Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2012, 08:26 AM   #21

You should buy your hubby one too!!
Old 03-21-2012, 08:32 AM   #22

My wife has both the Kindle with 3G and the new Kindle Fire and she loves both. When we’re on the road she takes the Kindle Fire for the Wifi connectivity. Here at home she prefers to use the 3G Kindle for reading books and she loves the non-glare screen of the 3G model plus the fact that she can download books directly to the Kindle without needing a computer.

She is constantly checking the titles of the free books available at Amazon. I like the fact that I can buy her an Amazon gift card at Target that she can load onto her Kindle account to buy books. That way she’s not using our credit card number to buy books.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #23

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmswms View Post
I have the kindle 3g with free wifi and I love it. If you join your local library you can download books at no charge as you go down the road. Which makes it even nicer. Of course you need to make sure you have WIFI where you camp.There are also tons free books and .99 specials on amazon.
I also have the 3 g and wifi model and just love it, you can change the type size, have it read the book to you, access the web and I also have sites for free books IE: pixelofink.com and ereader.com.

We bought 2 kindles for Christmas for our girls and they love them.
2011 Greywolf 26rl
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #24

I have a B&W nook (the new version) and love it. I chose it over a kindle because, at the time, the nook-overdrive interface was better than the kindle interface (Overdrive is what most libraries use to get the books to your deivice). Then Kindle got an even better interface, so if I were chosing again today, I would go with the Kindle. Also, if you are an amazon prime member, you can borrow books for free, but I am not sure what that selection is like.

I decided not to go with a color version or an Ipad, because I want it to just be a book with no distractions. Also, the B&W screen and small size is better for reading for extended times.

If you do go with a B&W kindle, pay the extra few bucks and get a touch screen.

BTW, I love it. And, my 82 year old mother just got a nook, and now can read again for the first time in 20 years. She is thrilled!
Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #25

No one has mentioned the Sony e-reader or tablet. The sony was the first e-reader that allowed you to download free library books, and the new one is even better than the old one - you don't have to side-load public library books like you used to, or like you still have to with the Nook. We love the Sony ereaders and now have the tablet and love it, too; ergonomically more comfortable than the ipad. All very readable in the sun or anywhere. Would not travel without them. Plus, you are not locked in to any certain distributer when purchasing ebooks.

Don and Laura + Roo
Chesapeake, VA
VAlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #26
Anacortesians

We have an ASUS netbook that we use in the RV. Neither DW nor I like looking down at a touch screen on our laps. The only disadvantage with the netbook is that it doesn't have a built-in DVD/CD drive. We've lived with it so far, but I'm thinking I'll replace my elderly eMachines desktop with an upper-level lap-top, so we can both have our computers on the road.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #27

New to the forum. Sorry if I'm at the wrong place for the question. Just bought a Cardinal 39' 5er. Headed to Camping on the Gulf in May. Any parking hints besides "swing wide"? Assume you hang close to the side opposite our camping spot and then cut it in?
Sg6923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #28

I have a Kindle Fire and I really enjoy it. You can read, access the web and play games. Lots of free apps to choose from. You can also change the size of the font if need be. I have also read a few of the free books from Amazon, there are lots of choices.
maconandk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:52 AM   #29

ipad. Can't be beat.
aharris562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:14 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

I just got the new iPad and am on the Forest Rivers Forum app as I type this.

Anyway about the iPad as a reader. I downloaded a free book through iBooks last night. It's a capable reader - easy to make purchases, adjust background and text color. I think it will work well, especially at night. My Gen 2 Kindle has to have a light on to see it, which can upset my DW as she tries to sleep.

However, the iPad is heavy - too heavy for holding while reading for very long. Need to prop it up somehow.

Also, the Kindle reader app on the iPad does not allow you to actually purchase books, which is a hassle if you use Amazon Kindle for most of your ebooks. Can't even buy through the Amazon marketplace app so I will probably have to buy through a browser.

In summary, the iPad will work best as a reader for someone who has a book holder to prop it up and intends to use the iBooks feature.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:27 AM   #31

iPad---to big to read in bed and hold onto. The wife and I have the Kindle Keyboard. Room for about 2,000 books. No need to purchase books. Just subscribe to eReaderIQ.com (--free--) every day they will send you a list of 25 books that are free from Amazon for the day. You have to get the book within 24 hours, usually, as the price goes back on in a day or two.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:01 AM   #32

Forgot to mention. If you end up going with a Kindle, or mulitple devices, I highly recommend calibre - E-book management as your library manager. We do all of our book buying/borrowing from our laptop and store them all in Calibre on the laptop. The app takes care of doing any reformatting required to push the docs to specific devices automatically (ie when I download a book to one of our Kindles it auto-converts to the Kindle proprietary format). The app also lets me sort my books into categories, do searches, and mark which books in the library either I or my wife have already read. With over 3K books in our library all these features are really nice to have.
SinkorSwim is offline   Reply With Quote