Old 03-14-2019, 04:17 PM   #1

Banning outside firewood

Just curious.....
With more and more campgrounds banning outside firewood I wondered what the community thinks. A real problem or a profit center...

Old 03-14-2019, 04:23 PM   #2
RV There Yet?

I am very conflicted on this. on one hand, the problem is already there (EAB) so what is banning wood doing? on the other hand, maybe they are trying to stem the problem from getting worse?

in either case, its a profit center for the campground. but its their property and their rules. MN has a ban on moving firewood, and most of the places i camp sell "firewood" that i have to buy there now. no big deal, except its scraps from furniture makers, not split cord wood. not the same we play by the rules to try to make a better future for the younger generations.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrybessette View Post
Just curious.....
With more and more campgrounds banning outside firewood I wondered what the community thinks. A real problem or a profit center...
Gas firepit is easier to haul and no smoke IMOP. If you like wood nothing at all is easier too.

Profit center, yes, but you could also source wood locally from outside the CG cheaper like you do for propane.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:29 PM   #4

Some areas in the country have a very serious Forrest bug problem. That is the biggest reason for banning outside wood. Not knowing where it came from. My camp sells wood. I am seasonal and allowed to bring in my own by the cord bought locally. I could never afford $12.00 for 7 pieces of firewood for a 4 month stay.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:30 PM   #5
Gold Tee Box

I haven't run into one that completely banned firewood from outside their campground. The general rule is that it is purchased in the area so you don't bring in bugs, etc. from another area.

When we cross the CA agricultural stations at the border, they most always ask about firewood because of bringing in something from out of state. (especially if the agents need firewood at home)

At Calico hardwood in Santa Rosa, CA, you can purchase blocks of 400 degree kiln dried walnut, 50 pound bags for $9 a bag, which makes good campfires and no bugs to transport. They make walnut gun stocks and these are the extra blocks of wood that are cut out.
42 campgrounds/292 nights since 2015
Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:30 PM   #6
Site Team

It is a very real problem. Check out the link below by scrolling through the timeline. Although the insects do move on their own, the majority of the movement is caused by transporting wood. Unfortunately many jurisdictions use state or county lines to implement movement controls for lack of a better solution.

Emerald Ash Borer | Timelines

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Some areas in the country have a very serious Forrest bug problem. That is the biggest reason for banning outside wood. Not knowing where it came from. My camp sells wood. I am seasonal and allowed to bring in my own by the cord bought locally. I could never afford $12.00 for 7 pieces of firewood for a 4 month stay.
Emerald Ash Borer here. I have no problem buying wood at the campground as it usually comes from a local guy trying to make a buck anyway.

I will however buy outside the park if the would is all softwood and not a good mixture. Also if I buy wet wood the first time, then it's off to local wood cutter again. I will keep the wood I bought out in camp out in the open should the folks walk around "looking" as I have seen that also.
tyler811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
Gas firepit is easier to haul and no smoke IMOP. If you like wood nothing at all is easier too.

Profit center, yes, but you could also source wood locally from outside the CG cheaper like you do for propane.
I was thinking about this...on one hand would be awesome no more showering before bed so the TT does not smell like restored fire insurance claim. However camp fire smoke is a right of passage. Like everyone bring Irish on ST. Patrick's Day or a Christmas tree during Christmas.
tyler811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:46 AM   #9

Banning outdoor wood burning is next.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Banning outdoor wood burning is next.
That has already happened in fire prone areas ...thus the gas pits during burning bans.

dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote