Old 11-01-2007, 06:51 AM   #11
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
so let me the dummy
does the image appear on your laptop or does it jsut help you aim the scope?
i mentioned the stars to my wife and now it seems i better learn fast
inquiry minds have questions.
can i veiw the stars on my laptop
and how heavy is the scope
Sorry I missed this one Robert......

The COL (computer object locator) does not attach to a notebook. It is a device that attaches to the scope base. On the base are some sensors (Hall effect in case you wanted to know what kind) that the COL communicates with. After getting the scope where I want it in the yard I do a "2 star alignment" where I point it at 2 known stars and when I have each star centered in the view finder I enter them into the COL. After the alignment I can use the COL to find (gets me in the ballpark) a plethora of DSOs (deep space objects) as well as planets and other stuff. There are something like 14000 objects in the database.

I purchased this one from a local shop so I spent a bit more. With all the extra goodies it was around $1,300. This is the one I got:

The scope comes in 2 pieces. The base weighs about 26lbs and the OTA (optical tube assembly) weighs about 29lbs.

All Orion brand scopes come with a software program for your PC. Itís pretty neat as it will give you whatís available to see at any given time and any given location. On setup you enter your zip code or if you want to be real accurate you enter your Longitude and Latitude coordinates.

As far as viewing on your notebook what is viewed through the scope there are scopes for that. Mine is not one of them. The price starts to drastically increase with those capabilities. The mounts are different, they are computer controlled tracking, and you need computer interface cameras. If this is something you want to do I would suggest that you contact an astronomy shop that sells that equipment for more info. I donít know what all is involved with it I just know I didnít want to spend the money on it. I wanted large aperture and object location at the lowest price I could get and I think I got it.

I would recommend the place I purchased my scope from to anybody looking to purchase . Good people and not pushy at all and answered all my questions. Like I said I spent a bit more then if I had mail ordered it but these folks assembled it and had a class on the use of it. Canít get that over the phone via tech support.

aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 05:38 PM   #12
thanks greg
now i must do more research
apreciate the info

Living in the Piney Woods of Texas.
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote