Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2018, 02:47 AM   #1

Back to the Factory?! Anyone done this?

Hi all,
New here but having issues and hoping for some inside/suggestions.

Purchased a new 2017 XLR 29HFS in April 2017. Took it in for last “warranty issues” before our year ran up. The service department pointed out an area of “delamination” that was occurring in the back panel. They assumed it was water intrusion from a vent. FR went around and around with them and us about the repair and finally agreed on a price. The service Dept told us that when they fixed it, there would be a “visible seam” at the site of the repair. We were upset at this, figured they didn’t like the price FR said they were going to pay, so they decided to do a “cheaper” job to “fix” it. Ended up taking it elsewhere for another opinion (FR rep agreed with this idea).

New service department looked at issue and decided they were not sure it was delamination and asked for a few hours to take it apart and see what was up. After going in from the inside, they determined it was actually a factory issue. They took photos and sent them to FR and were told not to fix it, that FR would need to send it back to the factory to make it right.

Just picked up the hauler yesterday. Still no word from FR, even though I’ve reached out to them. Been jacking with this situation all summer long with the hauler spending more time sitting in the various service departments than camping. We are getting ready to come into our “serious” camping season, with trips planned monthly from end of October through May of next year. Starting to feel pretty nervous about the situation and wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar? Wondering what to expect and how long a “factory fix” takes to remedy.

Any help/suggestions/previous experience would be appreciated!
Countrygirl629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:50 AM   #2
Site Team

Almost everyone that I've seen, who's had their RV sent back to the factory, has been extremely happy with the results.
And they usually find that some things have been upgraded for free.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:25 AM   #3

When you finally get to speak to the factory and if you are able to do it I would ask if you can go pick it up yourselves, yes a bit more work on your part but then you would get first hand on how they fixed it and maybe start your fall camping from there. Good luck and pleas keep us informed on how things go.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
When you finally get to speak to the factory and if you are able to do it I would ask if you can go pick it up yourselves, yes a bit more work on your part but then you would get first hand on how they fixed it and maybe start your fall camping from there. Good luck and pleas keep us informed on how things go.
Thanks so much! Hoping that is an option but we are in SW Florida and have two Little’s, so we would have to work it out with school schedules too. I don’t even know how long a factory repair would take, or how long it takes to get scheduled. I am hoping someone will contact us today so we have a better idea. I know hubs would LOVE to see the facility (he is a GC) and I know I would LOVE to see some fall colors lol.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Almost everyone that I've seen, who's had their RV sent back to the factory, has been extremely happy with the results.
Thanks for your reply. I really hope they can just make it look right again. We planned to upgrade the whole rig at some point and know if it is fixed wrong it will hurt us in that area.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:37 AM   #6

FROG Friends of ours had a XLR and could not speak anything bad about the factory, while at the Goshen rallies they always received great support from them but they eventually switched to a new Columbus. We have also received great factory support from both Cedar Creek and River Stone as well. I think you will be very pleased with the results it's just the wait getting it back that stinks.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:46 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

A few years ago we had our Wildcat sent back to the plant. They picked it up at our home in Michigan, replaced both sides from front to back, replaced the faded cap, new stove, new wheel, and new awning. Then returned it to Arizona where we winter. It took 6-7 weeks with very little updates. In the end we were very happy with the work done and they didn't charge us for anything. At the time we were 2 months out of warranty but the did it as a " good will" thing. But it did have major design flaws in the walls.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:55 AM   #8

My next door neighbor at my seasonal site had an interior ceiling leak problem that couldn’t be figured out by a couple of mobile techs authorized to do Forest River warranty work. After the last tech decided it should go to the factory it took only one week from the time of that conclusion for the RV to be picked up. Their RV was repaired and back on their site in less than two weeks. Not only did Forest River repair the problem, which turned out to be condensation between the roof and ceiling, they gave them four slide toppers and replaced flooring where my neighbor had ruined it pulling out the residential refrigerator. They also did numerous other things inside that weren’t part of the original problem. Forest River didn’t even contact anybody to let them know they were giving them slide toppers and doing other things for free — they just did it. To say the least, my neighbors were shocked when they saw everything that was done — even though I had told them previously that Forest River takes care of their customers this way.

Oh, and I was reminded by the post above this one, that Forest River removed their original manual awning and replaced it with a new power awning. And it’s a big one! My neighbor had broken the original awning somehow and it had to be held closed with bungees. It was obviously not a Forest River problem.

Bruce
Old 09-21-2018, 07:49 AM   #9

I think a lot has to do with how you interact with the company reps. I think some are so angry they get all up in their face and demand something. I can understand that, but the opposite usually gets you further. I was at the International Rally, had 2 small cracks at the slide and some waves on the back passenger side wall. I asked one of the techs working near by to look at it. He sent his boss over. Looked at it and we made an appointment at the factory. Went back twice since the realm was easy, took a day, and the cracks took a week. Could not be happier.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:01 AM   #10
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Considering they just picked it up the day before yesterday, I doubt it is even in Indiana from SW Florida yet.

And if it was I might be more angry at the driver for driving that fast with my rig!

Don't keep calling them...

Give them time to get it there and put it in the system.

And give them time to actually get into the repair to see what is up with it!

Keep pestering them and it might just take longer.

Sorry if that is not what you wanted to hear...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:15 AM   #11

Are 100% with this post! ^We have been through Factory Repair, they will make you happy! Youroo! !
Old 09-21-2018, 02:08 PM   #12
Rockwood 2715VS owner

Helps to get a name of an inside contact at the factory.
tlparris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 04:53 PM   #13

Smile Factory repairs

I had a few issues with my Forest River FR3 specifically a shaking problem in the dash and a problem with the automatic steps. After a couple emails and a brief conversation with one of the reps at Forest River. I made an appointment and took it in to the factory up in Elkhart Indiana. It was about a 4 Hour Dr. from Dayton Ohio but it was well worth the trip. The service manager was excellent and the techs were very knowledgeable. They fixed the problems and a couple other small things while they had the unit in their service bay. Excellent customer service.
Gary Heeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:20 AM   #14

FR factory repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Having been on this FRF site for almost a year and an owner of a 2014 Cruise-Lite that I bought a year ago, I have basically been happy with the responses to not only my concerns/questions but many others who have had issues with units like mine. This FRF site is great!

To the contrary, I've seen a good number of posts by unhappy RV'rs over the RV Industry's quality of work and poorly performing dealers who seem to blow off unhappy customers. While these negative posts may be legit, this series of posts, originated by "Countrygirl --" flies in the face of all that negativity and shows that FR Industries is, in fact, a company that will fix and compliment repairs that are sent back to the factory for a fix.

Although I have made some mods to make my DW and me happier, I am very happy with my unit. If I've had any problems, it was because the previous owner failed to do some of the necessary maintenance that must be performed to maintain the integrity and quality of the original product.

I am very pleased to see the positive comments about FR! It restores my faith that perhaps I made a good decision after all.
moshe1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:23 AM   #15
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshe1436 View Post
Having been on this FRF site for almost a year and an owner of a 2014 Cruise-Lite that I bought a year ago, I have basically been happy with the responses to not only my concerns/questions but many others who have had issues with units like mine. This FRF site is great!

To the contrary, I've seen a good number of posts by unhappy RV'rs over the RV Industry's quality of work and poorly performing dealers who seem to blow off unhappy customers. While these negative posts may be legit, this series of posts, originated by "Countrygirl --" flies in the face of all that negativity and shows that FR Industries is, in fact, a company that will fix and compliment repairs that are sent back to the factory for a fix.

Although I have made some mods to make my DW and me happier, I am very happy with my unit. If I've had any problems, it was because the previous owner failed to do some of the necessary maintenance that must be performed to maintain the integrity and quality of the original product.

I am very pleased to see the positive comments about FR! It restores my faith that perhaps I made a good decision after all.
This is also true of other brands and manufacturers as well.

Most of the units they make are good, and some with maybe a few minor issues that can be easily addressed by ourselves or the dealerships.

Or at least can be taken care of very easily if the right procedures are followed.

We rarely read about those...which is the way the real world rolls!

But when somebody gets one that has some serious stuff going on...out comes the rants, and often times...extreme hatred!

And the dedicated Facebook pages...the Tweets...the lawsuit threats...

There are all kinds of RV brand hater pages and websites, usually started by someone who thinks they bought a lemon that wants to start an international class action lawsuit!

And if anyone tries to talk any sense to them, well...don't bother, because you'll become the target for their daily firing squad!

Anyway, I've never had to take an RV back to the factory, but I know several people that have done so.

And all of them reported that they very were happy with the repairs they got there!

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:39 AM   #16

We took our Rockwood to the factory for a repair. They were great. Took it in on time, it was ready on time. Very nice people. Great experience.
stephndudb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshe1436 View Post

But, on the other hand, because you are not the original owner you have no clue whether there were issues or not and if so what hoops the original owner might have had to jump through to get manufacturing defects, if any, corrected by FR or his/her own efforts and expertise. Just saying.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
But, on the other hand, because you are not the original owner you have no clue whether there were issues or not and if so what hoops the original owner might have had to jump through to get manufacturing defects, if any, corrected by FR or his/her own efforts and expertise. Just saying.
Yes, you are correct. The previous owner (who bought it new) said he had the roof seams sealed not because there were leaks, but just as a precautionary step. I believe the dealer did the roof for him. As far as the stuff he didn't do was running gear like brakes, bearing grease, tires etc. I've taken care of those things. I really don't think there were that many "issues" with this unit when it was first purchased. So far, as I said, I'm happy with it, especially with the items I've added and modified.
moshe1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 12:12 PM   #19

I am very fortunate to live close to Middlebury, IN. Had a few minor issues and the Coachmen service dept. took very good care of the problems.
HAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 08:10 PM   #20

The hauler is still in our yard. FR has 7 side replacements ahead of ours. We are looking at going back to the factory sometime after the new year. That is the soonest they can get us in. We are getting an entire new wall. Finally heard back from them after a couple of days and emails. They knew what the issue was but assumed the repair shop told us what was up....unfortunately the repair shop just said “it’s probably going back”.

I wasn’t pestering them at the shop-I just wanted someone to tell me what the idea was. Figured they might call and tell me, as the customers, want their plan was, instead of just leaving it to the repair place to tell me.

In any case, looks like it is a pretty serious issue that will be a while fixing. Just a process, but we will get it taken care of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Considering they just picked it up the day before yesterday, I doubt it is even in Indiana from SW Florida yet.

And if it was I might be more angry at the driver for driving that fast with my rig!

Don't keep calling them...

Give them time to get it there and put it in the system.

And give them time to actually get into the repair to see what is up with it!

Keep pestering them and it might just take longer.

Sorry if that is not what you wanted to hear...

Tags
factory