Old 03-20-2012, 08:03 PM   #11
Another vote for the ipad. I use it for everything. I have the kindle app and get all kinds of books. A great app is They have offers for free books every day. Since I've gotten the ipad I hardly use my desktop mac. The biggest problem is keeping the DW from snagging it.

2007 Surveyor SV291
Equil-I-zer hitch
2005 Durango Hemi
gregm59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #12
4X for the iPad.

2012 Ford F350 Super Duty 4x4
ProPride 3P
2013 Windjammer 3006WK
1973 Camaro RS, LS6/475hp, 6spd
skullskidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #13
DW and I both have Kindle Fire's and a Verizon MiFi. She can surf the net while I drive, to find us a campground. We can play games, read books, surf the net... they are great little devices for less than half the cost of an iPad.
2011 Ram Truck 2500, Crew Cab, 6.7L CTD, 4X4, 3.73 Rear
PapaSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:14 PM   #14
I have the kindle fire and I love it! I totally recommend that. It does so much and for a price of $200, you can beat it.
2013 Rockwood Roo 25RS
KKapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #15
I have the color Nook and it's great. I can get on the web, check my mail, check in hereMy wife has the iPad2 and loves it. It's hard to beat the iPads.

2011 Prime Time Tracer 3000BHS
2007 Ford Expedition
Reese Dual Cam HP Hitch
Nights Camped 2015-5 in TT
DF5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #16
I have the Kindle 3G with WiFi--It is great for beach/bright sun reading. I also have a leather book cover for it that includes a reading light, which makes it ideal for bedtime reading. I purchased it in 2010, and for the first year only downloaded free books from Amazon. I have since started purchasing books, many for 99 cents. Last summer I had major surgery--the kindle was great for use at night without disturbing other patients in the room. Nurses would come in to check my many tubes/lines or hang antibiotics throughout the night--I kept my Kindle under my pillow, would read for 20 minutes or so, and then again fall back to sleep. It was extremely handy, and yes, holds a charge for at least a week, even with the book light. I travel with a laptop to complete computer things like emails, bills, work related issues--but I love my Kindle for relaxing, indoors or out!
Sugarph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:41 PM   #17
Like Triguy, I also have a Series II Kindle. All it can do is display books to read but that's what I bought it for. My biggest disappointment is the cost of the books from Amazon.

I was expecting an iTunes level of pricing. I'm a one-time reader and it's almost unheard of that I go back and read a book a second time. That's why I have been a "frequent flier" at our community library. I'm typically interested in whodunits, espionage tales and some biography.

I have bought a few books from Amazon, mostly in the $8 to $25 range, but only when people give me Kindle gift cards. Initially, I got most of my books from either Project Gutenberg or Manybooks, but they had very little published after the turn of the 20th century.

On a recent visit, S-I-L found a source of much more modern stuff and got me about 1200 titles. Since he's an inveterate hacker, I didn't ask what the sources were, but I'm sure enjoying the books.

I don't miss having color - most of what I usually read is printed - and the ability to take 1200 books on a trip that only weigh 12 ounces or so is priceless.

I don't usually keep the wifi on, since my Kindle library source is my desktop PC. Battery life is much better that way. If needed, I can dump enough files onto DW's netbook for a trip, from which I can download like I do from my desktop.
Frank and Eileen
No longer RVers or FR owners
F and E Damp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:45 PM   #18
Wife bought me the Kindle Fire. Slightly smaller than the Ipad,can't do quite as much with it as the Ipad and it is cheaper than the Ipad but if all you want to do is read books on it, you may find it a nice alternative------to the Ipad!!!

Steve & Sue
2011 Crusader 320RLT
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 (CTD) DRW 4x4
RattVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:53 AM   #19
I have a Kindle Gen 2 with Wifi and 3G. If you are a big reader you need to stay away from the Ipad and Kindle Fire. Both will need to be recharged in short time. My Kindle last me about a month to a month and half between charges and I read about 4-6 hours a day at least 4 times a week. I only turn on the wifi if I am downloading, it eats your battery time. A Fire only has about 7 hours of reading time according to the web site and I bet the Ipad is even worse. So if you take a day to read you may have to charge in the middle of reading.

Yes they are perfect if you are using it for checking email, surfing the web, downloading movies, but they use major battery time to do this. If what you want is to use this for reading go the standard Kindle. They do have a few games apps for the Kindle too. If you don’t have wifi were you are going just download the books before going camping. I have right now over 250 books on my Kindle, I never download while camping, no need. Also if you are a prime member at Amazon, you get to “borrow” quite a few books. You also get free 2 day shipping from Amazon, and are able watch movies like on Netflix.

Whichever you pick make sure it meets the needs you are using it for. For me it’s my Kindle, if I want to do the rest I have a laptop for that.
Renee, Wayne, and Diane (14)
2012 Rockwood Roo 23SS, Dodge Ram 1500
2 kids, 1 Grandson, 1 fur baby named Hope
Lifetimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #20
We have 2 of the big screen WIFI Kindles and an IPAD and use them all the time. They are each better at some things than the other.

I would never dream of curling up in bed with my IPAD to read. It's bulky and kinda hard to hold on its side and much harder to one hand page turn(with the right type of holder you can free stand the kindle on its side with the cover partly open and not even have to hold it when reading in bed). The screen is also harder to read if your on the beach in bright sunlight. The battery will last for a week plus. So as a straight text book reader I'm going with my Kindle every time.

The IPAD is excellent for playing games, is a surprisingly decent web browser and is good for reading color books with maps and pictures(think travel guide). We do almost all our general browsing and email checking on the IPAD.

So I guess it boils down to what you really want to use it for the most. We use all three pretty much every day and really love them. We only break out the laptop and PC for hard core gaming and anything requireing lots of data entry.

SinkorSwim is offline   Reply With Quote