Old 03-10-2014, 06:48 PM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I lock the legs, but they could still get the hitch plate. I may just have to rework the hitch plate pivot pin to accept a padlock. One minor advantage with the tonneau cover, "Out of sight, out of mind" I hope.
Also have a cover.
Hitch plate also has a lockable pin.
Did that when I lubed the pivot pins.

TURBS
Sabre owners united!

Old 03-10-2014, 06:49 PM   #22
Camper Less Camping

Sorry to hear that happen OP....friends & family think I'm crazy for locking almost anything that can be locked...I hate the inconvenience of something stolen almost more than the thing itself being taken!

Old 03-10-2014, 07:01 PM   #23

Wow, sorry to hear that, I always locked the wdh bars and sway with the chains to the camper when camping for long weekends or more, now will do it even for a night. And it helps that I use this lock, hoping that they'll keep walking! Also use another one like it for the surge protector and the power cord.
Attached Images

http://campingbuddys.shutterfly.com/
Camping Buddys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:14 PM   #24
the-the-the- The GRINCH!

Well, looks like I need to find a way to secure my Equal-i-zer bars while towing. Don't need to make a stop somewhere on the way to or fro and have someone disconnect the bars. Once at the CG, I put everything in the storage compartment. Also, guess I'll look ionto securing the propane tanks, too!

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life...
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:28 PM   #25
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Dad told me that locks were invented to keep honest people honest - most thefts are just an opportunity waiting to happen..... A lock will only slow down a determined thief. If you lock everything, you'll rarely find anything missing

Sad it has to be this way
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:31 PM   #26

I am new to camping , still getting my windjammer set up, a hitch lock will definitely go on my list before the season. Around my way, coastal Va, a problem at boat ramps, boaters are coming back in to the ramp only to find someone has stolen their tire off the trailer . They will steal anything even if its bolted down. I can secure my hitch, I guess the sway bars will have to be stored in the tool box. Are most camp grounds pretty secure ? are these just isolated incidents and are there camp grounds you just need to stay away from.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:35 PM   #27
Fulltime family RVer

I believe that it is a fairly isolated incident. We have had forum polls before talking about this sort of thing and the overwhelming responses were- hasn't ever happened to me. It does happen and likely will happen anywhere. I'm not saying anyone is wrong to lock their stuff up or to not. I'm somewhere in the middle with my stuff.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:44 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Firth View Post
I am new to camping , still getting my windjammer set up, a hitch lock will definitely go on my list before the season. Around my way, coastal Va, a problem at boat ramps, boaters are coming back in to the ramp only to find someone has stolen their tire off the trailer . They will steal anything even if its bolted down. I can secure my hitch, I guess the sway bars will have to be stored in the tool box. Are most camp grounds pretty secure ? are these just isolated incidents and are there camp grounds you just need to stay away from.
In our boating days after a trip to the keys, someone stole one of the cruise club trailers. (30' cruiser) And that was when the economy was good!
http://campingbuddys.shutterfly.com/
Camping Buddys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:50 PM   #29
Site Team

Another thing is some delinquent types think it is hilarious to remove the hitch pins on receiver type hitches........and get a big laugh from your hitch pulling out when you take off. Usually your safety chains catch before the hitch pulls all the way out ( it can depend on what the chains attach to), but it still can mess things up.

I doubt this happened in this situation, cause even without a pin, I think my hitch would stay in the receiver just from the weight of it.....as long as I didn't have the trailer attached........but if I bounced enough I guess it could work it's way out.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:57 PM   #30
NELA

wmtire,

Where in hades do you find all those INSANE signature lines?

If you tell me you make them up, I'm thinkin' you need to be room mates with EDNA!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg