Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2018, 10:18 AM   #1

Backup/Observation Cameras

Looking for recommendations on wireless backup/observation systems. Besides pros and cons of various systems, does anyone have experience with the "Rear View Safety" brand? I'm looking at them and Furrion because their model RVS-155W comes with a Furrion adapter and my new Sierra 5ver came Furrion ready. I'm not leaping to the Furrion FOS48TA-BL just yet because I see too many mixed reviews. Comparison shopping at the moment to end with the best reasonably priced system! Please pipe in!
Old 05-23-2018, 11:52 AM   #2

Stay away from "Boyo". Chinese P.O.S. Came with my Voltage. Cheap, cheap, cheap.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by llevesque View Post
Looking for recommendations on wireless backup/observation systems. Besides pros and cons of various systems, does anyone have experience with the "Rear View Safety" brand? I'm looking at them and Furrion because their model RVS-155W comes with a Furrion adapter and my new Sierra 5ver came Furrion ready. I'm not leaping to the Furrion FOS48TA-BL just yet because I see too many mixed reviews. Comparison shopping at the moment to end with the best reasonably priced system! Please pipe in!
I wnet with the Durrion and it was a plug and play pretty much. It works great and every once in a while it will flick on and off but rarely. It makes it great backing up
Hollywoodgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:25 PM   #4

I have the Furrion FOS48TA-BL camera. works fine, no complaints. Picture is not HDTV quality, but plenty good to see what's behind. Best is it was plug and play. 10 minute installation.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:28 PM   #5

Since my trailer was already "plumbed" for the Furion I went with their observation camera. Has worked perfectly from the day I installed it. I use it as a rear view mirror as well as backing up.

Don't need HD pictures and this unit does just great. Not sure why all the "Mixed Reviews" unless people are actually looking for a camera system that does the backing up for them.

My camera is just over 35' from the monitor and I have yet to have an issue with signal strength. As I said, I have the "observation camera". I have heard the Backup only model has signal strength issues although I can't see what the real differences are.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:36 PM   #6
Grammar Pedant

Furrion for me, too. Make sure to get the observation camera and not the backup camera. Just make sure that 48 is in the product code. A 12 in the code indicates backup. Backup has more limited range, lower resolution, and isn't designed for continuous use ... only for backing up. The observation is made to continuous use ... great for seeing behind you as you drive down the road, make lane changes, etc.

There are other brands and I can't speak to them. In extremely limited use, I've been happy with the Furrion.

As mentioned, with the prewire on Rockwoods, the install was 10 minutes.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
In extremely limited use, I've been happy with the Furrion.
My Furion camera was in continuous use for 4,000 miles on my recently completed trip. A month on the road and whenever the truck was hooked to the trailer the camera was running. I just had to wipe the lense off after driving on dirty roads in the rain. Mountains were the worst where they hadn't cleaned the winter sand off the pavement yet.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:59 PM   #8

Another +1 on the Furion Observation. Easy installation and works fine.

No mater what brand you select, spring for the observation model vice the backup model. It's a great rear view mirror.

Good Luck!
Ron
Ron045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Stay away from "Boyo". Chinese P.O.S. Came with my Voltage. Cheap, cheap, cheap.
Rusty

My old Keystone came with one, and I never used it.. My new FR came with the Furrion, and I love it.. whole world of difference.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:41 PM   #10

Question.

Why are dash cams such good quality, and these Observation cameras so poor? My Furrion, I can barely see it.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:21 AM   #11

I installed a Voyager WVOS43 Digital Wireless Observation System. I have only done one trip so far but it worked perfectly and no problems with reception.
Fireguy205 is offline   Reply With Quote