Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2016, 03:52 PM   #1

Backing Up

Ok, I have no question here, nor the need for advice... Just the need to vent my apprehension. I recently purchased a 261BHXL, almost 30 feet ball to spare tire. I have NEVER towed something this long. I tow an 18 foot open car trailer somewhat often but this is obviously a different animal. I am taking it out for the first time next weekend and the campground has no pull through sites. I'm quite nervous. Not so much about backing it up, my 9 year old son will help me with that, but I'm nervous about looking like a moron doing it! It might take me a long time, then I need to remember all of the steps to setting the thing up! Wish me luck next weekend!
Old 06-10-2016, 04:00 PM   #2

Good Luck!!!!!! Learning to back a longer trailer is not that different just more of it. Practice Practice Practice will be the best for making you comfortable. I have 5 trailers 10 to 36 feet each is just a little different.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:01 PM   #3
Old Camping Squid

Don't sweat it, the longer the trailer the easier it is to backup. Use your mirrors and take your time. I drove semi with a 48 box and a pickup with a 10 utility trailer. Have a great time and don't worry about what someone may think of you...
Happy Camping.
EZgo TXT and ClubCar Precedent golf carts
2009 Forest River Salem 30QBSS
U.S. Navy Veteran
Eagle-751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:07 PM   #4
Site Team

Why don't you get a little practice in, if you have time this weekend. Go to an empty parking lot somewhere (like a mall on Sunday morning or a big church/public school on Saturday) and practice backing in to parking places. Many people get them some orange cones or such, and try to back in between them.

That way, in a parking lot, you aren't nervous, and can easily just pull forward and try it again........as well as stay away from trees, poles, etc.

Practice makes perfect

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:09 PM   #5

I find backing our 42' fiver a lot easier than my 20' flatbed. We took ours to a large parking lot the day we brought it home and practiced backing it up.

Good luck and don't worry about what others think, I guarantee you at least one of them had issues backing in themselves.
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:13 PM   #6

I think I will go practice, thanks. The dealer said that I can not back up with the weight distribution bars hooked up, but I have never had a problem with the car trailer doing that, is there something I'm missing, or is the dealer just being over cautious? I have no sway control mounted yet, I know I can't back up with that on, I'm just talking about the spring bars.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:18 PM   #7

I feel you. I just brought home the new toy. 32-9 long. Got the crash course.. I'm at the end of a narrow cul de sac and had to make a wide left on a cross street, back across, make another wide left to get it pointed the opposite direction, then back about 250 feet down the road to the driveway. I'm loving this back up camera.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:20 PM   #8

What WMTire said. He's pretty smart for a Cubs fan!!!

I've backed trailers all my life. BUT.......I dented my new truck backing a borrowed trailer last Monday. I'm 68. I've backed about 10,000,000 times. Honest. I've counted, I swear.

And I still mess up.

Go practice and welcome to the Fraternity of Scared Backing Brothers (FSBB).

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:20 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehbus View Post
The dealer said that I can not back up with the weight distribution bars hooked up, but I have never had a problem with the car trailer doing that, is there something I'm missing, or is the dealer just being over cautious? I have no sway control mounted yet, I know I can't back up with that on, I'm just talking about the spring bars.
Haven't ever heard that one before, that you cannot back up with the wdh bars connected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
What WMTire said. He's pretty smart for a Cubs fan!!!

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:40 PM   #10

I've backed up for years with our Grey Wolf with WDH connected. I DID take off the sway bars, though. Two separate things.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:57 PM   #11

You've heard solid advice here from people I readily take help from.
1. I back up all the time with my bars on. It is just noisy but so?
2. The longer the trailer the easier it is to back. I didn't believe it until I experienced it for myself.
3. Go practice first. It helps and builds confidence.
4. Cubs? Really? Go Cards!
[emoji12]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:17 PM   #12

Good luck it gets easier with practice, we went from 26' to 36' last summer then added a pullrite hitch which has its own learning curve. Slow steady and who cares what others think everyone had to start somewhere no one was born with it.
Bear fans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:52 AM   #13

Just remove anti-way.
Take your time. Don't let yourself be rushed. Our last trip a guy with a pop up was trying to back in fast... wasn't pretty.
Grab the bottom of the wheel, the direction of the bottom of the wheel is the direction the back of the trailer goes.
Watch your trailer wheels, the pivot point. It helps.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:56 AM   #14

As a kid, my grandparents would take me and my sister camping. 1985 Coleman Columbia pop up towed with 1985 Caprice. I was 9 or 10. My grandmother would make my grandfather let me back it in. Only way to keep the peace lol. That and the owners manual from my father's old Toyota pickup made me a pro lol. Got a compliment last trip how easy I backed in 50' of rig solo lol.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:04 AM   #15

I just bought that exact TT two months ago, and I was a virgin, too, to that size trailer although I have some experience with a 16' boat. You'll be fine. Slow and deliberate are the key. Also have a spotter. The first time I backed into my driveway (90 degrees, mailbox on left, retaining wall on right) I ripped off my sewage pipes and had to spend the entire first weekend repairing those instead of camping. Yesterday I had to pull forward three times and retry, but it's a great feeling when DW radios "you cleared it. " I think it's just part of owning a TT, and is like any activity you undertake: people who don't have one and have never done it won't understand. Those who have know the challenges you're facing and are empathetic.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2016, 07:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehbus View Post
I'm quite nervous. Not so much about backing it up, my 9 year old son will help me with that, but I'm nervous about looking like a moron doing it!
What do u care about more? What someone thinks who you may never meet again, or not damaging your rig. Take your time and don't worry about it. Give yourself time to think through what you are doing. Hop out just shy of the site and scope out your plan.

Get a pair of two way radios and let your wife be a spotter, and only a spotter. Get to where you can back it without direction and she's just back there as a safety. Keeps your marriage sane.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:09 AM   #17

Ah yes. First time backing the big trailer. I don't worry about what other people think because every one there went through the same thing. I just take my time, have a spotter with a cell phone or walkie talkie and just ease her in. If folks come out of the wood work to help don't sweat it. Actually they understand. Great way to meet people. Good luck. You'll do fine.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:00 AM   #18

Find me a nice big empty parking lot and go practice and see what needs to be done.

Generally, the longer the wheel base, the less frisky. i.e. its easier to back up a 53 ft trailer than it is a car dolly...
Old 06-11-2016, 12:51 PM   #19

Best advice anyone gave me... "Learn to laugh at yourself." It's makes embarrassing situations so much easier.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:11 AM   #20

I always get out of my TV and walk the site. Examine the power pole/sewer drain location, and plan on where your slides will need to be. I like to hug the utility side to give me more camp side space. Know your slide length extended out. That helps us in planning for final set up placement. My biggest problem is my DW doesn't communicate well during the process. A good spotter will make you look like a skilled driver! Try to get on the same page with hand signals or terminology. Nobody is perfect. Some camp sites are challenging. There's always someone willing to assist you. They've been there before and know the struggles. So there really is no humility. Relax and enjoy!
JJ77 is offline   Reply With Quote