Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2015, 10:55 AM   #21
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
It seems 90% of the time we are in a RV Park so here’s what I do when we get to a park, well let me start at the end so the beginning makes more sense.
Lastly, when we get home we use an air compressor and a special fitting that goes onto the air hose and connects to the city water connection to blow all the water out of the trailer unless it’s only going to be a few days before we use the trailer again.So when we get to a sight we
1.Level the trailer E/W
2. Block the wheels
3. Level the trailer N/S
4. Hook up the electricity including Surge Guard
5. Hook up cable
6. Hook up city water using quick connects
7. Hook up sewer hose and support
Go inside and put the slides out
9. Program the TV (takes a while) even more if you leave the booster on from last time.
10. Fill the WH and flush all the lines.
Take the sticky note off the WH switch that says WH Tank Empty. The sticky note is a 1 cent insurance policy.
12. Turn on the electric side of the WH
Other than switching 1 & 2, sounds about right. I lock the wheels first. Level side to side while pulling into site.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:03 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Other than switching 1 & 2, sounds about right. I lock the wheels first. Level side to side while pulling into site.
I'm cornfused, how do you lock the wheels first then pull up on the leveling blocks?

We pull into the site and get real close to where we want to park I get out and grab the level (oops, beer first then level) and see how far off the trailer is E/W then I grab the Lego's and have the DW pull or back onto them. Recheck level then block/chock the wheels.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:05 AM   #23

Basic RV 101 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbdavey View Post
For the water heater, use electric when ever you can, but always turn it off when you travel. That way you don't instantly turn on the heater when you plug in at the next campground before you've got the water hooked up and the water heater full. You can use propane on the refrigerator when traveling. Some will caution you to turn the gas off if you stop to fuel up you tow vehicle. I never have, and so far I've not blown myself up.

X2. And..... Listen when Old Coot makes suggestions. I've found him to be very knowledgable; Not to say that others aren't.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:06 AM   #24
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
I'm cornfused, how do you lock the wheels first then pull up on the leveling blocks?

We pull into the site and get real close to where we want to park I get out and grab the level (oops, beer first then level) and see how far off the trailer is E/W then I grab the Lego's and have the DW pull or back onto them. Recheck level then block/chock the wheels.
I level side to side when pulling into the site on the Anderson ramps if necessary and then lock the wheels with Bal X Chocks.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:50 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I level side to side when pulling into the site on the Anderson ramps if necessary and then lock the wheels with Bal X Chocks.
OC & I (and a bunch of others!) 'discovered' the Andersen levelers last year. These are a really good investment - even though a few of us dual axel folks have had to cut them down to fit between the axels. Even so, WELL worth the trouble!

OC - did you see where Andersen is using the same principle as their levelers in a tire jack? Pretty cool idea!

Oh, and X10 on listening to what OC says
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:13 PM   #26

Thanks to all for the advice, finally got to take it out for a shakedown cruise, only pulled it 30 miles ( close to dealer). There have been several issues: Shower had a leak, went to dealer and got a caulking gun & sealant from the service dept (easier to diy than pack up & haul it to them.

Found a leak under galley sink and found the tail piping connection hand tight, tightened flange and the pipe popped out of flange, the chucklehead cut it to short, this was 8:30 pm, luckily found an open lowes and replaced all of the galley drain piping. I went to dealer in am & showed the receipt and they gave me a store credit equal to repair cost.

All in all we are enjoying our new home away from home.