Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2019, 12:33 PM   #101

Banning outside firewood

Some science is wrong. Insects have not developed to recognize state, county or park boundaries. A firewood ban is nothing more than to sell 8 pieces of wood for $8. Since the southern Luv Bug came to the US from South America, did they hitch a ride or fly here. They are now found in North Carolina.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:44 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
At Lake MacDonald in Glacier National Park, MT, all powered watercraft must be inspected and then quarantined for 30 days prior to launch.
I know Montana , Idaho, Wyoming . have check stations for all boats they make sure there drained of water and then power wash with hot water to kill anything then tag it and you're good to go . and lake macdonald honors inspected and tagged boats from other Montana inspection stations
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:10 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadjam123 View Post
Where I live in Ontario, we have a huge problem with the Emerald Ash Borer beetle. When I register online for a campsite, I have to confirm that I will not transport firewood to the campground. And when I arrive at the campground, as soon as they bring up my registration on their screen, they ask again if I am transporting firewood. They are trying to ensure that the beetle doesn't spread further.
I try to be as responsible as I can when camping. I try to leave as small a footprint as possible, by not cutting down trees, leaving garbage behind, etc. I always clean up my site, and pick up garbage where I see it. When I hike, I stay on the trails etc. I would never want to be the reason that another area is decimated because I transported infested wood. Quite often, you can easily buy firewood just outside the park that is local, and often cheaper!

The problem I have is that EAB has infected the entire province of Ontario, so not moving firewood around is a moot point. I swear that Ontario Parks hoses down their firewood prior to selling it. If I could buy good dry hardwood from the park at a reasonable price I would do it....otherwise, I'll continue to bring my own.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:42 AM   #104

I love campfires where they are legal. Wood is carbon neutral. Burning wood releases the same amount of carbon that the tree absorbed during its lifetime. Logging and harvesting wood products stores carbon for long periods of time.

I have owned a logging company but would never take a chainsaw on a camping trip. It is not that hard to collect and use fallen wood for a fire. A good fire changes everything in the off season during cold conditions. It was 29 this last August on a backpacking trip in the Sierras.

Stoves are made of metals that have to be mined. Propane requires exploration and drilling, refining and transport. Then there are cannisters that have to be disposed of. Skill with fire building can save your life in tough conditions, like falling in a creek in winter.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:01 PM   #105

To each his own but I don’t care much for campfires. When I was backpacking I carried white gas and fuel tabs and a couple of lighters.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 05:54 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lyon View Post
The problem I have is that EAB has infected the entire province of Ontario, so not moving firewood around is a moot point. I swear that Ontario Parks hoses down their firewood prior to selling it. If I could buy good dry hardwood from the park at a reasonable price I would do it....otherwise, I'll continue to bring my own.

Lol. It’s the running joke in PP’s. You can start a forest fire with a cigarette butt, but you can’t start a campfire with Ontario Parks wood.
Old 07-27-2019, 05:56 PM   #107

We do cheat sometimes and use those 4hr fire logs. Not much smoke but a bit of fun.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:24 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
I have owned a logging company but would never take a chainsaw on a camping trip.
Can't use one in any National Forest without a permit so I'd leave it home too.

I agree, it's easy to find wood for a fire if you want to. Trees shed limbs regularly.

Around here however, the company the National Forest local office has contracted with to "Host" the campgrounds has posted rules prohibiting "Wood Gathering". They don't want any interference with their revenue stream which includes selling firewood. You get a bundle of dry wood that might last two hours for $7.

At that price I'd definitely go with a 4-hour log. Twice the burn time for $2 less.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:34 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Around here however, the company the National Forest local office has contracted with to "Host" the campgrounds has posted rules prohibiting "Wood Gathering". They don't want any interference with their revenue stream which includes selling firewood. You get a bundle of dry wood that might last two hours for $7.
Just got back from Kings/Sequoia Canyon National Park. They were encouraging wood gathering. There was so much downed wood, it saved them money from removing it.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote