Old 03-10-2014, 08:30 PM   #31

I had a customer one day come in and order a new hitch drop, ball and pin. Turns out they were just driving thru town and decided to spend the night. Over night, some had come by and decided that they wanted their uhaul and ALL THEIR POSSESIONS. They just simply unhooked the pin and took the ball mount since the ball was padlocked to the uhaul.

Unfortunately, I asked him that since the trailer was gone, why did he need the ball mount? They realized what I was saying and thanked for my help and left.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:38 PM   #32

I go with the locking pin, just keeping honest people honest...

Old 03-10-2014, 09:11 PM   #33

Wow! I was really amazed at reading this thread. Guess I am just lucky. Never lock anything and have never had anything stolen.
Thinkin' mAybe I better get some locks. I did take the WD hitch off the truck if i was going into town when I had a TT.
Camping nights 2013: 130
Camping nights 2014: 17
Dovetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:13 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
My hitch uses 4 hitch pins to attach it to the bed rails.

One pin is drilled bigger where the clip pin goes for a small padlock.

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
I'm using an Andersen hitch with a B&W gooseneck flip over ball.

You can bet I'll be enlarging some clip holes next week. I've got two pins, one on the gooseneck ball and one on the ball for the adapter. Then I've got to figure out how to lock the flip over ball. Hmmmm.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:20 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Spent two nights near Grandfather Mountain, NC this past weekend. We had our 5th wheel and our daughter had her tow behind. When we started to pack up and leave Sunday afternoon, we discovered that someone had stolen the slide in hitch from the back of her tow vehicle!

Now what? 200 miles from home and no hitch. We ended up going to Advance Auto and purchased a 2" hitch, 2 5/16" ball, and locking pin. No other choice. She had a slow, careful ride home with no load equalizing hitch or sway bar. Fortunately she has a big, heavy, tow vehicle.

Some low life person out there somewhere. We are not sure if the bad deed occurred at the campground, or in the town of Boone, as she did made 2 trips into town. Her replacement hitch will have a locking pin on it. I guess it is too easy to trust people. Sure hope it was not another camper!
That is low, hope they dropped it on their foot and broke it.
I have seen a lot of items stolen lately. I just ordered a kin pin lock and will be looking at a way to lock the 5th hitch to the truck also.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 03-10-2014, 09:38 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Spent two nights near Grandfather Mountain, NC this past weekend. We had our 5th wheel and our daughter had her tow behind. When we started to pack up and leave Sunday afternoon, we discovered that someone had stolen the slide in hitch from the back of her tow vehicle!

Now what? 200 miles from home and no hitch. We ended up going to Advance Auto and purchased a 2" hitch, 2 5/16" ball, and locking pin. No other choice. She had a slow, careful ride home with no load equalizing hitch or sway bar. Fortunately she has a big, heavy, tow vehicle.

Some low life person out there somewhere. We are not sure if the bad deed occurred at the campground, or in the town of Boone, as she did made 2 trips into town. Her replacement hitch will have a locking pin on it. I guess it is too easy to trust people. Sure hope it was not another camper!
Oh man that's ridiculous. I just don't get why people mess with others stuff.

Over the years we've had various things either stolen or vandalized. Touch wood though we haven't had anything happen in quite sometime. However we have alarm systems and put as much stuff out of sight as possible or secure it
in some way if possible.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:44 PM   #37

I didn't last year but was planning on locking the removal arms that lock the pucks on my Reese hitch so one can liberate the hitch. I have been thinking of getting new bay locks as well, seems most are the same key.

B
Old 03-10-2014, 09:49 PM   #38

Ps few years ago. I went to hookup and notice the pin was missing. Looked around and it was on ground. Guessing they got scared. Bought a locking pin that day.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:56 PM   #39
Site Team

Kids will also unplug your pigtails at rest stops. Always do a walk around check before pulling out. We use the locking pin as well and wepadlock the coupler when towing and when stored. As said it keeps honest folks honest. A determined the if can drop the tt onto a smaller ball and drive away, or hook chains around the a frame and drag it away (been done before). They could also have their own breaker bar and wrench for my hitch. They could have bolt cutters for anything chained up. I gave up worrying about what could happen. I put simple deterrents on things and leave things accessible on the campsite. I don't worry about everyone having a ch751 key. I choose to enjoy my trip, I have insurance for the rest. To the op, glad your dd made it home safely.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:10 PM   #40

Locks...

I lock my hitch, my truck, my generator, and my trailer. Experience has taught me that locks help keep honest people honest.

2009 Rockwood 2701SS
2008 Tundra Crewmax 5.7
bob7794 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg