Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2017, 10:15 AM   #1

Are you kidding me?

I guess I just discovered the fault of buying from a "large volume" dealer.
Called today to take the trailer in for a minor repair ( no power to display panel for the tank/battery levels) and check the propane to the fridge and WH ($165.00).
Next appointment to bring the trailer in is over a month from now and it will not get into the shop for another two weeks after that.
Is this normal? And why do they need the trailer to sit two weeks before service?
I know this is the camping season, but over 6 weeks for service?
RMc
Wheels Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:22 AM   #2

This is typical.

You'll need to learn how to work on your camper yourself.
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugoismad View Post
This is typical.

You'll need to learn how to work on your camper yourself.

Yep, I will only take one in if I can't fix it myself and thus far I haven't taken one in.

But I do think that is the goal, to make warranty service so painful it isn't worth the hassle...at least for small stuff.

2017 Cedar Creek Silverback 37MBH
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L, DRW, 4.10 Rear end
BGKirkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:32 AM   #4

I made an appt to take my trailer in cause the awning motor had slowed to a crawl. I bought it there, they had all my numbers. Gave me a date and time about 2-3 weeks away. OK. Had it there 15 minutes early.

Guy has me sign a form and then asks me to haul it across the road to the storage lot, said they'd get to it in a week or 2.

I was amazed, not in a good way.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:36 AM   #5
Site Team

The RV industry is growing faster than manufacturers can support and faster than dealers can hire qualified (?) people. This is very typical. Both of these items could be very easy to resolve yourself. I would post them as separate help requests in the appropriate sections of the forum. The propane issue could be simply the need to bleed the lines and reset the appliances after they have gone into safe mode. Simply remove the fuse for the fridge control board and the furnace wait a minute then reinstall. Run the stove top for a minute or two to purge lines and try again.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:08 PM   #6

Good info.
Thanks to all.
I am good to do the propane check myself. Just thought I would give it a professional check while it was in the shop for warranty work.
Guess it just goes with owning an RV.
RMc
Old 07-06-2017, 12:23 PM   #7
Just A Member

If you have the Dometic power awning then it is probably just a spring tension adjustment on the awning. I was just at The Coachmen rally last week and Dometic was adjusting my awning and said my motor sounded like it was working to hard and adjusted the spring tension. Works great now. If you search this forum you can find the directions for doing the adjustment. Not necessarily hard but can be dangerous if not done correctly. I recall them saying 10 turns should be on spring.
2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 6.2L Max Tow
EDABEUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:59 PM   #8

Old Established Dealer Appointments

I live in a small town. 80 miles north and 80 miles south to two closest Camping Worlds. We have a local shop in town. Everyone knows and trusts him. Cost to travel to CW each way is about $60. Each is backed up at least 2 weeks, so 320 miles to take my TT there ($240). So I use the local guy for all repairs and CW for major supplies.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:11 PM   #9
Site Team

You can always get pre-approval from FR for an independent RV shop to do the warranty work. You will have to pay for it and be reimbursed.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:17 PM   #10

Ditto

If I can't fix a problem by myself (with help from the forum!) I call mobile repair services. Local campgrounds seem to have the names of one or two such companies that are prompt and trustworthy!
LairdT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:02 PM   #11

Most large rv dealerships will try to be your best friend, until they get your check and you take delivery. After that they don't want to have anything to do with you.
rjlarimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:26 PM   #12

Large dealers give me the willies. I had an issue with our battery control center over a year ago . They said I needed a solenoid. Then needed something else.
After buying stuff and running around that was not necessary, turned out that the unit Forest River was using was out the window (Worth Electronics and no parts are available) and now they use another brand. called Precision Circuits. Russ Stull the warranty guy for western Canada (at the time )sent me a new one at no cost. Usually they are warranted to the original owner only.) we are the second owner so was very happy. The dealer should have known this, anyway had the dealer make the necessary connections to the new unit. problem fixed.
The I wanted a ladder for the back. Big dealer never got back to me so I ordered it from a smaller dealer and they gave me all the necessary putty and screws for free.
Anything you can fix yourself go ahead. Between this forum, which is a fountain of information and u tube you can almost repair anything.

Brandon2
2014 2500TS
Sun Seeker
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:26 PM   #13
Dahagen

My dealer was shut down because financial problems (not paying taxes, etc) so I got FR to approve a warranty at a local RV repair shop and FR paid the shop directly. No cost to me at all!
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:32 PM   #14

Yes, that is what to expect if you bought from them! If it is out of warranty you should fix it yourself. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
You can always get pre-approval from FR for an independent RV shop to do the warranty work. You will have to pay for it and be reimbursed.
X2. Our first choice for warranty/repair is a certified independent. Sometimes you have to be reimbursed, and sometimes they pay the independent directly. Just depends. MUCH faster and better work. Dealer service just makes me frustrated
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:37 PM   #16

Well as luck would have it, I recently purchased a boat from a local RV dealer ( it was a traded in for a 5er) and had to pick up a completed bill of sale today. I went into the service department and inquired about their availability. Long story short, they do FR warranty work (though they are not a dealer) and they can look at the TT early next week.
Not bad..............
RMc
Old 07-06-2017, 07:49 PM   #17

Good find on your repair!

I was talking to Fun Town RV last week, their earliest repair ACCEPTANCE date was August 23!
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:06 PM   #18

My choice for service during the camping season is fix it myself unless it is a major issue and travel to GOSHEN as long as I have a Forest River product and good friends that also own one. I will be a Forest River owner for a long time, unless I hit the lottery.
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:19 PM   #19
Steelhorzz

Old story.... New ending

That same has happened to me over the last 5 years.
First, the dealer I bought from went out of business. That made all the other dealers much busier in their service depts. Up until 4 months ago it took a month to get an appt., and then they might have it another 4- 6 weeks. Four months ago they announced "Only if you purchased your unit from them", would they give you a service appt.
Well.... I just found a small independent service shop near me that was the BEST experience I have had in 5 years since I owned my coach!
A- called for an appt and got in 3 days later.
B- called me the second day it was there to let me know what was wrong and they were contacting my extended service provider.
Called me later that day to say it was approved and parts were ordered !!
(Who ever calls you to let you know what's going on with your rig???)
C- called be the 3rd day saying everything was fixed and I could pick it up!! WOW!!
My problems....
Front roof AC did not work- repaired loose wire and cuicuit breaker.
Rear toilet did not flush properly - replaced toilet
Camera system was not working properly with lights on - replaced bad socket.
Totally professional and great work!
And their shop was busy!
If you're in SoCal I'd be happy to give you their contact info. Not sure this is the format to advertise for a repair shop, no matter how good I think they are!
Steelhorzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:33 PM   #20

If you need help with repairs type a question onto YouTube like how to repair dometic awning you will be amazed at all the help you will find
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote