Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2007, 02:07 PM   #1

Bathroom Smell

Hello everyone,

My family recently went on our 2nd camping trip of the year and fourth overall in our 2007 Flagstaff 27BHSS. After arriving to the campground and setting up I was informed by my step daughter that there was a terrible smell in the bathroom. Upon entering the bathroom my initial thought was that a mouse or rat had gotten inside and died.

After further inspection I found the smell coming from the toilet area. I contacted my dealer for advice and was asked if I use chemicals and the RV toilet paper. I use Odorless chemicals and RV specific toilet paper. It was then recommended I empty the Black water to see if the smell goes away. Of coarse after just setting up camp I was not about to break camp to empty the Black water tank. I might have but the smell was isolated to the bathroom area. I then proceeded to fill the Black tank about 1/2 full of water and added another pouch of chemicals. This maybe helped a little.

Yesterday after breaking camp we stopped and emptied the holding tanks as usual. I then proceeded to flush the tank. I filled the tank about 1/2 full and added more chemicals. After returning to the storage facility I again emptied the Black water, filled slightly and added more chemicals, and then parked the trailer.

What is puzzling to me is that no matter how bad the smell is inside of the tank, how it could be getting into the trailer? My family and I have used the trailer three times prior to this without any noticeable tank smell.

I plan on checking the vent for the black tank of which I was told by my dealer that there is one on top of the trailer. I also plan on checking the routing of the bathtub drain to ensure that it is routed to the gray tank and not the black. I will also be adding a flush system.

Any advice or experiences would be appreciated.

Happy Camping
Honda Generator, Small Dog,
Beautiful Wife and 3 Special Daughters
GandBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:30 PM   #2

Hi GandBL,

First off this is not an uncommon problem and can be easily dealt with.

The cause of the odor getting into your trailer is via a small vent that is built into your toilet. What happens is there is a low pressure situation in your trailer and a high pressure situation outside your trailer and the air is coming down the black tank vent and then into your trailer via the small vent in the toilet.

The Remedy that I use very successfully is a combination of two things. A good chemical in the black tank and creating a low pressure situation outside my trailer at the black tank vent.

The chemical I use is Odor-Con available via mail order at http://www.billydump.com/3r/3rhome.htm

The low pressure creating device is called the RV360 available at http://www.rv-360.com/ or at Camping World (I bought mine there) for around $30 after tax.

I believe the combination of the 2 work VERY well together. I am also a subscriber of the “don’t over flush your black tank” crowd. Flush it when you’ve got something stuck to your sensors giving a false positive full, otherwise leave it alone. The Odor-Con creates a film that coats the inside of the tank to continue to kill odors. Yes I know that’s what their literature says but I’ve been using it for over 5 years now and I can’t complain. The RV360 uses the natural breeze and winds to “suck” bad odors out of your tank. The small vent in your toilet actually helps in this action.

Hopes this helps. There will be other opinions and what works for some doesn’t work for others. This combination just happens to work for me.

Cheers!!
Greg
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:32 PM   #3

And no I don't work for or supply either of the things I have recomended

Just my 2 cents.

Greg
Old 04-16-2007, 05:11 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
I was also going to recommend the little vent thingie mentioned above, it may very well solve this common problem particularly since it hasn't occurred before. But I thought I'd add that the source of such an offensive odor can be a bit deceiving... do you happen to leave your grey water valve open when you camp? A lot of people do, but gasses from the campground sewer system can seep into the grey tank and up through the closest outlets which would be the sink or tub, especially when other campers are purging their tanks. It's always better to leave all knife valves closed.

One last rather obvious thing.... water is staying in the toilet right? That inch or two is necessary to seal the toilet from such tank fumes.
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:02 PM   #5

Yep. What he said too.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:52 PM   #6

Hello,
Thanks for the links and comments. And yes...water is staying in the toilet.
Thanks Again
Honda Generator, Small Dog,
Beautiful Wife and 3 Special Daughters
GandBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:59 PM   #7

I would like to also add my 2 cents. Something I have found is that we all like to conserve water but you can't do that with the black tank. If you don't have enough water in the black tank- 1)The chemicals can't circulate and brake down the solids. 2) There is nothing to carry the solids out when you dump the tank. I have found I start with a little water in the tank and then add the chemicals. I also make sure that one way or another the tank is full when I dump even if I have to put a hose done the toilet. You can hold the toilet open and you still get no odors from it. Hope this helps.
1997 F250 H/D
44,000 mls
460ci Motor
4:10 gears
35" BFG's

markclement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:09 AM   #8
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Camco makes a knock-off of that RV360...and it's much cheaper ($).
I bought one intending to install it...however I sold my RV and didn't need it.
The new RV has no tanks in it.
I just gave the vent to a friend of mine.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDJollyMon View Post
Camco makes a knock-off of that RV360...and it's much cheaper ($).
And you can tell it's cheaper too. The PVC is not as thick (about half as thick if I remember right). The pivot point was also not as heavy as the RV360 either. I was worried about it breaking or flying off as I rolled down the highway. The RV360 may be overkill compared to the two but I'd rather spend the money once.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:39 AM   #10
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Here is a link to what we call...

BLACK TANK 101

All these methods and suggestions will help eliminate odors and make camping easier.

http://www.outbackers.com/forums/ind...showtopic=1650

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 04:39 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
Nice link. Thanks

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote