Old 01-07-2019, 01:24 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Note by site team: The following posts have been moved to their own thread so as to not further hijack the thread they were originally posted in

I find it absolutely amazing how many can't seem to back up a trailer by themselves.

I've been doing it since I was eight years old...

I'm 58 1/2 now...never once hit a thing!

Of course, now I'm all worried about my neighbors at the storage lot!

I've tucked it in this tight spot twice since I moved here all by my lonesome...
I park next to house on carport side. Try to keep it at 4" to 6". Sorry about pic but can't seem to rotate it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1661.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	194149  

'15 (6) : '16 (32) : '17 (41) : '18 (35)
Sebourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:44 PM   #22

backing into a tight spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Note by site team: The following posts have been moved to their own thread so as to not further hijack the thread they were originally posted in

I find it absolutely amazing how many can't seem to back up a trailer by themselves.

I've been doing it since I was eight years old...

I'm 58 1/2 now...never once hit a thing!

Of course, now I'm all worried about my neighbors at the storage lot!

I've tucked it in this tight spot twice since I moved here all by my lonesome...
Like so many things in life, 'the first ten thousand times are the hardest, after that no problem'. :-)

RVPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:45 PM   #23

The only good thing the Army taught me was backing a tractor and trailer. They took a bunch of us to an open field with lots of pine trees and let us practice backing up and maneuvering a heavy, steel coal trailer. The instructors took off for coffee and came back about an hour later. Wasn't much bark left on most of the trees, but we had a good time and learned a lot about backing.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:17 PM   #24

Backing in to tight spots (pics)

If you are not very good backing a camper then try this. When you start to back up place your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel. Do not try to back up by putting your hand at the top of the steering wheel, wait until you get good at backing in before that. Just remember to place your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel. Try that and see if it doesnít make a difference.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:28 PM   #25
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
If you are not very good backing a camper then try this. When you start to back up place your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel. Do not try to back up by putting your hand at the top of the steering wheel, wait until you get good at backing in before that. Just remember to place your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel. Try that and see if it doesnít make a difference.
This is how I was told and still do this quite often.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:01 PM   #26

John D - you're just a bada$$

We are not worthy!!!!

Tightest spot I had to back into was when I was 20 years old (about 38 years ago), I worked for Pepsi and I was responsible for setting up booths for the Pepsi Challenge. Our booth was a small, probably 10 or 12 foot trailer, single axle.

I had to back the trailer up on the sidewalk, and then back it around the corner of a building.. Staying on the side walk. Pretty proud of the fact I did it pretty quickly... at least that's how I remember it, and there's probably no one left alive that can dispute my recollection of the facts.

Mike
Old 01-07-2019, 08:19 PM   #27
D W

This discussion reminds me of the ol' Red Simpson song....

"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:33 PM   #28
Now a "Top Member"

My wife used to cringe and nearly pass out when I backed into my driveway. It doesn't look bad, but when you have a narrow road, and 5' deep drainage ditches, along with a 22' truck and 30' worth of 5th wheel, it becomes quite a challenge. I have since widened the driveway (and actually park on the other side of my property, also with a widened driveway). But it was fun...NOT!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0507 (Medium).jpeg
Views:	169
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	194182
2019 Ford F-250 XLT - Still too new

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:47 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
My wife used to cringe and nearly pass out when I backed into my driveway. It doesn't look bad, but when you have a narrow road, and 5' deep drainage ditches, along with a 22' truck and 30' worth of 5th wheel, it becomes quite a challenge. I have since widened the driveway (and actually park on the other side of my property, also with a widened driveway). But it was fun...NOT!

Attachment 194182
Why wife has come so far as a spotter. At first she had anxiety like crazy but now she is great at it. We have only done this a little over a year but we have it down now like pros. At least we tell our self's that. Lol.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:37 PM   #30

Sometimes it takes a little work to make it fit

First time out camping with my new 5th wheel and new truck I turned to sharp backing up and smashed the back window. With my bumper pull I could back it anywhere just can't get the hang of the 5th wheel pivot point.
Attached Images

DaveandRosecamping is offline   Reply With Quote