Old 03-16-2014, 08:02 PM   #1
Site Team
Bad news and not so bad news

Bad news
Around 2:30 pm today I went to check on my TT at the storage place. As soon as I drive up to my trailer I could see one of the battery box covers on the ground and to the right I saw white acid on the pavement plus both storage doors were ajar. I got hit by a thieve! Both batteries and one of the propane tanks were stolen. The thieve got the other tank loose but left it. The coupler lock were messed with too but the lock did the job. My large awning mat is missing.

I looked around and at least 4 other RVs in my area were possibly hit with theft of batteries and propane tanks. While owners could had removed these items I don't see them leaving the battery wires on the ground.

In several discussions with the storage employee I recommended that the other RV owners be contacted so they can check if they also got hit by the thieve. The third time I mentioned this she reply that she doesn't know who all the manager contacted...I replied back "Well, she didn't contact me!". Either the storage place knew that some RVs were hit or they just don't care. I can't get over the fact that the clues were there that something wasn't right but no one checked.

This place has double gates are that locked so there is no coming or going after business hours. The fence is pretty high with has barbed wire so breaking in wouldn't be easy. Of course the employee didn't see anything but did say that she wouldn't know what to look for during her checks.

After calling the police around 2:45 pm the employee tells me that manager wanted me to know that they lock the gate at 3:45pm (Sundays) that if the police has not arrived by then that I would need to make other arrangements. This went over like a lead brick. A little later the employee asked if I could make the police report tomorrow or another time.

Not so bad new
My surge protector, anti-sway bar & HD bars were left behind. I'm glad that I locked the spare tire. No signs of any trouble inside the TT. At least my next camping trip is a little over a week away so I do have a little time to get things back to normal.

I also gave my two weeks notice to the storage place. Tomorrow I will start making arrangements to get the TT towed to the service department to replace the batteries.

Not a happy camper but then things could had been much worst.

Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:06 PM   #2
Sorry. That really sucks!

Ralph & Adrienne

2016 Flagstaff 8528CKWSA
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L

RalphieAdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:09 PM   #3
Moderators' Assistant
sorry, Terier!!! hate to hear about stuff like that.

sounds like there wasn't any real damage to the trailer, which is good news.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:11 PM   #4
That suck sorry to hear that
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:13 PM   #5
DW's Retirement Plan
Well, that's a fine howdy-do!

I was out where my trailer is stored a week or two ago. Didn't see anything unusual, but then again, I didn't get out of my car and take a walk-around. I do know where the propane tanks and battery are - right here at the house. Haven't heard of any problems at the storage site and hope I never do.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life...
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:17 PM   #6
Ugh, so sorry to hear!
2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:18 PM   #7
Sorry to hear about the theft, it really sucks. What sucks worse is the attitude of the management of the storage lot.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:19 PM   #8
Site Team
Yes, very lucky there wasn't any damage to the trailer. And it does suck but could be worst. This is the first problem I had at this place and I been there over 3 years. There also been a couple of changes in management too and it shows. The owner raised my rate back in August and sent another rate increase for April.

If I could I would remove the batteries & propane tanks but they are much too heavy for me. Since I don't have a husband to assist with these heavy tasks I am at the mercy of others. Now I need to find a new home for the TT.
Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:25 PM   #9
Site Team
I hate to hear this, and I personally got mad the more I read of your story. I despise thieves...............and the callous attitude the facility person had.
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

I've just ordered a chicken and an egg from Amazon.... I will keep you posted.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:32 PM   #10
Nothing worse, IMO, than a damn thief!

A few stolen batteries will finance a night of meth, unfortunately.

Around here metal is a prime target for meth heads. If it's not glowing red hot and welded down at both ends they'll take it, and head for the scrap metal dealer.

Even with our RV stored a few yards off our back patio, we still have a security camera and a flood light aimed at it, and it's behind a privacy fence. I'm thinkin' we may need a motion detector alarm installed around it.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote