Old 12-03-2017, 02:09 PM   #1

Backup camera dilemma

I upgraded my rv this past winter from a forest river wildwood 28 dbud to a 2017 wildwood 27 reis travel trailer. 2017 has better floor plan. The wildwoods are backup camera ready. The mount and wiring are already in place. After alot of research i discovered that a furrion fos48ta-bl would be a proper fit. I ordered one from amazon for $359.95. (Walmert.com has same one for $289.95) i found this out after mine was already shipped. (Who knew). Anyway it arrived i pulled the mounting plate off the trailer and tried to install. The female plug wired into the trailer that the camera plugs into was a smaller diameter than the 3/32nd plug on the camera. Even radio shack did not have a step down adapter that small. So after much consideration about whether to ďmcgiverĒ it to work i decided it was just to much trouble. Iím sending it back. So i found out from much research that forest river wires some for furrion and some for another brand. Donít know why but thats what happens. So if anyone is considering buying one of these rigs and the salesman tells you look itís already set up for a backup camera take that with a grain of salt. You have a fifty fifty chance of it being right. Good luck and safe travels.

Old 12-03-2017, 03:18 PM   #2

In the paperwork included with my 2018 21FBRS, there was information about the two Furrion systems that my trailer was pre-wired for. I got the Observation camera, connected the wire, mounted it, and paired it with the monitor. No issues.

I presume your packet of manuals didnít include one for your pre-wired mount?

Good luck finding which one goes on your rig. Let us know what it is.

Current: 2018 Flagstaff MicroLite 21FBRS
Past: 2005 Flagstaff 625D
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost
marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 03:52 PM   #3

Marinerjoe

I never noticed anything in my owner packet about the camera. You have peaked my interest so i will check it out. Getting ready to head south for the winter. Been beautiful up here in michigan. Of course the day we are leaving itís supposed to be 19 degrees and snow.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:12 PM   #4

Wanderer, I may be off topic a bit but we got the Furrion camera with our trailer and it isn't quite as what we had in the past. I bought this one https://nuvending.com/collections/fe...outdoor-camera , I haven't used it on the trailer as a back up camera yet but it connects to a cellphone or tablet using it's own wifi and I tried it out from 150' through a 2 layer metal clad building with miles of wiring inside the walls and the connection and picture quality is rock solid and there is no need for an additional monitor taking up space on the dash. The battery is supposed to last 6 - 7 hours and can be charged on USB.

Just a thought
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:19 PM   #5

Cypressloser

Thankyou very much sounds interesting. I will definitly check it out
Old 12-04-2017, 09:36 AM   #6

We have 370RDOK 2014, ours has the huge picture window in the back. I was think of using my GoPro and just plugging it in on the inside and using the GoPro app on my iPad. Someone canít steel it and itís out of the weather that way.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff6146 View Post
We have 370RDOK 2014, ours has the huge picture window in the back. I was think of using my GoPro and just plugging it in on the inside and using the GoPro app on my iPad. Someone canít steel it and itís out of the weather that way.
Interesting... I too have a large back window. Let me know how this works out for you, I'd appreciate it.

Safe and happy travels.
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief T View Post
Interesting... I too have a large back window. Let me know how this works out for you, I'd appreciate it.

Safe and happy travels.

Absolutely, Iíll definitely post on my tryouts. Although I am going to school and wonít be moving again until middle of March.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:52 PM   #9

Jeff6146

How do you plan to mount the go pro in the rear window? My trailer also has the large picture window. I really donít have room for an ipad up front as i already have a 7Ē gps and a tpms monitor.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:05 PM   #10

Still need to do some more research, but looking at their website there is a suction cup mount for the camera. Looks like can use Bluetooth to connect phone using their app or even a WiFi connection unique between camera and phone. From what I read, the app will give a live stream with a bit of delay but the image will not be mirrored.

Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote