rigs out there and the relative small number of posts. With that said if you are looking to get a rig that is totally free of any defects the RV industry is the wrong place no matter what the name on the unit is. Do a good PDI and get things fix prior to leaving the lot
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:13 PM   #6

We just bought this model. Have not used it yet, but I have two negatives. The tv is mounted above a shelf and unless you're taller than 6' you can't see the whole screen from the couch. The slide out, the bathroom, bigger fridge and freezer etc. Are great. Kitchen counter space is limited. I have been measuring the cabinets outside the rv and the Murphy Bed sits pretty low. Even though the storage goes all the way through the doors on either side don't line up. I wish there was a sealed compartment to store the sewage stuff. I'm going to either use a sealed box or carry the stuff in the pickup truck bed.

I'm sure everything is going to work out well. We love the floor plan. I've already changed the tv mount.

I wish there was a light switch by the door. I did buy a LED night light a plugged it into the receptacle next to the bed and one under the fridge.

We really like our camper.
JCDMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:17 PM   #7

join a forum or Facebook group for other brands and you will read all the same horror stories. Every brand is a do-it-yourself project that never ends.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:18 PM   #8

We absolutely love our fifth wheel, we understand some repairs will need to be made, and you may or may not read a rant or two of mine about the poor FR service, some get it, some don't. If FR actually stepped up to the plate and fixed ours, we would definitely tell all we come in contact with that they are a good company. Being that they refused to, I will be the first to say that you better be ready to bend over and grab your ankles and hang on for the ride, it could get rough!
Old 03-27-2017, 08:22 PM   #9
Site Team

As mentioned above, people usually only post when they need some help. As a reference, there are over 80,000 members on FRF. The industry is enjoying an upswing currently and production is running higher than usual so more mistakes are being made, but I would not let that run me off. Find a good dealer ( ask customers not the dealer) and do a good PDI. Use common sense and if you are not comfortable walk. Take the emotion out of the deal. If you do find an issue during the walk through have it repaired before you sign anything. If the dealer wants their money the repair will happen quickly. It is better to pick it up a week late than bring it back a few weeks later to have it sit there for a month or more. We bought our Coachmen three years ago and have had no issues. Find what you want, anticipate a few minor issues, then go camping and enjoy your new TT.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:53 PM   #10

We have FR Flagstaff and like it just fine, but I will say we loved our Keystone Passport more. The problem was that we "desired" a larger shower and that's how our Flagstaff came to be. One thing I can tell you is that we are currently on a trip from PA to FL and FR products seem to be the most popular. Tons of Montanas out there. We rarely see any Flagstaff though. Wonder why? Hmmmmmm...
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty. Nick 25 y/o and Leif 6 1/2 yrs.
cruisegrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:06 PM   #11
Site Team

We're on our second FR product.

Our Rockwood Roo is up for sale after over 10 years of great service. Minor things wrong that were fixed quickly.
Would've bought another Rockwood/Flagstaff product if they had a floorplan that worked for us.

We're traveling in our brand new Prime Time TracerAIR that we've only owned for 10 days. Took off on our trip the day after we picked it up from the dealer.
So far, only minor cosmetic issues.
Is a great TT for the price point. Lots of upgrade features normally not found on TTs at this price.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:31 PM   #12
Site Team

I have a 2011 trailer I brought in September 2010. Pretty much problem free except for replacing aged related items like smoke alarm, co alarm, etc.. And I have an entry level tt.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:39 AM   #13

Bad news always gets reported, good news rarely. We are thrilled with our FR Vibe.
jeffandrews55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:43 AM   #14
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
As mentioned above, people usually only post when they need some help. As a reference, there are over 80,000 members on FRF. The industry is enjoying an upswing currently and production is running higher than usual so more mistakes are being made, but I would not let that run me off. Find a good dealer ( ask customers not the dealer) and do a good PDI. Use common sense and if you are not comfortable walk. Take the emotion out of the deal. If you do find an issue during the walk through have it repaired before you sign anything. If the dealer wants their money the repair will happen quickly. It is better to pick it up a week late than bring it back a few weeks later to have it sit there for a month or more. We bought our Coachmen three years ago and have had no issues. Find what you want, anticipate a few minor issues, then go camping and enjoy your new TT.

Spot on!

We love our Coachmen! Yea there has been some minor issues but I believe it is a good piece of equipment!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:12 AM   #15

Short answer is...YES! Like others have said, most people do not say much about how well their rigs work. They normally complain when something doesn't. I have owned three PrimeTime products (another Forest River produst) over the last 5 years. I have liked them all. They have had minor issues, when picking them up, but those issues were not show stoppers and the dealer fixed them up immediately. These were minor items like a wall covering with a crease in it, a piece of moulding that was missing a nail, a malfunctioning indicator light, etc. Nothing major. I could have easily fixed them, but when under warranty, let the professionals do it for free. Two of those trailers were Avengers (21RB and 28RKS) and our present Crusader (315RST). We have really liked all of them.

I will say every RV you buy is a trade-off. I have not seen one which had EVERYTHING we wanted. You will have to do a list of what you must have, what you want, along with things you don't want and things you won't be able to live with. The only way to come up with that list is to look at lots of floorplans, look at lots of models. Your decision will then be much easier and your selected RV will be what you want, not what you settled for or what they had available at the moment.

I'm not about to say Primetime makes the best RVs in the world, but we have been very happy with ours and have talked with other owners and most were also happy with theirs.

Good luck with your new home away from home. I hope you have lots of memory-making years with it!
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:28 AM   #16

We purchased our first TT Forest River Lacrosse 318BHS last November, and was able to finally pick it up this past end of January, it was a used 2015 which had a pretty nice scratch on the outside kitchen door, we left it to have the door replaced which took forever, but finally after much nagging were able to pick it up. Yes as they said above make sure you inspect it good and have EVERYTHING fixed before you pick it up, don't leave the place with things to fix later.

We have enjoyed ours a lot, love the tons of storage and the configuration of the two separate bedrooms and of course my husband's favorite the outside kitchen.

Good luck looking for one that will fit your family and enjoy your travels in it.
loly50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:08 PM   #17

We bought the FR Cardinal 3250 and love it! Sure, there have been several issues but I knew that would happen plus FR has taken care of them or I did them myself.
I read the forums on almost a daily basis and usually pick up some good learnings. As a few have said, the forums are a place to share and understand how to repair problems. You get a very negative view if this is all you read thinking it is truly representative.
I'd go back and buy the same 5er all over again knowing what I know now. Not often I can say that about items like these...
Previously: 36' Country Coach
Havasu Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpminiguy View Post
I'm going next week to do my walk through on a new 2017 mini lite 2304 and thought i would look on this site for some pointers on the walk through. And all i have been reading is problems FR are having with there campers like holding tanks falling out, water leaks,cracked walls and on and on .Is there any good FR campers out there i do like the floor plan and the storage This my first camper , just don't know now after reading all the problems what i got my self into. Please tell me there our some happy FR mini lite campers out there

I really feel that quality (or lack thereof) is on a unit by unit basis when considering campers. Combine that with the probability that for every one complaint there's probably 7-10 happy owners and it may start to make sense.

I've owned a Forest River Wildwood X Lite for two years now. We bought brand new. We had a few problems initially but the dealer was responsive in fixing them and even pro-actively repaired slide damage that happened on factory delivery to the dealer. The camper and all of its systems have treated us well in all our use. We've been very happy with our purchase and have had it out on the road a total of 20 times in the first two seasons. Granted it's my first camper and I've nothing else to base it off of but I'll say it's a nice unit and I'm happy with FR.
stantyszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:43 PM   #19

forest river

As mentioned by others, there isn't a trailer out there that never has problems You only hear from those who have problems. Other manufactures may have a forum too and if so I am sure you will find complaints and problems owners are having with that make. The perfect trailer, motorhome, rv doesn't exist.
dmlranhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:56 PM   #20

We're going on 2 years now in our 2015 Flagstaff Microlite 21DS which we purchased new. So far the only things that have needed fixing are a couple of drawer slides that weren't anchored well and worked loose and the black tank roof vent was cut a little short and at an angle, not sealed so there was some smell. I popped the vent caps and sealed both tank vents with silicone. No problems that were anywhere near worth a trip to the dealer. I've done minor mods on cabinets and lighting which I see the manufacturer has now included in later year models. Still getting styro beads, sawdust and loose screws emerging after long bumpy drives but no worse than the sand and dirt we drag in at the camp sites . I think the dealer prep and PDI are most important. Our guy had it hooked up and A/C running when we came for our appointment to pick up. He demonstrated every appliance and feature both on shore power/water and boonie style so we'd know that they worked and how to use them once on our own. The dealer included full 30# propane tanks and a second battery as standard equipment. Be sure to get a second deep cycle battery if you intend to camp more than one night at a time without hookups.

Tags
trailer