Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2007, 05:38 PM   #1

Question Awning Tie Downs - Ideas?

Ok starting to get to some technical stuff here.
What is the easiest thing to use to tie down an awning,
and what does everyone here use? I saw the kit that
is sold at "wally world", Corkscrew looking dog tie outs
with rope. Is that the best way? Or do most of you just
put it up when the weather is bad. Suggestions please.
Thanks.

Nina
Hitched up to a White 1999 F-150 Ext. Cab
Number of days camped in 2014-2
(4 more days reserved)
NINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 05:55 PM   #2

de-flappers always and in mild to moderate wind

put it up when it gets too windy

those things are expensive to replace and a really strong wind can do more damage than to just your awning
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:07 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
I've always used 6 foot elastic bungie cords at the corners - they apply sufficient pressure to hold the awning down and stabilize it, give a little to reduce stress and are simple to use. I'm seasonal so two fence staples hammered into the side of the deck serve as anchoring points, and I wrap the bungee around the drum and hook it to itself so no hard contact of the bungee hook with the awning at all. I try to have about a foot and a half to two feet of stretch for good tension.

I also use a set of deflappers as they help save the awning from stressing and eventually tearing at the ends. But as Greg says, the best insurance is to watch the weather and get that puppy up and secured in advance of strong winds.

Father-in-law uses rope with S hooks (and a short rubber bungee insert) and those dog leash screws, but the ground screws are a pain to mow around and hurt to stumble against.... good for temporary use though.

Other campers I know use those fabric tie-downs and have no problem once they adjust them right, but I prefer the simplicity and give of a bungee.

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 04:04 PM   #4

We just left the Life On Wheels in Bowling Green Ky. They had a presentation on Awnings that was conducted by Russell Maxell, reaxwell@att.net, 602-315-3504. He talked about how to take care of the awnings and different items to keep them in good shape. One was the Awning saver at www.toys4rvs.com to keep the awning from flying away from the RV while going down the hwy in strong winds. He also indicated not to tie down the awnings. Also not to take the agle brace from the awning to the RV and place it flat on the ground. It is stronger when connected to the side of the RV. He also discussed how to maintain vinyl and acrylic fabric. For great information contact Russell.

FWIW
BC
txbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:59 AM   #5

Nina. I have one of the commercial tie downs that you but with the spring ends and the vinal strap. But for years I used a roll of lawn chair webbing which I put grommets on either end and regular tent stakes. I would atach one end to the stake wrap it around the awning arm the throw the roll over the top of the awning on the other side I'd wrap it around the arm and hook to the other stake. I kept it close to the roller and adjusted by sliding the strap either higher or lower on the arm. It worked and was a cheap way out.

Tags
awning