Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #21
Site Team

I've considered that also. I tell all Facebook friends when I'm leaving and when I'll be back. Included in this list of friends are several neighbors including a deputy, 2 police officers, a preacher, a retiree and a bread delivery man who gets up at 2:00am. They all respond with comments like "got your back door covered", I'll feed your Pitt bull for you, (I don't have one) I'm working night shift so I'll pass by frequently and look around," etc. We didn't discuss this, it just sort of happened. Sort of an unofficial neighborhood watch. Works because we really do watch out for each other. Sure helps relieve concerns when we travel.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

3) REMOVE signs about guns and killing intruders. Any firearm crime lawyer will tell you that this is a sign of premeditation and will make your self defense claim more difficult to prove in court. Ditto for "Beware of dog" signs as they telegraph that you KNEW your dog was prone to attack visitors and intruders. (let that dog bite one kid and you won't be walking in the sun for years).

private property signs and warnings to stay out or risk to bodily injury is not a sign to premeditation, it is a warning about what could happen if you do not follow my rules. My property is mine and subject to my rules. they have to get around my fence, and thats means they were not invited

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:02 PM   #23
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Put a radio on a timer as well... a little sound in the house helps.

Free newspapers... put a small sign at the end of your driveway ... NO FREE NEWSPAPERS. Seems to help from what I'm told by my sister inlaw
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:51 PM   #24

Wow, that guy is smart, and a low life of course with the hang tag trick. Thanks for the heads up.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #25
Love My Sunseeker

Back when I had a house, I would insist that all packages be delivered Postal Service to my PO Box. NO UPS or FedEx allowed. Sometimes I had to holler and stamp my feet when I was mail ordering. All companies CAN send via Postal Service. They just don't like to. It eats into their profits on "shipping and handling" charges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
One problem with the door tag is that Fed Ex now leaves a door tag even when the parcel *is* delivered. I've seen them hanging on mailboxes even.

I think they do this in case your parcel is stolen.

I'm not crazy about that new policy.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:20 PM   #26
Love My Sunseeker

At one time there was a web site (ProQuo????) where you could do that. I opted out and never got another "free" newspaper. I also stopped getting the weekly grocery store inserts. Let me see if I can find that website.

Looks like ProQuo doesn't exist any more.

But CatalogChoice.org exists! I think I also used this one and got opted out of a lot of junk mail

Do Not MailÂ*:Â*Stop getting junk mail

Here is one web site where you can opt out of this specific marketing company's mailings:

https://www.redplum.com/tools/redplu...addremove.html

SOme tips from EcoFuture:

Junk mail and the U.S. Post Office - EcoFuture resources on How to Get Rid of Junk Mail, Spam, and Telemarketers

It takes some work! I fought it for three years before I got it to where I don't get any more, except maybe once a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Does anyone know how to get the "free newspapers" to stop throwing papers onto my driveway? I've called before and asked to not get them, but yet they still chuck them into my driveway where I carry them to my recycling bin.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #27
Love My Sunseeker

Some more options:

Experian (the credit reporting agency)
Privacy Policy at Experian.com

Also, the Direct Marketing Association, the the professional trade group for the junk mailers, is trying to lead the way with "opt out" service. At one time they used to charge a MINOR fee, don't know if they do now, I have used them, and this one helps get rid of MOST of the junk mail. Looks like they charge $1 now.

https://www.dmachoice.org/

Now, if it's a local ma and pa newspaper that is leaving "Freebies" at your site, you may have to go down to the office, scream and stamp your feet to have your address removed.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:09 PM   #28
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post
Now, if it's a local ma and pa newspaper that is leaving "Freebies" at your site, you may have to go down to the office, scream and stamp your feet to have your address removed.
It's this. They "deliver" it by driving slowly and chucking them out of the car window onto my drive way. Everyone gets one and I really don't want it.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:13 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:

It's this. They "deliver" it by driving slowly and chucking them out of the car window onto my drive way. Everyone gets one and I really don't want it.
Your delivery guy drives slowly? Count your blessings. Mine hits the driveway with my newspaper at just under light speed. Lol.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:39 AM   #30
Site Team

My sister thinks I'm crazy but this is one of the reasons I don't keep my TT at home. People can still read other clues that someone might be gone but like other members here I also try to address them as well.

I usually don't load the TT at home either but part of the reason for this is due to it being easier to buy food after hitting the campground and that my TT is pretty much ready to camp to start with. Remember that I'm camping solo so my style is different than for a family. I do stock the TT at the storage place with canned & dry goods ahead of time even weeks ahead.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:56 AM   #31

Quote:
I had that problem.
Call and write down time and date.
Do that twice more.
Call and tell them that you have called three times b4 and that this is the fourth and it is documented.
Tell them that if they throw the paper on the drive once more you will call the police and have them charged with littering.
Worked for me!
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote