Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2017, 08:21 PM   #1

Back up Camera Prep?

What exactly is the backup camera prep? The 262RGX I will be purchasing in the next couple of days has this. Just curious because I plan on getting a getting a wireless for it. Is it just a spot to mount it? Can't imagine anything else unless it is for a wired unit. Thanks for any help.
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 08:25 PM   #2
Georgia Rally Coordinator

It is pre wired and most likly has the bracket in place to install a backup camera. At leas that is how my tt came Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 08:36 PM   #3

So then I assume I could get a more reliable wired camera? If so, that would be sweet.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyGTX View Post
So then I assume I could get a more reliable wired camera? If so, that would be sweet.
If you bought a different brand camera than what your trailer was pre-wired for, you could not use the housing provided or possibly the power plug.

My Rockwood came pre-wired for the Furrion brand camera. I opted for the Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL (Observation Camera) from Amazon as it was cheaper than buying the pre-wired version of the camera (without the housing and power wiring)... go figure. So I have spare parts but saved a little cash. The Observation version can be used while driving not just backing up as it has more wireless power and won't lose signal. It's nice to be able to see the traffic behind you and when towing.

https://www.amazon.com/Furrion-FOS48...rvation+camera

This unit works really well. Forest River wired the camera power to the trailer's running lights on my unit so there's no battery drain when not "hitched".

Hope this helps a little.
doulos
Old 04-01-2017, 10:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
If you bought a different brand camera than what your trailer was pre-wired for, you could not use the housing provided or possibly the power plug.

My Rockwood came pre-wired for the Furrion brand camera. I opted for the Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL (Observation Camera) from Amazon as it was cheaper than buying the pre-wired version of the camera (without the housing and power wiring)... go figure. So I have spare parts but saved a little cash. The Observation version can be used while driving not just backing up as it has more wireless power and won't lose signal. It's nice to be able to see the traffic behind you and when towing.

https://www.amazon.com/Furrion-FOS48...rvation+camera

This unit works really well. Forest River wired the camera power to the trailer's running lights on my unit so there's no battery drain when not "hitched".

Hope this helps a little.
doulos
So, does this mean your camera only works if your lights are on? My truck doesn't have daytime running lights if that is what you mean. Thanks for the link!

edit: Never mind, I read some of the questions in the Amazon link, and it looks like you do have to run with your lights on. No big deal.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyGTX View Post
So, does this mean your camera only works if your lights are on? My truck doesn't have daytime running lights if that is what you mean.
I mean the camera gets powered from the trailers running lights. If your trailer is wired the same way, then however you get the trailers running lights to come on then that's how your camera will be powered.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:07 PM   #7

My 2304DS running lights operate when I turn my TV parking lights on. And my Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL (Observation Camera) comes on at the same time. I adjusted the camera lens so it looks back at traffic behind me, but it can also be used for backing up if needed (it has a colored grid that shows objects like any backup camera). I have not determined how close objects are since making the adjustment, but will before I take my rig out for a trip in 2 weeks.

2018 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2304DS, 10K Equal-i-zer Hitch
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4WD 5.7L iForce V8
FROG Member since March 2017
McRabbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 11:15 PM   #8

Thanks guys. I need a good camera because I will have to back it into the cover we had built for our Class C motor home. It is only 12ft wide, so will be a snug fit. It was easy to just drive the MH into it, but this will be a challenge.

Tags
back up camera