Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
Site Team

Battening down the hatches

We are forecast to get 50-60 mph winds from Isaac up here in the northern part of Louisiana.

My 831RLBSS is outside. Any advice on precautions I need to take to secure the trailer would be appreciated?

I may position the trailer where the wind will hit it from the front, which would be the same as pulling it down the road.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
We are forecast to get 50-60 mph winds from Isaac up here in the northern part of Louisiana.

My 831RLBSS is outside. Any advice on precautions I need to take to secure the trailer.
Hook up and head northeast.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Hook up and head northeast.
I would probably get real good gas mileage, with the tail wind.

My biggest concern, is with the drought we've been having, that the trees root systems aren't going to be able to hold during this wind.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:14 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Bobby, I think you have already hit on a good idea, of letting the wind hit front on as much as possible.

You have a valid concern with the tree root problem....park that puppy as far a way as you can from the bigger, older trees, and upwind if possible.

Also, charge up the battery and cool down the fridge.....that might be your home away from home if you loose power to your house. Gas up the generator.

Good Luck, Bobby.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:24 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post

Good Luck, Bobby.
Thanks Chap. Hopefully it won't get as bad as they are forecasting. My daughter, who attends one of our local colleges, told me yesterday that they were already moving classes out of certain buildings...so they could use the buildings as emergency shelters for evacuees from south LA. (who are the ones really affected by this)

Old 08-28-2012, 09:30 AM   #6
CampingQueen

Can't add to the tips, but will say that I'm thinking about all those affected by the storm and hope you guys ride it out safely!

I would 2nd the 'fire up the fridge' idea though - it's great to have somewhere to go to get a hot shower when the power goes out!
arlee453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:42 AM   #7

Fill up your water tanks also..just in case.. May God watch over... ALL OF YOU ..
Old 08-28-2012, 09:44 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Also, charge up the battery and cool down the fridge.....that might be your home away from home if you loose power to your house. Gas up the generator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlee453 View Post
I would 2nd the 'fire up the fridge' idea though - it's great to have somewhere to go to get a hot shower when the power goes out!
Ya have talked me into it. My brother gave me a new gas-powered generator last year. It's still sitting in the box. I guess I should go get it out and fire that baby up........just in case.

Our energy provider has already started staging crews up here in preparation. They have also been on a massive tree-trimming quest for a few years now....cutting back limbs and trees from the power lines. It has made a lot of people mad, with the amount of trees they have taken out, but this situation is where it pays off.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:52 AM   #9

True story (2nd hand). In April 2011 we had several tornadoes blow through this area. My brother-in-law worked for the State of Georgia. He told me that the Georgia DOT had several new vehicles parked in an old, barley standing shelter. When the reports were coming out about the storms, they decided to move the vehicles out of the shed for fear it would fall. So they moved them away from it to a spot close to some trees. Thinking the trees would provide a wind break.
Yep the shed was still standing and the trees fell on the vehicles. Murphy law still in effect...
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #10

Being 60 miles from the MS gulf coast, and since this storm path is close to path Katrina took, here is my advice. Let me point out first, this is no Katrina. Here in the Hattiesburg area we had 100 mph wind out of the east. When the eye passed some 15 miles to the west of us the wind immediately changed to the south. That wind was just as bad as the east wind. That 6 hour period of 100 mph wind was no fun.

I would try to park that trailer beside a structure that could shield it from the wind.
Or at least get it off of a hill or away from open areas where the wind would be worse. A friend of mine put his stabilizers down and filled up his holding tanks to make the trailer heavier. Didn't work. Just fell over faster!

Hope you are prepared and hang on!!!
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post

My 831RLBSS is outside. Any advice on precautions I need to take to secure the trailer would be appreciated?

I may position the trailer where the wind will hit it from the front, which would be the same as pulling it down the road.
We are here near Houma, I backed my trailer into the driveway up against the garage, but the stabilizers down good and tight, put my chocks in good and filled ALL my tanks. I am just crossing my fingers it won't move too much.

2012 Wildwood X-Lite 281QB
2011 Ford F150 XLT 5.0L 3.73
bayouboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:59 PM   #12

Our camper is in a steel siding storage unit east of Baton Rouge. 4 way level up system down. Hope it holds for the duration of the storm. Tomorrow will be the worst!
1jeb289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #13

I live south of I-10 in La. I pulled my camper from the backyard and placed it in an RV rental lot that is free of trees and surrounded by a 10 foot chain link fence. Filled the grey and fresh water tank and put down the stabilizers. Could be overkill, but i"ll sleep better tonight. Good Luck.
Down the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jeb289 View Post
Our camper is in a steel siding storage unit east of Baton Rouge. 4 way level up system down. Hope it holds for the duration of the storm. Tomorrow will be the worst!
I've been listening to where ya are going to be on the east side (the worse) of the storm. Let's all hope it doesn't linger too much.

Best of luck to everyone.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:20 PM   #15

Everyone down there be safe!!
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #16

Thanks. Hurricane just made landfall so we will begin feeling full effects around midnight. They are saying the worst will be tomorrow. DW and I are hoping we do not lose power during the night.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:44 AM   #17

Good Luck, I wish that you could get in your RV and head out. It is so nice up north this time of year. Almost any place is better in the summer then the south. Happy Trails
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372
Good Luck, I wish that you could get in your RV and head out. It is so nice up north this time of year. Almost any place is better in the summer then the south. Happy Trails
We hope to be able to stay up north in the summer in the next year or so when we can retire. The hurricane is stalled, so we are looking at today and tomorrow sweating this thing out.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:18 AM   #19

You may want to make sure you have a supply of cash on hand in case the power (and thus all electronic transactions) goes out for any length of time and you find you need more fuel or something.

Good luck.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:10 AM   #20
Site Team

We are hearing reports, like below, that some parish levees got overtopped with water, and people are having to flee to their attics. Luckily, there are brave people who are rescuing them.

Hurricane Isaac rescues in Plaquemines Parish so far thanks to Jesse Shaffer and son | NOLA.com