Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2018, 11:08 AM   #1

Are there codes for RV construction?

Given the number of problems which seem to arise with rv construction methods, are there standards or codes which are to be met? As a total newby to the TT world, I cannot imagine that there aren't some standards which could be cited to a dealer or manufacturer when these problems are found. Seems like everything has some form of standard or code to follow. Using a household indoor electrical box for the wiring on the front of my TT seems like a violation of some electrical code. (Exposing wiring to outdoor conditions??) Narrowly meeting simple construction codes with regards to load bearing etc.? Does anyone have any insight in this?

2018 Heritage Glen 24bhhl
2015 Ram 2500 6.4liter, SB, 3154 lbs payload
Me, DW, and 55lbs of Sofie the Goldendoodle.
cbetmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:14 AM   #2
Always Learning

RVIA publishes guidelines that are looked on a bit as codes. But, as far as I'm aware, they don't have anything to do with actual enforcement. And they're run by RV manufacturers... so, to me it is a little like the inmates running the asylum.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:23 AM   #3

I'm sure RVIA has some codes/standards. But how high, or low, are those codes/standards. Example: It might say 'electrical junction box' but not specify what kind.
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:28 AM   #4

Don't think so, at least not like a regular house construction.
Don' have to be an electrician to run/hook wireing up. Don't have to be a plumber to run/hook lines up.
Just your regular $8.25 dollar an hour employee.
You would think that by pure repitition they would get it right, eventually. But they can't seem to get it right from rig to rig.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:28 AM   #5

NEC has code sections that specifically deal with recreational vehicles and RV parks...when it comes to all things electrical.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
NEC has code sections that specifically deal with recreational vehicles and RV parks...when it comes to all things electrical.
Code, yes, maybe. But, who is the "quality control" employee who checks to see if the work was properly done to "code"? He must be the one who makes $8.50 an hour.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:34 AM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
Just your regular $8.25 dollar an hour employee.
That's the thing- I've always heard/read it isn't even an hourly wage but that they get paid by the piece. The quicker they get through the line, the quicker they go home.

Could just be internet rumors, though.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbetmoose View Post
Given the number of problems which seem to arise with rv construction methods, are there standards or codes which are to be met? As a total newby to the TT world, I cannot imagine that there aren't some standards which could be cited to a dealer or manufacturer when these problems are found. Seems like everything has some form of standard or code to follow. Using a household indoor electrical box for the wiring on the front of my TT seems like a violation of some electrical code. (Exposing wiring to outdoor conditions??) Narrowly meeting simple construction codes with regards to load bearing etc.? Does anyone have any insight in this?
Can't speak for the structural issues, but it seems they all use a std. electrical box somewhere on the front. These only contain 12 volt wires and my guess is std. electrical codes don't apply here. Nothing in there that can give you a shock. Probably no different than some of the electrical under your truck for the hitch, etc. Just sayin.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:13 PM   #9

Yep. If the tires don’t explode on delivery and you sign off the walk through. It passes code.
milton_w_herron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:23 PM   #10
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
That's the thing- I've always heard/read it isn't even an hourly wage but that they get paid by the piece. The quicker they get through the line, the quicker they go home.

Could just be internet rumors, though.
It is most definitely true.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:48 PM   #11

Code ~~~~ I doubt most of the employees could spell the word and fewer know the meaning!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:04 PM   #12

Best I can tell there are codes/standards and all are voluntary and recommended installation practices. If the company pays their dues it gets to display the logo sticker on their product. As far as QA/QC from what I have seen, document wise, is that QA/QC gets involved with maybe the finished product. In progress inspections are done by a shift leader/team chief etc. and checks off the inspected items/areas and such. These shift leaders/team chiefs are probably individuals that have moved up from installers to those positions and do not really have a grasp on what quality control means. If the job is done the way I did it, it must be good. Although; he did it in the same irresponsible way. These individuals only sign off the sheet that is assigned a particular area/job where the installer has checked/initialed off the inspection item's Some times these types of inspections are referred to as "self inspection" and there you have it. A QA/QC qualified inspector does inspect the in progress inspection sheets but only to verify that all initials and check marks are accounted for by the installer and team chief/shift leader. In other words, a paper checker. If a qualified QA/QC inspector does actually get a hands on involvement with the product it is after the unit is complete and all areas are buttoned up for delivery. Its been like this for a very long time and changes that might slow down production, cost money, etc. does not allow any changes to take place.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:07 PM   #13
Canadian Member

Have a look at this webpage

https://www.rvia.org/standards-regul...ansi-standards

I have no idea how they enforce the standards in the plants.

Keep in mind that the vast majority of issues posted on forums have little to do with the standards noted on that page but rather have more to do with the quality of construction of the vehicle.

I would hope there is some kind of standard for the structural design of RVs.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:16 PM   #14

Ha ha ha codes and quality control in rv construction?? That’s the funniest thing I’ve heard . Warren Buffet laughs with glee every time one is sold.
Sorry OP I just couldn’t resist.
Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:27 PM   #15

If you follow the link in #13 above it shows lots of codes that are applicable to RV's. When you talk about code and quality of workmanship they are two totally different subjects. I wouldn't think that the RV industry would engineer units that intentionally don't meet code. Do they have problems with the quality of employee workmanship? I don't know of an industry that doesn't have that problem. They are certainly turning out a much better product than they were 30/40 years ago. An RV is a complex product to manufacture. There is bound to be a defect of some kind. When we bought a new house there were several problems, only a few which the builder corrected. When I bought my certified pre-owned Silverado there were items that the certified service department at the Chevy dealership couldn't fix and actually made worse. I run a home repair business and correct the shoddy workmanship of others all the time. Lots of businesses don't warranty anymore what they sell. Why should we expect the RV industry to be so different? It certainly would be nice if the business world would practice better ethics and provide quality customer service.
Iowa City Fix It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa City Fix It View Post
An RV is a complex product to manufacture. There is bound to be a defect of some kind.
Your analysis makes this statement sound like a rule instead of what it should be; an exception.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:35 PM   #17

Non-expert

I was a mobilehome and RV inspector for the state of California in the 1990's when our politicians decided (probably with a bit of help from the RV Industry) that the state no longer needed to inspect units as they are being built. That made our job a bit easier because we no longer had to inspect units being built in California. The rationale at the time was "no other states do it", which kind of speaks to the real issue. The manufacturers are responsible for their units' construction in accordance with the RVIA manuals and some applicable codes. Bottom line, their only impetus for doing things right is their reputation and the cost of warranty repairs.
That said, most seem to do a pretty good job, because we all know when they don't. They are complex (especially motorhomes) and subject to a hard life, but nothing will substitute for careful inspection and maintenance. Buyer beware.

We've owned 11 different units, never had a major problem. Wish us luck.
Mike Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbetmoose View Post
... are there standards or codes which are to be met?

Yes, there are codes and standards. There is a whole list of codes and standards.

The RVIA (Recreational Vehicle Industry Association) sets standards that manufacturers must meet to receive the RVIA Seal. The RVIA states that over 95% of RV companies are members of their organization and almost all new(er) RV's will have that seal. I can't remember the last time I saw one that did not have it. And I have run into campgrounds that require the seal before they will let you stay.

The codes and standards adopted by the RVIA include:
1 - 2018 NFPA 1192 (National Fire Protection Association) - - covering plumbing, propane and fire issues
2 - 2018 ANSI/RVIA LV standard - - 12 volt electrical systems
3 - 2015 ANSI (American National Standards Institute) A119.5 PMRV standard - - more plumbing, propane and fire/life safety and construction issues
4 - 2017 NEC National Electrical Code - - 120 volt electrical systems
5 - 2018 ANSI TSIC-1 - - Control for assembly of wheels on trailers
6 - 2018 ANSI/RVIA EGS-1 - - Engine generator sets for RV Safety Requirements
7 - 2014 ANSI/RVIA UPA-1 - - Uniform plan approval for RV's
8 - 2015 ANSI A119.5 - - Park Model RV Standards

The RVIA codes and standards also reflect the FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) as listed in Title 49, part 571 of the Code of Federal Regulations. Those requirements are (I believe) promulgated by NHTSA (National Highway Transportation Safety Association (or Act - whatever) ).

All of these are voluntary (except the NHTSA ones) but many states require compliance in order to manufacture or sell in their jurisdictions. The last time I checked I believe (counting on memory here) some 20 or so states require compliance. My state, Oregon, requires all RV's made or sold in the state be compliant with NFPA 1192.

Now, how well the compliance is enforced or how much quality control is present is a whole 'nother matter. But - - especially if you live in a state that requires compliance - - if a covered component does not meet codes or standards you could file a complaint - - either with your state or RVIA - - and have the matter looked into.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:25 PM   #19

Just because there are RVIA standards and the manufacturer follows them doesn't mean that the vehicle will be built well or that it's safe to use. I ran into this when I discovered that I was getting exhaust fumes from the generator inside the rig. I ended up calling RVIA and discovered that my Georgetown met the RVIA specifications for the generator exhaust pipe.

Unfortunately, the specifications allow placing the exhaust underneath of a slide which does a wonderful job of trapping the exhaust fumes when the generator is running. Forest River did authorize replacement of the exhaust pipe with it relocated to where the exhaust fumes shouldn't collect under the slide. Before it was relocated, I'd even have fumes entering the rig with the slide closed.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:28 AM   #20

RVIA ~~ buyers pay for the sticker that says the unit is being built to standards. Those standards are the minimum they believe they can get away with. The standards are set for the industry, not the buyer. No one checks to see if standards are met during the build. A good thing, but still more of a farce than a force.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote