Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2019, 11:43 AM   #21

I leave it in and let the solar keep it topped off .

TV:GMC 2500HD Duramax
TT: 2015 Wildwood 21rbs
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 12:02 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Never in all my years playing with cars has that ever happened to me. Only time acid will come out is if YOU over Charge it. They will not boil off any acid sitting! They haven't used rubber cases since the ups!
Agreed. If the charger is in float mode, as it should, there should be no boiling of the electrolyte at all!
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:46 PM   #23

And how old will a battery go? This one is 4 years old next month. I never thought about a Solar charger. What do they run for a good one?

2021 Arctic Wolf
2020 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Gasser
RRSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:11 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510Rick View Post
I leave it in and let the solar keep it topped off .

Rick, you are talking a few hundred watts of solar, right? I.e., not a small 10-20W solar trickle charger type thing.

I worry that the solar controller will start over each morning with a three-stage charge (bulk, absorption, float) that would be a bit rough on the battery. Do you know if this happens with your system? I.e., when the battery voltage drops down to 12.6 or 12.7 Volts overnight, is that low enough for the controller to go into bulk mode or does it go back into float when the sun comes up.

I worry that if the controller goes through the three stages, the bulk stage will take the battery up to 14.4V which runs it through a bit of a cycle needlessly.
100% dry camping and boondocking.
https://hclarkx.slickpic.com/gallery/?viewer
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:17 PM   #25
Site Team

X2 Do not be fooled by the ads for a 10W battery trickle charger. You might just as well do nothing.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:18 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minthillbill View Post
If you take out, do not leave on concrete, put a board under it or in its battery box. .
Old wives tale. Maybe true when batteries were made with pitch covered wood boxes, about 100 years ago.

If you have "acid coming out the vents" of your battery it's being overcharged.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:54 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minthillbill View Post
If you take out, do not leave on concrete, put a board under it or in its battery box. I leave mine in and disconnected with a battery minder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Old wives tale! I have had batterys sitting on concrete for years and no problem with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
No, it's not.

Trace amounts of battery acid escaping from the vents can and will over time damage the concrete right underneath the battery, especially when they're on a battery tender/charger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Old wives tale. Maybe true when batteries were made with pitch covered wood boxes, about 100 years ago.

If you have "acid coming out the vents" of your battery it's being overcharged.
I agree with Mike, but I'd say 40 years ago; and the issue was discharge of the battery. This is the first time I've ever heard of an issue with the concrete itself. In 1972 I had a motorcycle battery I left on concrete and it discharged the battery, but it never hurt the concrete.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:27 PM   #28
Brake is on left

Batteries vent hydrogen and oxygen with trace sulfuric acid. Of there is boil over that is a completely differnt problem that will eat whatever you put it on.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:35 PM   #29
FLY4FUN

...batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
My camper has been plugged in somewhere for the last 5-6 years, except when I'm moving or boondocking. When I'm home, it stays plugged in out in my rv building. Never take my batteries out unless I'm doing something with the connections.
How often do you check the electrolyte/water levels (assuming that yours aren't sealed or "maintenance free")?
14apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:30 PM   #30

Our A-frame stores in the garage, which gets down to around freezing in the winter in Colorado. Since I have never have seen ice form on the garage floor from snow melt off the vehicles, I assume the garage stays just above freezing. So I don't winterize. I do drain the water out (use low point and water tank drains and open a faucet) before I put in the garage after the last October trip, mainly to get rid of stale water.

When I get home from a trip, I plug it in to the house to fully recharge the batteries (pair of GC-2s). After a week or so (or when I remember), I unplug the camper and disconnect the batteries, leaving them in the box.

Before each trip, we plug the camper in to pre-cool the fridge and fully charge the batteries. At that time, I check the battery water level. We do like to make winter trips when a warm weekend occurs, so the A-frame never sits for more than 90 days.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:40 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
X2 Do not be fooled by the ads for a 10W battery trickle charger. You might just as well do nothing.

A friend swears by his, but it faces south with no trees so gets optimal sun. But, after some questionable results from the $5 Harbor Freight 120V ones ($5 is the on-sale price) I invested in one of these. I doubt they are as magical as claimed, but the battery in a car I drive only 3-5 times per year was clearly at end-of-life about 5 years ago in spite of having an HF trickle charger on it when sitting. I put one of these on it and the battery is now about 9 years old and still works (though I suspect without much reserve). I now have one of these on my garden tractor and one on my TV in the off-season.

https://smile.amazon.com/NOCO-G750-A...1600034&sr=8-1
100% dry camping and boondocking.
https://hclarkx.slickpic.com/gallery/?viewer
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 09:06 PM   #32

I just disconnect the battery until spring. It’s covered like my TT through winter by my TT cover, never a problem
clcornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:55 PM   #33

NEW Batteries No Power

My Toyhauler is Parked always plugged in, Im in nor cal, with PGnE NO power
Thought to myself NO problemo I will go to the toy hauler...

I had old batteries that barely held a charge.. so to be ready for these stupid power outages ( FYI I LOST EVERYTHING 4 years ago in the BUTTE CALAVERAS Fire ) so now this....AND on top of it my Generator I bought for the house, wifi fridge etc... 2 years ago, is acting up,.. I know the basics, Dont leave old gas, etc. but back to why I NEED the RV working

I went and bought 2 new 12 v Marine /RV Deep Cycle

NOW NOTHING Works , no lights, cant start the generator ( 5000 Onan )
what gives?? ..Please advise
Fuse blown???
Productive, Darn handy Woman on Acreage, (not my first rodeo)

HOWEVER, HINT..??? If I plug Toy into my New 2018 F250 and my truck is RUNNING , most things work, the fridge, lights, etc..But still now generator, cant pump the gas for toys??

If My truck is NOT Running , no lights at all for TOY?? is this Normal??
Coco ( pulling my hair out ) I just purchased a fuse? Light up voltage reader?? shall I begin there?
18 Ford F250
Coco traveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery