Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2010, 04:12 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to scubieman
Back Up Camera travel trailer

Just wondering if anyone has installed a backup camera on a travel trailer. If so what system did you use?(Links Please)

And how did you run the cabling?(If it's not wireless)

scubieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:36 PM   #2

i'm not going to be much help. i tried placing a wireless camera back there and found the distance to be too far. the one i bought was from Sams whosale. it has a wire leading from the camera to an antenna. the receicer mounts in the truck. my next step on it is to try and find a location for the antenna and see what happens. i have a couple of other projects before that.

i'm hoping someone else answers that has had success.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:53 PM   #3

That is why I avoided a wireless camera. I was going to do this anyways and put antenna on air conditior. But the issue is I live in the north. There could but snow, sleet,hail, rain. So many factors to reduce the distance from antenna to receiver. I think I am running hard lines from camera to truck. The issue is right now is the camera I want mounted at top middle of back of camera. But I don't want wires running down the side of my RV since people can pull on them plus it looks bad.

I may run down fridge vent to water pump then from water pump down to water tank then to front of TT. Then it's all hidden and wifey won't complain

Old 12-31-2010, 05:45 PM   #4

I have a backup camera on my TT mounted in the spare tire cover. I can't claim credit for this as I saw it on a RV forum somewhere. My wires are running under the TT to a frame mounted plug on the tongue of the TT. I have a cable from the TT that goes to a plug on the truck. From the truck plug it goes to a A/B switch on the console. Then to the trucks factory nav system. The A/B switch enables me to switch between the camera on the back of the truck to the camera on the back of the TT. I got both cameras on Ebay and the A/B switch is Radio Shack. I have a device called a GM unlocker, whenever I turn on the turn signals the system will switch to whichever camera I have selected. I have terrible depth preception and cannot tell when it is safe to change lanes. With this system if I can see the front of vehicles in the other lane I know it is safe to change lanes. It also makes hooking up the TT a breeze.

Great Wife and Idiot Yorkie
True Friends are like diamonds, precious and rare.
False ones like autumn leaves found everywhere
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:55 PM   #5

Thanks hipshot. Where did you get your GM unlocker.

The Video monitor I got off ebay. It has two video inputs. It auto switches to video 2 if there is video there.

So right on the ebay auction they recommended hooking camera two's power to back up lights. So it turns on when put in reverse then monitor automatically switches to video 2.

Video 1 is the default.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:08 PM   #6

I got the GM unlocker off ebay, it is a little pricey. It has other functions. I can press the window lock button on the truck 4 times and it switches to camera and stayes ther until I press the mute button on the steering wheel 2 times. There are other function it does for the factory nav system like allowing you to input addresses while moving. The main function I wanted was the turn signals switching to camera.

Great Wife and Idiot Yorkie
True Friends are like diamonds, precious and rare.
False ones like autumn leaves found everywhere
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:10 PM   #7

Does not look like ebay has it anymore. plus I don't have navigation system either. I have a cheap 24 dollar china monitor

Old 12-31-2010, 08:07 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to stevo
Hi Scubie
i mounted my camera in centre above the rearwindow(30ft Windjammer).
Ran the cables inside one of the ladder tubes then down to a chassis rail then to the hitch.I connect to the tow vehicle with a plug when hooking up.
Cheers
Old 12-31-2010, 08:09 PM   #9

Thanks for response stevo. I don't have a ladder. I may have to run down fridge vent.

Tags
back up camera