Old 09-29-2016, 01:56 PM   #1

Battery charging help

I have a Rockwood TT on a 5 month around the country trip. Parked at a friends house for 2 weeks and stayed inside. I closed the unit up but forgot to turn the battery shutoff. Well the smoke & Carbon dioxide alarms went off signaling a low battery. So thought I'd power up the day before I leave to cool the frig b/4 I put food in it. So to charge the battery I plugged in the truck 7 pin connector. Well after almost 2 hrs the TT battery indicator still registers still low. Question. Is the reason it's not charging the battery is that the truck is idling? Any info is appreciated.

Robb

Old 09-29-2016, 02:13 PM   #2

Amperage is way too low to recharge a battery that way. You can maintain it that way but you'll never recharge it. Your best bet is to plug into shore power if you can get to it and let your converter charge it for a while. If you're using a 15A plug to do it, you should be able to charge and run the refrigerator down at the same time provided you don't run the AC and make sure the cord is heavy duty and as short as possible. The charger will draw some decent amps while the battery is low so I'd run the refrigerator on propane while this is going on.

Old 09-29-2016, 03:18 PM   #3
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbdrell View Post
So to charge the battery I plugged in the truck 7 pin connector. Well after almost 2 hrs the TT battery indicator still registers still low. Question. Is the reason it's not charging the battery is that the truck is idling? Any info is appreciated.

Robb
Using the tow vehicle to recharge the battery is the least effective method.
Most tow vehicles will only provide a trickle charge while driving.
It would take hours of driving to recharge a depleted battery.
And even more hours if idling.

Your method is a last resort when you don't have shore power, generator or solar for recharging.

Why haven't you just plugged the shore cord into your friends house?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:43 AM   #4

Odds are your battery is damaged and may not provide its rated capacity anymore. For most folks that is not an issue since they camp at campgrounds and are plugged in.

You may be able to "shock" the battery and de-sulfur the plates with an auto battery charger and run it on a high amperage setting for a bit.

Good luck.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:04 AM   #5

Battery cond. is the result of how long your batts were dead, age, etc.. Also, de-sulfer is all hooie as there is no proof that stuff works. Recharge them on a rated charger, buy a battery hydrometer, test each cell and then you will know the batts cond.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:07 AM   #6

Back when, you could buy a charger with the desulfation mode (which is basically a pulsed high amperage current induced in the basic charge current) but I don't see them offered any more.

All batteries sulfate over time, no matter what type other than a a Lithium-Ion (I think). If it has sulfuric acid and lead plates inside....

I would think that a flooded cell battery would be more prone to eventual death from sulfation than an AGM because the oxide drops to the bottom and eventually shorts the plates..

Or at least that's what I think happens....

One thing I do know for sure and that is, I never buy a pre-charged flooded cell battery, I always buy a dry charged (electrolyte in a separate container) and 'charge' the battery myself. Reason being is that an idle battery sitting on a shelf waiting for a customer to buy it is sulfating it's life away.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Back when, you could buy a charger with the desulfation mode (which is basically a pulsed high amperage current induced in the basic charge current) but I don't see them offered any more.
They still make them, but they're a little pricey. I use one of these.

CTEK Multi US 7002 - CTEK Battery ChargersCTEK Battery Chargers
Old 10-03-2016, 11:33 AM   #8

Progressive dynamics has a desulfation cycle as does the solar charge controller from Bogart, but everybody resists a true desulfation cycle since the voltages (15 or more) could damage attached electronics.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging