Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2018, 11:14 AM   #1

Awning

I had my shamrock for a few months now. How do I tilt the awning for rain? What’s the trick? I unscrew the thumb screws thinking I can just push the arms in but it won’t budge. Ugh. Help!!!
Egoklr315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:31 AM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

There’s a number of different brands and styles of awnings.
Can you provide some pictures?
Usually, after you release the thumb screws, you can pull down on the outermost arms of the awning to bring that side down for draining.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:40 AM   #3
Just as confused as you

The awning manufacturer name and model number should be on a sticker on the tube. As mentioned before it depends on the awning. The AE Dometic 9100 is self dumping if you leave both knobs loose or you can pull one end down and tighten that tension knob so the water drains to that side.

Please finish filling in your user profile with the year and model of your Shamrock.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 12:06 PM   #4

I probably have the same electric awning as yours on my Shamrock 183, and yes there are a couple of knobs on the arms that have to be loose before doing so... just pull down on the actual awning roll, near the arm and the arm to the trailer should telescope in toward the trailer, maybe a foot. When it is in, hang onto the arm in the lowered position and turn the knob to tighten in place... loosen again when you plan on retracting the awning.

Leave the awning canted lower on one side (or the other) for heavy rains. Bring both arms in for a light rain, OR windy conditions.

If the awning arm will not telescope, then maybe it is stuck... spray ithe sliding part of the arm with some WD-40 and try to get it loose.

I h ope this helps

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:47 PM   #5

I just bought a 2018 Forest River Flagstaff Super Lite. The electric awning barely touches the door when extended. There should be more space between the door and awning. Does anyone know if the awning can be extended more? I have tried pushing up on the awning and cannot extend it more. Any comments are appreciated.
JP
skparker929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by skparker929 View Post
I just bought a 2018 Forest River Flagstaff Super Lite. The electric awning barely touches the door when extended. There should be more space between the door and awning. Does anyone know if the awning can be extended more? I have tried pushing up on the awning and cannot extend it more. Any comments are appreciated.
JP
Yes Hit "Retract" for 2-3 seconds and the Awning will raise a give the Door clearance you desire! Youroo!!
Old 02-28-2019, 09:44 PM   #7

Be sure and tilt it on the opposite side of where the motor is. Otherwise if you tilt down the motor side of the awning, water damage can cause motor to fail prematurely. Or eventually lock up due to rust and corrosion.
humblegoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning