Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2014, 09:11 PM   #41
Mod free 5er

We tow the 5er with the hitch padlocked and a full, hard cover tonneau cover, nothing is exposed. Again, "Out of sight, out of mind" Tonneau cover won't raise high enough to get to padlock on hitch anyway. Taking half the tonneau cover off is not very easy unless you know how and I happen to know the jerk that built it.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:20 PM   #42

guess I got some new projects. Drill out 2 pins for 5th wheel hitch and make chain locks for propane tanks. Maybe shop for a 5th wheel pin lock too, so nobody takes the whole thing.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:41 PM   #43
NELA

We keep the tripod on our 5th wheel any time it's un hitched. We padlock that tripod in a snugged up position. Again, a determined scum sucker can defeat this, but it dang sure will slow 'em down.

And, we bought the "heavy duty" tripod, not aluminum.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:46 PM   #44
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Only thing worst than a liar is a thief.
And usually if he's one, he's both.

Sent from my XT907 using Forest River Forums mobile app

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:49 PM   #45

So far I have found it to me true that the cargo key fits other RV cargo locks as well...ie...my Sabre key fits my buddy's Hartland Landmark cargo bay...also mentioned was threat of someone stealing your LP tanks. Neither of my cargo doors for the tanks have locks nor do others I have seen. Is this because of fire safety issues? With that being the case how do you protect your tanks
Airlift system/on board compressor

speedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:13 AM   #46

yes, its a fire safety issue as to why no locks on propane doors. As far as securing, some of the retaining straps have a place for a lock. The straps aren't that heavy though. I think I will take some chain and secure to the frame it sits on.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:00 AM   #47
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcat View Post
So far I have found it to me true that the cargo key fits other RV cargo locks as well...ie...my Sabre key fits my buddy's Hartland Landmark cargo bay...also mentioned was threat of someone stealing your LP tanks. Neither of my cargo doors for the tanks have locks nor do others I have seen. Is this because of fire safety issues? With that being the case how do you protect your tanks
You can lock just your propane tanks on a 36QB:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ane-55963.html

You can lock the selt belt that goes around and, if you got creative with a bike cable lock, you could likely even lock the tanks to the mount.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:37 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
yes, its a fire safety issue as to why no locks on propane doors. As far as securing, some of the retaining straps have a place for a lock. The straps aren't that heavy though. I think I will take some chain and secure to the frame it sits on.

I guess if we just chained the two tanks together at the top, it would make it very difficult to lift both of them off of there at once.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:42 AM   #49
Somewhat right of center

Scumbags are everywhere and there seems to be more of them. I always lock everything up, even when I'm visiting relatives. Not trying to be paranoid but be aware of the people who approach your site, they could be scoping things out waiting for you to leave. Sometimes you can feel something isn't right. We've all been there. If you have a fat heavy duty chain to lock something up, make sure you use a fat heavy duty lock. It's a shame. At one time you could leave your doors unlocked, so you lock them and then comes home invasions. I'll stop there, I'm starting to get carried away.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:43 AM   #50
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
I guess if we just chained the two tanks together at the top, it would make it very difficult to lift both of them off of there at once.
Many (most?) fifth wheels have the 2 propane tanks stored in separate compartments (one on either side). Your suggestion would be good for travel trailers where the propane cylinders are side-by-side.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:45 AM   #51

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcat View Post
As for the Cargo keys yes they do unlock all trailers I never new this until my dealer told me. I changed the door locks when I got the trailer and the company I bought the door locks from had replacements for the cargo also. They keyed them to match the doors so one key opens everything and this makes my storage secure.
The overall is it really doesn't matter if they want it they will steal it, a good hammer or bolt cutter will take care of most any lock or door. Trailer doors will only slow them down a little. If you know how to take apart the tongue on a trailer it can be stolen while it is locked never removing the lock.
Criminals have nothing but time when there in Jail and rather than bettering themselves, to stay out of Jail, while there they sit and plan how they can be a better thief.
mark0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:48 AM   #52

I hate these kind of stories but it is sad reality that you cant trust anyone any longer. I would like to think that it is not a fellow camper doing this kind of stuff. You would think they would already have what they need for pulling a trailer. I also use a locking pin on my hitch....
Campster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:08 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0224 View Post
With the price of propane going up steady watch your tanks they are going to be a target. Best part most wouldn't notice till they went to have one filled. Take one out from under the shroud and turn the selector to the tank that's still there and that person will never know. Oh must clarify something I've been in Law enforcement for 24 yrs and have learned to think like them. The old statement No body says you have to be smart to be a criminal isn't totally true, the ones that get caught this applies to.

There's been rumours around here of people having their tanks swapped. Thieves take the full ones, and replace with empty ones. Coupled with having a shroud on them you'd never notice until you got to your location.

As far as why they'd leave the empties, I can only speculate it's workers who might have been given cash to 'go get these tanks filled'. Do a little swap out so you come back with the same # of tanks you left with and pocket the cash.

Thankfully my tanks were under a 6' drift most of the winter. As long as the drift was intact I assumed the tanks were fine. Now that it's warming up and things are starting to melt I'm going to have to swing by the storage and check them over.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:17 AM   #54
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
There's been rumours around here of people having their tanks swapped. Thieves take the full ones, and replace with empty ones. Coupled with having a shroud on them you'd never notice until you got to your location.

As far as why they'd leave the empties, I can only speculate it's workers who might have been given cash to 'go get these tanks filled'. Do a little swap out so you come back with the same # of tanks you left with and pocket the cash.

Thankfully my tanks were under a 6' drift most of the winter. As long as the drift was intact I assumed the tanks were fine. Now that it's warming up and things are starting to melt I'm going to have to swing by the storage and check them over.
Why not leave the tanks at home?

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:22 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Why not leave the tanks at home?

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
Never used to have problems until this past winter and contractors started burning through tanks by the dozens running propane heaters while working on homes. By then, my TT was already in storage and buried.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:23 PM   #56

Yes we all agree...some people are scum. But most of the people I have met and talked with are the happy campers that we all like to be. Camp near me, chances are I will share a drink with you- something weird at your site, chances are I will check it out. It's human nature to help out others and I would like to believe that others feel the same. Be a happy camper!

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:01 PM   #57

Had my air compressor stolen right out of my garage last summer. Now I have to keep my garage door closed all the time. Scumbags are everywhere.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:02 PM   #58
Somewhat right of center

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
Yes we all agree...some people are scum. But most of the people I have met and talked with are the happy campers that we all like to be. Camp near me, chances are I will share a drink with you- something weird at your site, chances are I will check it out. It's human nature to help out others and I would like to believe that others feel the same. Be a happy camper!
I couldn't agree more.....even though I probably didn't come across that way.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:10 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
Most of the times our camping neighbors have been good and as you say we've shared drinks and ideas on camping. These are the people we all want to meet. We had a young couple that came in the campground late and they were told to take any open site and settle in the morning. They did so and then in the morning they were told they would have to move . When the guy came around to make sure they were moving we asked if they could just move their tent to our site and stay there. He said it was ok and this way they didn't have to break down the tent an move far. They were like having a couple of our own kids now staying with us. Was a good trip.
mark0224 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg