Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2013, 11:46 AM   #1

Are you advertising to others that your not home?

Just something to think about. It's nothing new, but maybe over looked by many. This maybe a good time to plan ahead for that next RV season.

We have been in our current house for the last 12 years and during most of this time there has been an RV of some sort in the driveway. Well a few months ago we sold our diesel pusher and had a new Wildcat 5th wheel delivered. It was promptly parked in place of the past pusher coach. After being parked in place for about 2 weeks I needed to hitch up and go get the TX state inspection taken care of, so away I went. When I got back to the house I parked the trailer and truck in the circular part of the driveway where it remained until the next day. I was going to take the Wildcat into a local dealer for some warranty issues.

Just before heading out to the dealership I went to check the porch to see if UPS may have made an expected delivery. No package but there was a FedEx Door Tag hanging dead center on the door. The door tag caught me off guard as I was not expecting anything from FedEx that would require a signature. After checking the door tag close I noticed that there was no information filled out, it was a totally blank FE Door Tag. So I called FedEx to see what I could find out.....surprise FedEx had no information on file that matched that tag number. They asked for my address and confirmed that I had a package due later in the afternoon from Amazon, but the computer showed nothing else.

Bing, Bing, Bing the bells in my head go off!!! My train of thought quickly went to, a Bad Guy driving by the house and seeing a RV hooked up and ready to leave. He sticks a FE door tag on the door to see if it gets removed over the next day or so to see if anyone is home. If the tag were to stay, the house would look to be easy pickings.

Now I live in a nice quite little town, but out away from near/close neighbors. Our police department will upon notification of being asked will drive by and walk the perimeter of the house checking doors and windows at a minimum of 3 times a day. But, I know that not everyone has this benefit. So the point I am making is, now maybe the time to remember that as the exterior of your property changes such as the RV is loaded, moved or even aired out. You may be advertising to others that you are planning to be out of the house for awhile. To which they may also be taking as an invitation to move in and personal items move out.

If you not friendly with your neighbors maybe it is time to go knock on their door and become true neighbors who watch out for one another.

If your going to be gone for the month of July in your RV, it maybe worth paying for off sight storage for the month or weeks ahead of your trip.

Happy Camping

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:57 AM   #2

Now would be the time to install a good alarm system. With the cost of video systems getting lower in cost you could also install a system. Both items will not stop a person from entering your home but it will discourage some people.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
Love My Sunseeker

That's why I have a PO Box. No tags hang on my door. I even put a sign on my front door to say, "don't hang any tags." An Avon rep ignored my sign, I called the rep up and screamed at them for that. I also wrote nasty letters to the Avon company and told them to cease and desist that practice.

Some people still assume the 1950's thing of "the little wife is at home all day." Or that everyone that owns a house is married.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post
That's why I have a PO Box. No tags hang on my door. I even put a sign on my front door to say, "don't hang any tags." An Avon rep ignored my sign, I called the rep up and screamed at them for that. I also wrote nasty letters to the Avon company and told them to cease and desist that practice.

Some people still assume the 1950's thing of "the little wife is at home all day." Or that everyone that owns a house is married.
In todays Society I don't assume anything anymore. Being Politically Correct is too difficult now days!!!!

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:49 PM   #5

Our motorhome has to live in storage when we are not on the road. The only time a criminal could use it as an indicator is when he happens to drive by during the days we are preparing for a trip, then sees it is gone later.

Luckily, we have great neighbors. My next door neighbor parks his truck in my carport when we are gone, collects the mail, and keeps an eye out for packages. Of course, I do the same for him.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:55 PM   #6

We have an alarm and that's about the best we can do right now.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #7

Thanks for the advice!
We live in an average neighborhood by the looks of it. However, I can throw a rock and hit a retired detective's house, a retired police chief's house or 2 active police officer's houses.
We also have great neighbors!
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

The sad part about all this is that we actually have to worry about people entering our home. What ever happened to if it is not yours stay away or suffer the consequences for your actions was all it took to keep people out of your home.

mackman1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:02 PM   #9
NELA

We live in a small town as well, outside the city limits. Yes, we considered the "ahah the RV is gone, they're not home" situation.

1. We have a very good burglar alarm.
2. We have a surveillance system.
3. When we're gone camping our neighbors' kids come over and feed/water our chickens, water the plants in the summer time, etc.
4. Sometimes the RV is gone and we're *here*....when it's in for service for example.
5. I'm friends with our mail carrier. He'd alert me in a nano-second of something out of place.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #10
NELA

One problem with the door tag is that Fed Ex now leaves a door tag even when the parcel *is* delivered. I've seen them hanging on mailboxes even.

I think they do this in case your parcel is stolen.

I'm not crazy about that new policy.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:03 PM   #11

Vacation

When I see that commercial with the lady at the airport sitting area posting Hawaii here I come....I shake my head.

So many thieves go to the media sites to check this out. I never post I am going anywhere.
mkford1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
Now would be the time to install a good alarm system. With the cost of video systems getting lower in cost you could also install a system. Both items will not stop a person from entering your home but it will discourage some people.
We have a good alarm system.

We have an onsite Studio Apt and we talked our daughter into moving in. For FREE who can refuse.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkford1953 View Post
When I see that commercial with the lady at the airport sitting area posting Hawaii here I come....I shake my head.

So many thieves go to the media sites to check this out. I never post I am going anywhere.
Yup - post when you get home.
We like to see the pics too!!
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post

33 yrs ago someone took every bodies mail and scattered all over our neighbor. Needless to say we have a PO Box.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:37 AM   #15
Wanna Be Camper

Got 4 100+ lb alarm units (AKA Rotties) monthly premimums are pretty high but they work well living in the country.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #16

our driveway is pretty long and the house cannot be seen from the road, their is a sign saying you will be shot on site. our small town is known for lots of rednecks and nobody comes down our street unless they live on it or are invited..period.. neighbors keep a pretty good eye on that..

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:02 AM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Couple things.

1) MONITORED alarm system. Sirens do not work as they are routinely ignored unless you have very close neighbors who are home.

2) Video cameras with recording and internet capability (report to alarm company for internal trips). Monitor with smart phone app ASee+

3) REMOVE signs about guns and killing intruders. Any firearm crime lawyer will tell you that this is a sign of premeditation and will make your self defense claim more difficult to prove in court. Ditto for "Beware of dog" signs as they telegraph that you KNEW your dog was prone to attack visitors and intruders. (let that dog bite one kid and you won't be walking in the sun for years).

4) STOP mail and paper deliveries (obvious)

5) Lawn Service - uncut lawn is a dead give away.

6) Snow removal service - ditto on the buried driveway and no tracks in the snow. Having a neighbor drive in and out of the drive during light snow falls is good too.

7) Lights on random timers. Live in the house after dark and using the programmable timers, set the lights to use your normal use pattern. Include the cellar and garage if that is normal for you.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #18

I thought about that many times, but between knowing my neighbors well enough that I know if I tell them I will be out of town they will look for anything out of the ordinary at the house. If its more then a weekend away, I always have someone check on the house, or stay for a few random nights if they can.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:42 AM   #19
Site Team

I agree with most everything stated in previous posts but one.

I think blaring horns do work.
We have a block watch and I'm the captain.
I have a blaring claxton horn on my house.
I also have security doors and beefed up door jams but the horn
is my first line of defense.

The thieves know the police routinely won't arrive to a burglar alarm for
10 minutes or more. That blaring alarm horn brings out my neighbors in
under a minute most times. And me to theirs if it goes off.

Car alarms might be ignored in a large parking lot but our house alarm
sounds different than a car alarm and it works.
Neighbors very near me have been broken into in the last year. All had
monitored alarms but no horns. Most now have the horns in addition to
monitoring. I added my horn myself for under $20. My alarm box had
an aux 12v output rated at 1 amp.
Neighbors had a 12v output but rated at a few milliamps. I put on a 12v
relay and a cheap 12 power supply and a horn for them. Total cost under
$40.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #20
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
4) STOP mail and paper deliveries (obvious)
Does anyone know how to get the "free newspapers" to stop throwing papers onto my driveway? I've called before and asked to not get them, but yet they still chuck them into my driveway where I carry them to my recycling bin.