Old 06-10-2016, 10:57 PM   #11
You've heard solid advice here from people I readily take help from.
1. I back up all the time with my bars on. It is just noisy but so?
2. The longer the trailer the easier it is to back. I didn't believe it until I experienced it for myself.
3. Go practice first. It helps and builds confidence.
4. Cubs? Really? Go Cards!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Grey Wolf 26RR
2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ 4X4
This is going to be a new adventure. 35 Days camping in 2015!!
ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:17 PM   #12
Good luck it gets easier with practice, we went from 26' to 36' last summer then added a pullrite hitch which has its own learning curve. Slow steady and who cares what others think everyone had to start somewhere no one was born with it.

Bear fans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:52 AM   #13
Just remove anti-way.
Take your time. Don't let yourself be rushed. Our last trip a guy with a pop up was trying to back in fast... wasn't pretty.
Grab the bottom of the wheel, the direction of the bottom of the wheel is the direction the back of the trailer goes.
Watch your trailer wheels, the pivot point. It helps.
2016 Flagstaff 27VRL with overloaded tires from factory
2015 Chevy Silverado
Paul GA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:56 AM   #14
As a kid, my grandparents would take me and my sister camping. 1985 Coleman Columbia pop up towed with 1985 Caprice. I was 9 or 10. My grandmother would make my grandfather let me back it in. Only way to keep the peace lol. That and the owners manual from my father's old Toyota pickup made me a pro lol. Got a compliment last trip how easy I backed in 50' of rig solo lol.
2015 Chevy Silverado
Old 06-11-2016, 07:04 AM   #15
I just bought that exact TT two months ago, and I was a virgin, too, to that size trailer although I have some experience with a 16' boat. You'll be fine. Slow and deliberate are the key. Also have a spotter. The first time I backed into my driveway (90 degrees, mailbox on left, retaining wall on right) I ripped off my sewage pipes and had to spend the entire first weekend repairing those instead of camping. Yesterday I had to pull forward three times and retry, but it's a great feeling when DW radios "you cleared it. " I think it's just part of owning a TT, and is like any activity you undertake: people who don't have one and have never done it won't understand. Those who have know the challenges you're facing and are empathetic.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
gspot01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:05 AM   #16
Originally Posted by joehbus View Post
I'm quite nervous. Not so much about backing it up, my 9 year old son will help me with that, but I'm nervous about looking like a moron doing it!
What do u care about more? What someone thinks who you may never meet again, or not damaging your rig. Take your time and don't worry about it. Give yourself time to think through what you are doing. Hop out just shy of the site and scope out your plan.

Get a pair of two way radios and let your wife be a spotter, and only a spotter. Get to where you can back it without direction and she's just back there as a safety. Keeps your marriage sane.
2015 Chevy Silverado
Old 06-11-2016, 07:09 AM   #17
Ah yes. First time backing the big trailer. I don't worry about what other people think because every one there went through the same thing. I just take my time, have a spotter with a cell phone or walkie talkie and just ease her in. If folks come out of the wood work to help don't sweat it. Actually they understand. Great way to meet people. Good luck. You'll do fine.
Retired Fire Dept Battalion Chief
2016 Ever-Lite 232RBS
2012 F150 FX4 W/Max tow & Ecoboost

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:00 AM   #18
Find me a nice big empty parking lot and go practice and see what needs to be done.

Generally, the longer the wheel base, the less frisky. i.e. its easier to back up a 53 ft trailer than it is a car dolly...
2001 Coachmen Mirada (Ford F53 6.8L V10) - Toad 2001 Civic
It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:51 PM   #19
Best advice anyone gave me... "Learn to laugh at yourself." It's makes embarrassing situations so much easier.
2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L
KDHfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:11 AM   #20
I always get out of my TV and walk the site. Examine the power pole/sewer drain location, and plan on where your slides will need to be. I like to hug the utility side to give me more camp side space. Know your slide length extended out. That helps us in planning for final set up placement. My biggest problem is my DW doesn't communicate well during the process. A good spotter will make you look like a skilled driver! Try to get on the same page with hand signals or terminology. Nobody is perfect. Some camp sites are challenging. There's always someone willing to assist you. They've been there before and know the struggles. So there really is no humility. Relax and enjoy!

JJ77 is offline   Reply With Quote