Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2014, 03:29 PM   #21
Site Team

HSVBamaBob
Thanks for the tip about keeping the repair bills for income tax! It can't hurt to try. There are cameras but not all of them record. I don't expect much from the staff at all which is why I quit them.

TURBS
There's been a lot of this crime in the general area. I have a family member that is a police officer. He recommended finding a new place in another area. You are lucky that you can keep your unit safely at home.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:38 PM   #22
Mod free 5er

Sorry to hear of the lowlifes hitting your unit Terier, I am also lucky to be able to store my 5er at home. I still do a walk around at least once a day and it's parked right in front of "my" side of the garage.

Only one thing worse than a liar and that's a thief, which is usually both.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:42 PM   #23
Camper Less Camping

Stories like this one help me appreciate even more that I can store our rig next to our home instead of a storage facility!
Good Luck on moving away from this storage lot for a better peace of mind

Old 03-18-2014, 05:13 PM   #24
Site Team

Hi Cajun Po-Boy,

Thanks for your comments. Having the unit at your house can give you peace of mind besides being easier to get ready for a trip.

On another note
I called Allstate just to inquire and found out that the stolen items are covered under my policy. But better yet - I don't have a deductible. Not only that - it won't go against me or raise my rates.

I almost changed my low deductibles a couple weeks ago but things got confusing so I waited.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:33 PM   #25

I keep mine at home but I'm just wondering, if you pay someone for a service such as storage do they assume any responsibility for the security of your property?
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:43 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1 View Post
I keep mine at home but I'm just wondering, if you pay someone for a service such as storage do they assume any responsibility for the security of your property?
My contract with this storage place provides a clause that they cannot be held responsible. I am assigned a parking space. Now if I had a storage unit/garage then that could change things provided certain things falls into place like using their locks.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:57 PM   #27
Site Team

Update

More bad news:
My power cord, power cord extension, amp adapter, 2 fresh water hoses, water regulators (2), inline water filter, storage bins, storage bags and other misc. items were taken too. Stuff was moved around so I didn't notice the missing items.

The service manager is going to go through everything as he was setting up camp as a way to take inventory. I'm making up a list of items for him to check too.

Some good news:
I found a new good place to keep the trailer at. They will even turn the fridge on and check the air in the tires. Other than having indoor storage I couldn't be happier!

I was in the area so I dropped by the old storage place this evening and spoke with the manager. They have an idea of when the theft took place along with other clues too.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:14 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1 View Post
This is California! I'm sure they have a waiver in the rental agreement or signs relieving them of responsibility.

Terier, Sorry about your theft loss but it sounds like it's getting worked out for you. Other than the hassle. I hope you come out ok. If you were closer we would help you with the "heavy stuff"...
bob213 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:01 PM   #29

Sorry to hear. i wonder if it could have been someone that keeps their unit there. Last year at our storage lot, I was looking at the straps on my propane tanks. They have a place to put locks on them to secure them in the compartments. I decided to install the locks and the next weekend when i went to get the camper the comapartments were open and it appeared that someone tried to remove the tanks by pulling on them. Whomever never got them. Think about it, switching tanks to avoid the cost of filling your own. A few years ago someone took the wheel cover off the spare on our TT. I pulled it off of another camper. my wife asked how did I know it was ours. I turned it over and showed her our name and pointed out that their camper wasn't a Keystone, Wheel chocks seem to be taken a lot, and someone pulled all of the power cables out of the campers and cut them for the copper.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:27 AM   #30

When I bought my TT the dealer told me that the key to the outside storage compartments is the same for most trailers. The first thing I did when I got home was to change all the locks. This won't stop a determined thief but at least I'm not going to make it easy for him.
TV - 2015 Silverado 2500 HD Allison/Duramax Diesel 4WD
TT - 2014 Rockwood Windjammer 2618
Texbahrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:05 AM   #31

It is not enough that you have been violated, but you also have an unsympathetic storage manager!

At present, I do use a storage facility, but they have:

1. An onsite manager 24/7 who lives on the premises
2. Video surveillance
3. Admittance by electronic access only
4. Undercover storage only

If it was not for all the above, I would have already built storage at home.

I am sure there is a disclaimer clause in your contract about thievery, but I would take a look. Even if there is a clause, the question remains did this facility do everything reasonable to safeguard your property. Too, look at their advertisement – how do they promote the facility? Are they in anyway promoting security? Do they use the words “secure” and “safe” or any form thereof? Are they selling you piece of mind as it relates to security in addition to just a place to store your trailer? Check any and all printed material this facility uses to advertise/promote including the yellow pages, internet, brochures, and etc. Do you see where I am going with this line of questions?

I would definitely be looking at changing storage facilities.
campdohbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:07 AM   #32

here in sweetwater tx I work for a industrial contractor, last may all 8 service trucks were hit and as we a;; were watching the police do their thing I looked into the shop and our cage was open so went and looked 2 large miller wire welders on rolling stands a 10,000 watt generator a large walk behing concrete saw and lots of other things about 45,000.00 plus and one short bed 2000 model dually with a toolbox ,,,they caught the little turd in dallas he said he did it by himself he is a dope head about 150 lbs.by himself"bulls*&t the welders were 300 lbs or more.no way everything was loaded by him alone and in one truck anyway we got ONE electric jackhammer back the pawn shops "several" had a hold on almost all the items but sold them anyway, the texas
ag is in on now.theft has gone up here 150% or more,someone is gonna catch one in their home,shop car, and blow them away,we are all tired of worring when we leave home. sorry about this long winded just pisses me off.
rwehba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:16 AM   #33

The only good thing I see here is that thieves didn't decide to break in through the door. What a mess that would have been to the door & door frame.

Glad your insurance is covering you & it sounds like you have a good dealer too.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:44 AM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob213 View Post
This is California! I'm sure they have a waiver in the rental agreement or signs relieving them of responsibility.

Terier, Sorry about your theft loss but it sounds like it's getting worked out for you. Other than the hassle. I hope you come out ok. If you were closer we would help you with the "heavy stuff"...
That's nice of you to say. My new place will be helping me with the heavy items & awkward stuff like messing with getting the battery box lid off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKI Marine View Post
Sorry to hear. i wonder if it could have been someone that keeps their unit there. Last year at our storage lot, I was looking at the straps on my propane tanks. They have a place to put locks on them to secure them in the compartments. I decided to install the locks and the next weekend when i went to get the camper the comapartments were open and it appeared that someone tried to remove the tanks by pulling on them. Whomever never got them. Think about it, switching tanks to avoid the cost of filling your own. A few years ago someone took the wheel cover off the spare on our TT. I pulled it off of another camper. my wife asked how did I know it was ours. I turned it over and showed her our name and pointed out that their camper wasn't a Keystone, Wheel chocks seem to be taken a lot, and someone pulled all of the power cables out of the campers and cut them for the copper.
Things have a way of working out. I'm glad you found your spare tire cover but I couldn't help but grin when I read how you found it.

The service department is setting up a locking system for the propane tanks for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texbahrs View Post
When I bought my TT the dealer told me that the key to the outside storage compartments is the same for most trailers. The first thing I did when I got home was to change all the locks. This won't stop a determined thief but at least I'm not going to make it easy for him.
I pondered this too. My cousin's trailer had a different lock on one of the compartments. Someone couldn't get in easily so they busted the door and did some damage. I do think changing the locks can help make some

While chatting with the tow truck driver he mentioned that he was surprised to find out about the 751 key and how it opens RVs from different brands. Here is what I didn't know - the 751 key also can open the compartments on a tow truck too (or least the ones he drives).

Old 03-23-2014, 01:56 AM   #35
Site Team

I got an email from the insurance company today and over all I'm happy with the amount they are sending me. The keywords are "overall" because the 'loose items' are not covered. Can't say I'm pleased with replacing the fresh water hose, regulator, inline water filter, etc. but it could had been worst if he didn't include the power supply cord. I'm out of luck too with the 30 amp power cord extension cord and my spare water hoses.

I'm heading out in a few days so I can take a detailed inventory then. Right now I'm just focusing on what items I actually need for this trip. And I've been wondering what was missing in the little blue container that I keep my cotter pins & stubby screw driver in and just now I realized my ladies work gloves were stolen too.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:19 PM   #36
Site Team

Final update: I picked up the tt on Thursday. The service mgr said to rewrite check for x amount which was just about $300 less than insurance check. He ordered the items that were stolen that I had not replaced yet. He gave me two p-tanks instead of just one. As a surprise I was handed new keys to my bay storage compartments. They changed out the locks - no more 751 key.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Forest River Forums mobile app

Old 03-31-2014, 02:13 PM   #37
GLCM Warrior

These might help in preventing future theft of your batteries: B & D RV Battery Lock For RV travel trailers and popup campers.. They are a little pricey...but if you'd like we have one that I bought for my now sold travel trailer that I'd ship to you if you want it...no charge...just send a PM.

Sorry a thieve had to ruin your day. Glad that things are mostly back in order.
Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:46 AM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty59 View Post
These might help in preventing future theft of your batteries: B & D RV Battery Lock For RV travel trailers and popup campers.. They are a little pricey...but if you'd like we have one that I bought for my now sold travel trailer that I'd ship to you if you want it...no charge...just send a PM.

Sorry a thieve had to ruin your day. Glad that things are mostly back in order.
Hi Lefty,

I will send you a PM tomorrow (Tuesday).

Thanks,
Terie