Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2011, 10:41 PM   #1

Awning Lights?

I like the idea of the ropelighting that can be installed in the groove of the awning but does it need to be removed to roll the awning up? If so are there other options? The orange porch light is pretty much useless to me and the "scare" lights light up both sides which isn't neighborly.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:01 AM   #2

I like to put up lights, but I usually hang them on a rope between trees. That way I don't have to worry if I need to roll the awning up in a hurry. Of course I turn them off at 10pm.
I haven't ever rolled up rope lights in the awning nor have I heard of anyone else doing so. I wouldn't think it would be a good idea to.
I did mount some blue rope lights under the tt. They give out just enough light around the tt where I can see if there is anything I might trip over. I mounted them with zip ties to the gas line that runs the length of the tt. I just plug them in using an extension cord when I get to the campground.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:45 AM   #3

i use the "rope lights" on our awning..but.. dont leave them in the plastic holder..when rolling the awning back up..yeah ..i had one night at 3 am ..i had to get those pulled off ..then roll the awning up..my awning is electric
dretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:05 AM   #4

The awning problem with any lights afixed to the roll bar has been solved. Son in law found a fellow camper with rope lights attached to his camper under the roll and down each side of arms. A plastic track made for the rope lights was installed with double side tape. The lights are out of the way if you need to roll up your awning and also the lights and track are out of the wind while towing trailer. This has been a great fix for the lights everyone who sees loves it. I don't drag out lights and stow them away when packing up. Just hit the switch awning goes out.
Chicken Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Johnson View Post
The awning problem with any lights afixed to the roll bar has been solved. Son in law found a fellow camper with rope lights attached to his camper under the roll and down each side of arms. A plastic track made for the rope lights was installed with double side tape. The lights are out of the way if you need to roll up your awning and also the lights and track are out of the wind while towing trailer. This has been a great fix for the lights everyone who sees loves it. I don't drag out lights and stow them away when packing up. Just hit the switch awning goes out.
Got pics or a web site?
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:20 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

As with anything fixed to the awning tube, if you roll and and unroll enough times. it will eventually stretch the awning material. It won't be long you will be able to see this stretched, place. I'm even careful with my awning strap and make sure it doesn't wind up on itself, making a bulge. Instead I make sure it winds up like a spring, in a coil if you will. Or course, those with electric awnings don't have a strap.

For speed, I have my awning lights zip tied to 5 foot pieces of electrical conduit. I put eye bolts in each end. Then I only need two awning hangers per section, one on each end. I have 3 sections of lights, only 6 hangers, and they are the cloth ones. In an emergency, I have rolled them up, but get the awning back open after the storm.

Pictures are in this album: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...albums491.html
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:34 AM   #7

awning lights

The lights are not attached to the tube. The lights are attached to the camper under the awning and down each side. Going to try and send pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02316.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	9678   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02317.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	9679   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02318.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	9680  
Chicken Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
For speed, I have my awning lights zip tied to 5 foot pieces of electrical conduit. I put eye bolts in each end. Then I only need two awning hangers per section, one on each end. I have 3 sections of lights, only 6 hangers, and they are the cloth ones. In an emergency, I have rolled them up, but get the awning back open after the storm.

Pictures are in this album: Forest River Forums - windrider's Album: Speedy Awning Lights
Great idea
Old 12-28-2011, 12:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Johnson View Post
The lights are not attached to the tube. The lights are attached to the camper under the awning and down each side. Going to try and send pictures.
Got it now, I just couldn't picture how this was done. That's a good idea also. Thanks.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast murray View Post
I like the idea of the ropelighting that can be installed in the groove of the awning but does it need to be removed to roll the awning up? If so are there other options? The orange porch light is pretty much useless to me and the "scare" lights light up both sides which isn't neighborly.
I'm looking for a good solution where the lights can stay also. I'm thinking these LED strip lights will work. They are waterproof, have a 3M double sided tape, are very thin.

brianjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:03 PM   #11
JAYCO Representative

I know I've seen these on a Wildcat! The admin of the WildcatCamperForum.com uses something like this and raves about them...
Wildcat Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjames

I'm looking for a good solution where the lights can stay also. I'm thinking these LED strip lights will work. They are waterproof, have a 3M double sided tape, are very thin.

Hmmm I like those!!,!

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:01 PM   #13

Here's pics of my camper showing the rope lights mounted to the side just under the awning channel of the camper just like tedjohnson. I ran the cord for the rope light down through the inside of the rear channel that is mounted to the side wall so all I have to do is plug in an extension cord from there to a receptacle when setting up and when the awning is closed in the cord and plug are protected by the outer channel that folds in over the wall mounted channel making it ideal for those moments in wind or storms when the awning must come in immediately. The rope light still cast about the same amount of light when the awning is in. the rope light and cord (less the extension cord of course) stay right on the camper during transit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1007111841.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	9993   Click image for larger version

Name:	1007111928.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	9994   Click image for larger version

Name:	1007111932.jpg
Views:	133