Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2015, 09:42 PM   #1

Auto sliding 5th wheel hitch

I am looking to switch to a auto sliding hitch. I have an F250 with a 6'6" bed and I currently have a manual sliding hitch. I live on a one lane street and my driveway is only one lane wide so I have to use my slider every single time I leave and return home. I have never had a single issue and it slides perfect just by manually activating the trailer brakes. My concern is I just upgraded 5 wheels and I'm going from 1400 lbs to 1900 lbs at the hitch. I worried the new camper will not slide as easy without dropping the landing gear and the fact I'm just getting sick of manually moving the hitch.

I'm leaning towards the pullrite 20k super glide but wanted to hear your opinions. Anyone have an auto slider and pros and cons is greatly appreciated.

I found several threads on here about manual sliders but nothing on the autos.

P.s. New to forest river and new to the forum. Seems like a pretty good group of folks on here and I've seen pretty solid advice and responses. Looking forward to years of getting to know people.
Maxhise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:49 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Welcome to the forum. I have a pullrite and can't think of one con. I hook up and forget it's there. I have maneuvered in some very tight campsites and it has worked flawlessly on my 2011 Ram 2500 short bed.
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:05 PM   #3

Do you have a newer fiver with the rounded front? my old one is flat and I can't get 40 degrees without it hitting. I can actually hit my back window in drive if I turned the wheels all the way (haven't done it but tested it in a parking lot just to see) New one is rounded front but I have not picked it up yet. Not sure how much of a difference it makes. I know the hitch is 5" farther forward in a ford than a dodge. I can't even hook up with the tailgate down. I have get under the pin box and then close the gate.

Glad to hear good things on the pullrite. Have you got it to full 90 degrees.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:13 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

My 5er is a 2013 with a rounded front. However, it doesn't have some of the front designs I have seen that look like cut outs so that the nose cap misses the cab. I have had it a 90 degrees and the cap was no where near my back window. I actually got to 90 degrees while trying to navigate into a very tight spot with many trees. People gathered around to tell me they didn't think I could make it. Made it on the first attempt.
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:31 PM   #5

I have a pull-rite slider (retro used bed rails from Reese already installed) on a short bed Dodge. I can do a 100 degree turn for those tight places. The only con would be : pin needs to be close to the level of the plate because of the release catch in the hitch. once it is triggered it basically latches itself. (It wraps around pin).
FYI you may consider a extender hitch pin.
jkaspar20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:53 PM   #6

i Have the pullrite on my 2012 Chevy Ext cab with short bed and I have not had any issues. I've had our Columbus 320RS in about every direction and it works great.

2015 Columbus 320RS
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD
paluka44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:01 AM   #7
Camper Less Camping

You will not regret or go wrong with a Pullrite Hitch setup...period!

Old 01-29-2015, 07:30 AM   #8

Thanks, sounds like the pullrite is the way to go. I have seen some videos of fails on just about every model out there but the pullrite seems to have to least amount. Only real issue I've seen with it is it looks like it slid back in a turn and then didn't return when straightening up and the pin box smashed the tailgate. That wouldn't happen in my truck so if that is the worst possible major failure, I can live with that.

Thanks for the updates.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxhise View Post
Thanks, sounds like the pullrite is the way to go. I have seen some videos of fails on just about every model out there but the pullrite seems to have to least amount. Only real issue I've seen with it is it looks like it slid back in a turn and then didn't return when straightening up and the pin box smashed the tailgate. That wouldn't happen in my truck so if that is the worst possible major failure, I can live with that.

Thanks for the updates.
Welcome to FRF. I have the Pullrite Superglide that mounts to the Industry Standard Rails and absolutely love it. We camp with our friends and watching him get out in the rain to slide his hitch was the deciding factor for us to get the Pullrite. We also have a rounded front cap and were told not to worry about getting a slider, but I would rather have and not need it than the other way around.

2015 Sierra 32QBBS-23 nights camped since the end of June 2014
2015-sorry to say only 11 nights so far, more to come though
Shinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:44 AM   #10

I have standard rails too and I know for a fact that I can not get very much angle out of mine without the slide. I too have been in the rain moving my slider and the worst one was pulling into a campground and I had a line of people behind me so I was rushing it a little bit. I slid a little to fast and it made a pretty loud 'bang' when it hit the back of the slide. You could see heads poke out around the RVs all the way down the road because I'm sure it sounded like a crash.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxhise View Post
I have standard rails too and I know for a fact that I can not get very much angle out of mine without the slide. I too have been in the rain moving my slider and the worst one was pulling into a campground and I had a line of people behind me so I was rushing it a little bit. I slid a little to fast and it made a pretty loud 'bang' when it hit the back of the slide. You could see heads poke out around the RVs all the way down the road because I'm sure it sounded like a crash.
It happens.
I forgot to add that the same friend forgot to slide his hitch one day and now has a dent in the back of his cab to remind him slide it.
We were pulling into a tight site one night and he yelled at me to slide my hitch while I was backing in (it was our first trip with the new 5'er and Pullrite). I just waved at him and he said "you'll be sorry". Then he saw the hitch and flipped me the bird.

2015 Sierra 32QBBS-23 nights camped since the end of June 2014
2015-sorry to say only 11 nights so far, more to come though
Shinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:08 AM   #12

Superglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
You will not regret or go wrong with a Pullrite Hitch setup...period!

Ditto:

Have had my 16K SuperGlide for 12 years now. 12 years of peace of mind when turning "PRICELESS"

C.B.
cbvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:32 PM   #13
ttg

I've got the same f250 as you and the Pullrite Superglide hitch. My wife says that I am tighter than 90 degrees while putting the trailer in its place at home. Works extremely well.
ttg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:26 PM   #14

Love these good reviews on the Pullrite super slide. We had to change out our Reese Revolution with the new, much heavier, Wildcat. Glad we went with the Pullrite.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:41 PM   #15

I have used a 16k pull rite with my 2004 all American sport with no problems. Mine is installed with frame mounts and with the hitch removed the floor is flat. My only problem is the hitch is too heavy so I use an engine hoist to remove it.
SDPARP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:27 PM   #16

We have the Pull-Rite in our F250, short bed pulling a Wildcat 295RSX. Never had any difficulty with it. Got it into a very tight spot in Yellowstone at Fishing Bridge. It wasn't pretty to watch but the hitch worked as advertised.
Green Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:31 PM   #17

Pullrite Hitch

Hi
Welcome to Forest River Forums. you will like the Pullrite. I have a 2014 Ram 3500 DRW short bed my first short bed and Pullrite I have the.
Pullrite Superglide 18k Slider 5th Fifth Wheel Hitch ISR Series 2900 which I think would be more that big enough for what you have to haul. and depending on your setup what bed rails you would need. For Ram with ordered kit the rails are OE Series Ram Industry Standard Adapter 4439. Also as others have said about the trailer my Sierra it has a king pin that goes out about 2 foot in front of the camper nose. To me the only con is you must do daily lubing of the 5th wheel plate when you are pulling that is with just WD40 for that and a good grease for a bolt all in the care for instructions and a cover to help prevent rust.
Check all online and in store prices then go to this person and see what price he will give you shipping included I got a good buy from him shipping was fantastic. info@radauto.com email. His name is Tory Angiulli email him and he will also give you a ph number to call and ask any questions. Tell him tony209698 from ebay gave you his info wont get you any better price, it will tell him who referred you. And it is heavy about 225 lbs
Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:49 PM   #18

Hey Green Drake,
Sounds as if we have the same setup. How do you like the 295RSX? We just placed an order for one.
Tom

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:04 AM   #19

Welcome to FRF. I think you've had enough positive comments to make an informed decision but I just wanted to add mine. I had a 33ft cedar creek that I pulled with my short bed F250. I had a 15K Superglide. Loved it. That is the only way to go. Good luck!
Single Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:08 AM   #20

I have the Pullrite Superglide on my Dodge Mega with a 2006 FR Sierra Sport at 90 degrees is no problem the only con is, if it is tight going forward you may not be able to get back into what you came out of. I know I will get the naysayers but they are wrong. These are the only way to go I love it.
jim-bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, hitch, wheel