Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2016, 07:33 PM   #1

Automatic Leveling Question

Hi,

We have a new 2016 Cedar Creek 34RE fifth wheel with auto-leveling and camped this weekend with it for the first time. The auto-leveling worked great however, we thought it would be more stable. It seemed to move a bit inside when walking around.

Should we auto-level it again if this happens in the future?
Thanks!
sandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:41 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to DannyFaye Send a message via MSN to DannyFaye
wheel chocks

Try using the device between the wheels called chock tire locking chock helps a whole lot available at CampingWorld
DannyFaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:34 PM   #3

I am going to chime in for the steady fast system. Add this to your fifth wheel and you will be amazed. We tried the king pin stabilizer but have since gotten rid of it after getting steady fast. They are quick and easy to engage I can't say enough good things about them.

2014 Crusader 351 REQ Touring Edition (the Cottage)
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD SLT (Allison B)
Nights in the Cottage: 2014: 27, 2015: 80 2016: 47,[B]2017:41
2018: Jan= 2, Feb=2, Mar=3, Apr=2, May=7, June=5, July=15, Aug=1,Sept=2,
Running Total:232
Rigpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:18 PM   #4

Assuming that you have the 6 point hydraulic levelup system. If so, I dont think you can use the steady fast or anything like it. What I found was that if I used blocks so that the hydraulic cylinders did ot extend far, the rv was more stable. I know thats kind of a bummer, but it sure helped.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidg View Post
Assuming that you have the 6 point hydraulic levelup system. If so, I dont think you can use the steady fast or anything like it. What I found was that if I used blocks so that the hydraulic cylinders did ot extend far, the rv was more stable. I know thats kind of a bummer, but it sure helped.
X2. We have used several stabilizing systems over the years and none of them work all the time. Sometimes we set up and are perfectly stable with just the level up jacks, the next time we are very unstable and have to deploy one or more stabilizing devices. If I ever figure out what what the difference is I'll die happy😃
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:51 AM   #6

Quote:
I agree the longer the stoke is set for level the more wobble, shorter the stroke less wobble. Front rams can extend 27" and the rear 17" so you want to shorten that, I think most of it comes from the front when I don't block them so I'm not using the whole ram....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Check out the website, Welcome to Steady fast , it looks to me like it will work with 6 point systems. I don't know exactly what you have, but it is worth investigating.

2014 Crusader 351 REQ Touring Edition (the Cottage)
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD SLT (Allison B)
Nights in the Cottage: 2014: 27, 2015: 80 2016: 47,[B]2017:41
2018: Jan= 2, Feb=2, Mar=3, Apr=2, May=7, June=5, July=15, Aug=1,Sept=2,
Running Total:232
Rigpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:30 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigpdx View Post
Check out the website, Welcome to Steady fast , it looks to me like it will work with 6 point systems. I don't know exactly what you have, but it is worth investigating.
It's not that they won't work, it's been noted by Lippert not to use devices like these on hydraulic systems. Something about not allowing the cylinder to spin freely. I don't get it, but it was in their literature. Maybe they have since come out and allow it now. I know for a fact though, that Lippert installed a hyrdraulic level up system with JT Strongarms on it in Goshen, that was in 2013.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:52 PM   #9

We have the 6 point and use the X Chocks as well. Does a very nice job. Much more stable than our old trailer.
2016 Ford F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke DRW 4X4
2016 Brookstone 395RL
dwayneb236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Doesn't Lippert themselves sell JT Strongarms??

How can they make such a claim.

Here is a direct reply/email I got from owner of SteadyFast system from an inquiry I sent.

Our system works really well on the LCI six point auto leveling system. It will remove 90-95% of the movement which makes the RV feel real solid. Whether you need it or not depends on your sensitivity to the trailer movement. I would recommend you try the trailer and if it moves more than your are comfortable with, we can take care of the movement.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:14 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Lippert even makes the adapter to go on the hydraulic pad for the JT strong arms " which they own"

iVe seen several jt strongarms on the 6 point level up hydraulic system.

My jt's on my mechanical 6 point auto level make it rock solid.

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "14"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:15 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Here's the adapter.

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "14"
Old 07-11-2016, 01:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Doesn't Lippert themselves sell JT Strongarms??

How can they make such a claim.

Here is a direct reply/email I got from owner of SteadyFast system from an inquiry I sent.

Our system works really well on the LCI six point auto leveling system. It will remove 90-95% of the movement which makes the RV feel real solid. Whether you need it or not depends on your sensitivity to the trailer movement. I would recommend you try the trailer and if it moves more than your are comfortable with, we can take care of the movement.
I was told by Lippert that I can not use this system. First of all you either have to weld an eye to the pad or buy pads that have a connection such as the BIG FOOT system has for sale we are not talking apples to apples. The picture that is shown is for an electrical system not HYDRAULIC. The electrical just moves up and down. I had JT ARM STRONG on my old system before lippert installed the new system. They took them off and stated that they would not work with the level up system because it was hydraulic. If it was electrical it would work. I'm not convinced that it would not work but the cost to replace a cylinder I will take there word. I asked if I welded eyes in or bought Big Foot Pads would it work they said no, they wouldn't warranty the system. To be honest I have never really seen the cylinder spin, but it is hard to tell. I spent 3400.00 in Goshen to have it installed at the factory. I love it and would never buy another trailer without it. You just have to figure out what is best for you to stop the movement as has been mentioned in these post. Height is the biggest problem with the rams. The lower the rams the more stable it becomes, I have had it for two years now and played around with it alot, my DW is very sensitive to movement. So this is what I found to do to stop 90% of it. AS I stated above. A person can do as they please after warrenty but then it is on your dime. (Sometimes I think it the booze and not movement but that is between us the 1000 plus members)

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:44 PM   #14

After all this talk about the steadyfast system I revisited their site and liked what I saw. I originally didn't buy as they really had no solution for the 6 point hydraulic leveler round footpad (too much redneck engineering to get it to work).

Now they have a flat head bolt kit that looks promising. Why they just don't have a replacement elephant foot that has the correct attachments is beyond me. Guess flat head bolts are cheaper.

The argument that the steadyfast won't allow the piston rod to turn in the cylinder makes no sense to me. My footpads turn while the rod is held steady and the rod can also turn in the cylinder. So I don't see how holding the footpad stationary will affect piston rod turning. And none of the piston rods turn on my front end loader cylinders so I'm confused as to why they think that is necessary.

So as soon as I get my allowance I'm ordering the steadyfast and selling all my other devices!

I mainly used the universal stabilizers. The aluminum ones with the ratchet strap. They work on the same principle as steadyfast but can be a pain to get setup. But I bought 3 of them from the original guy before Valterra bought him out and CW tripled the price!! I might be able to make some money!! LOL!! I figure I'll just give my x-chocks to my buddy that always says he's gonna get some and then never does.

Thanks for the discussion on the steadyfast system!!!

Woohoo... another worthwhile project
Old 07-11-2016, 03:01 PM   #15

I have the point hydraulic system, also chicks front and back of tires as suggested for hooking up to and and disconnecting from trailer also use xchocks and a tripod. Takes out 90% of the movement. My landing gear cylinders do turn when even I lower them.

Eastlake, Ohio
2013 F-350 Turbo Diesel
2016 Heritage Glen 368rlbh
Dinostop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:34 PM   #16

I too talked to a Lippert tech about installing the JT's on my 6 point hydraulic level up system. I have worked with hydraulics for better than 30 years and didn't quite buy the concern about not allowing the hydraulic cylinder rods to spin. We have several dozen hydraulic cylinders at work mounted in such a way that the rod cannot rotate with no issue. I ordered the adaptors that Turbs showed a few posts up ... drilled and countersunk fastner holes in the level up round feet and installed a set of JT's like I had on my SOB's. It's been better than a year now with rock solid results and no cylinder issues. Like said in other posts ... the more you reduce the amount of cylinder rod extension, the more stable your unit will be without something like JT's or Steady Fast.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:46 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Automatic Leveling Question

Yes the adapters I show are not weld on, they bolt on to the pad like diesel guy said for the hyd system.
The electric system mounts entirely different.
The cylinders do not need to rotate that's horse crap.

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "14"
Old 07-11-2016, 03:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Yes the adapters I show are not weld on, they bolt on to the pad like diesel guy said for the hyd system.
The electric system mounts entirely different.
The cylinders do not need to rotate that's horse crap.
I know you have the strong arms Turbs, but how do you think they compare to steadyfast? To me the strongarms look a little more sturdy but I like the wing nut tightener system of steadyfast. Any thoughts?
Old 07-11-2016, 04:05 PM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I know you have the strong arms Turbs, but how do you think they compare to steadyfast? To me the strongarms look a little more sturdy but I like the wing nut tightener system of steadyfast. Any thoughts?

I've not seen steady fast up close so I'd hate to comment.

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "14"

Tags
leveling