Old 06-16-2016, 10:10 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBar View Post
When we arrive at camp site, DW walks around camp sites and leaves it up to me to back camper in. We found this is the best way since she can't seem to move where she can see the mirror or get any type of hand signal that me or any other man can understand. Once we are plugged in and A/C is running, she does her thing setting up everything inside the camper. This just works best for us.
Funny!! Sounds like my wife. Or she stands out of view of my mirrors and yells at me from 29' away. After I do get backed in she does take care of setting up the inside while I break out a chair under the awning with an adult beverage or 2.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:25 PM   #32

DW had a little trouble at times. My two biggest complaints... Silence until there is an issue. We fixed that. I wanna hear looks good. Straighten up. Keep coming. Hold on. Stop. Etc. The other issue is hand signals I can't see so the chatter fixes that. One trip I was backing in towards a retaining wall and she was on the drivers side of trailer and not watching the back/depth. Oops. No damage done I go VERY slow. I have a manual trans and it didn't feel right. I got and checked. I said hello the wall honey...it was touching the spare mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 01:43 AM   #33

We are currently in a catch-22 situation coming up.. Camping on July 4th weekend. Taking the trailer out on Friday. Either he can take out there and park it or I can take it out and park it without each others help, separate work schedules. I have pulled it but never backed it up anywhere. He has pulled and backed with my help. This ought to be fun.
Old 06-18-2016, 06:58 AM   #34
"On the road again"

Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
Every time we leave (at least monthly) with our 40' (tip to back of bike rack) 5th wheel, I have to back it down a slightly curving 150-foot, tree-lined driveway and through the gate into our cul-de-sac. The general routine is my wife will get down the driveway with her cell phone...call me on speaker phone in the truck and I begin backing.

Nowadays we pretty well nail it on the first try, but when I was beginning it was a REAL challenge. However, knowing (or at least thinking) nobody was watching made it better.

That was UNTIL one day when a neighbor said "We laugh so hard each time you back that trailer out...we look through our kitchen window and watch you and it's so funny." The husband looked at her with daggers and seemed to be trying to silently say to her "DON'T DO THAT."

He has since died, she has since moved - but after much practice we are now able to laugh about her very candid and honest comments.

Best wishes to you...don't worry about anybody but you and your son (make sure he stays well out of the way). ENJOY CAMPING!!!

Robert & Estha Shiflet
'17 Cardinal 3456RL - '17 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate - DRW w/B&W OEM Companion hitch
Nights Camping 2012 & 2013 & 2014 & 2015 & 2016: 587 ~ Nights Camping 2017: 125
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:53 AM   #35

When the wife and I camp we have worked out a system! She doesn't help unless asked, if I ask, I do exactly as she directs me with no comment (she calls it backtalk) !
Old 06-18-2016, 08:05 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBar View Post
When we arrive at camp site, DW walks around camp sites and leaves it up to me to back camper in. We found this is the best way since she can't seem to move where she can see the mirror or get any type of hand signal that me or any other man can understand. Once we are plugged in and A/C is running, she does her thing setting up everything inside the camper. This just works best for us.
"The Scoop" Works for me!
Old 06-18-2016, 06:25 PM   #37

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1466288697270.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	111497As most of you predicted, this trailer is significantly easier to back up, I had no issues! Thanks for the encouragement!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2016, 06:34 PM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehbus View Post
Attachment 111497As most of you predicted, this trailer is significantly easier to back up, I had no issues! Thanks for the encouragement!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Aww Joe, that is terrible, as it appears you have jackknifed it being the truck is at a ninety degree angle to the trailer.

I'm just messing with you. Looks like you did great. Enjoy your weekend.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:58 PM   #39

This what I tell myself, I'm not ever going to see these people again. We all make mistakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:14 PM   #40
Usually Confused Member

Years and years of backing a 38 foot gooseneck and never had a problem. Different story with this bumper pull. Sometimes when I see folks watching me getting ready to back into a campsite I'm tempted to walk over and try to sell tickets for the entertainment.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote