Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2015, 03:09 PM   #1
Newbie Level 2

Bad Weather Question

I have a new 2306 TT and want to know what is recommended I do to my trailer , which I keep in my driveway, if a hurricane is coming?
What if I am at a Campsite and this or really bad storms are coming?
Is their topics on tie downs?
I can not find any topics on this in your forum?
This must come up often, especially if your trailer is left at a storage or RV park year round.
Thanks in Advance !!
KeepTravelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:14 PM   #2
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Most campgrounds have bath houses or shower rooms that double as storm shelters. As to the first question what to do if a hurricane is coming? Leave, go to a school house for refuge or seek shelter. I've never seen an RV with tie-downs. Although most RVs have insurance to cover damages. Good Luck!
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:26 PM   #3

Grab the wideside and find shelter, the trailer and the stuff in it is replaceable.

Ask the CG host where the shelters may be found if they do not have one.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:24 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Good topic...especially for folks in the tornado alley and near the Atlantic coast. (Nobody wants to be inside a trailer for either!!)

We lived in West Texas and found a NOAA radio very useful because it would play that eerie tone whenever there was a tornado in the area. (Often in the middle of the night.) If I were to camp more in weather-prone areas, I'd buy one. (Many come with multiple power sources so you are ensured it will always be useful.)
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:35 PM   #5

Iphone has an app for that too... Maybe it's the weather channel. I dunno, but I have it and it does go off occasionally

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:51 PM   #6

When I worked in Florida I was told to only go by and get the "important stuff" from camper unless you knew you wouldn't be in any traffic. Called my insurance and they agreed that was their policy.

Tornado get to a safe spot. Unpredictable and wouldn't want to be going to an area with so much available flying debris.

As stated they are insured and can be replaced. Good common sense but I asked the same question too.

arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:15 PM   #7
Summer2Go

I do know what worked during "sandy" came to NW New Jersey. We had enough time to batten down. I moved the camper right smack in the middle of my lawn, away from all the trees. Trees came down all around, pulled giant trunks right out of the ground, and snapped branches like twigs. The camper was fine. That's a bit different from being in a campground, but it's something to think about.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:45 AM   #8

when you know a hurricane is coming hook the camper up and get out of town. Our plan is to load important documents and pictures in camper and head to the dry side of the storm. Then if the worst happens we have the camper to live in till the house is repaired.
Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:33 PM   #9

We were in Mtn View, AR couple of years ago, set up camp, turned on the news and learned a tornado was headed directly toward us about 15 miles away. Grabbed medicines, papers and a couple changes of clothes and headed to the nearby Wal-Mart. They took us into the employees lounge with 20-30 others seeking shelter. They were very nice folks, kept us updated and provided water and snacks until the all clear came.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:40 PM   #10
Site Team

This is a good topic to think about before a plan is needed to be put into action. One thing I do after setting up camp is to head to a gas station to fill up in case I need to make an emergency exit for any reason.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:40 AM   #11
TigerPride

I understand your question was not anything about riding out a storm in your camper so To try to answer your question, we live in south Louisiana and have gotten hit pretty bad with hurricanes. We leave ours in the drive way if we deem it safe to ride out the storm in our house if we decide that we need to leave we pull the camper with us and head north and stay in the Rv. As for the tie downs I have never seen any specifically for rvs but have seen Cajun ingenuity at its best. Some have taken mobile home anchors, screwed them into ground around Rv and tied into the frame where possible. Hope this helps
cajunrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:52 PM   #12
Swift2

I had just tied down one corner of our RV on the Oregon coast while having a rough storm. I was inside when the wind lifted us up and hung us like a kite. It only missed our house by couple of feet with water and cans coming down thru the trailer. Thank goodness for that tie down. The tie down was a "T" slot 2ft. Deep with a gable tied to the young of the trailer.
Swift 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 03:35 PM   #13
Summer2Go

What part did you tie it to on the trailer?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 03:43 PM   #14

Have seen trailer house anchors to the frame of a camper in a park on the banks of the Ohio River. The wind would push a camper pretty good.

arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote